PDA

View Full Version : cabin filter change.

05highroof
12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Took a few minutes today today to install a new cabin filter.I don't think the stock filter had ever been changed.As you can tell by comparison it was really dirty. I think a lot of the darkish buildup on the filter was do to the leaky injector I had.
The new filter really increased the air flow through the dash vents.

Working a punch into the back of these clips was an easy way to remove them.
This was my first time changing the cabin filter in a sprinter,it took me about 20 minutes.

BaywoodBill
12-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi 05highroof,

Thanks for the write up. Many have reported it being very difficult to change that filter. 20 minutes sounds not too difficult.

sikwan
12-25-2007, 06:21 PM
05Highroof, how many miles did you go through with that first filter? Looks like it went through some really dusty conditions. Thanks! :thumbup:

contractor
12-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Highroof
Now that you changed the dust filter did you happen to find the "tailgate interior filter" that is also mentioned in the service manual? I find this service manual extremely challenging to say the least.

mbcruiser
12-25-2007, 10:43 PM
a little bit more about changing the cabin filter is attached.

It is easy, but I spent a little more than 20 minutes getting the plastic housing back into the right slots to make it resecured.....maybe it's my fumble fingers......
The velcro strip makes it a little challenging when everything has to line up exactly at the same time....
but it eventually goes back together.

(I changed mine @ 30k miles, and it wasn't too bad, even having been on some dusty roads.
Air filter was changed at the same time, and it too wasn't too bad, but it was a lot easier to change.....see http://www.piercehome.us/Sprinter/AirFilter.pdf)

05highroof
12-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Sikwan, I bought this truck used and as far as I can tell this filter has never been changed.The truck has 138k on the odo.
I can say that the filter really does a great job at keeping dust/dirt out of the interior.I'm amazed at how clean the inside of the ducts are in the dash even with the filter being really crusty.This is a great feature!
Another reason to keep this filter clean is that the added restriction causes the blower to work harder then needed potentially shortening its life.
Contractor I have not heard of the filter you mentioned,Maybe this is a filter found in a passenger sprinter?

contractor
12-26-2007, 04:40 PM
What about the "tailgate interior filter"? Does that animal even exist?

Ancote
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Many thanks Mbcruser, with this document photo it will be easier to replace it.:clapping:
Andre :thumbup:

a little bit more about changing the cabin filter is attached.

It is easy, but I spent a little more than 20 minutes getting the plastic housing back into the right slots to make it resecured.....maybe it's my fumble fingers......
The velcro strip makes it a little challenging when everything has to line up exactly at the same time....
but it eventually goes back together.

(I changed mine @ 30k miles, and it wasn't too bad, even having been on some dusty roads.
Air filter was changed at the same time, and it too wasn't too bad, but it was a lot easier to change.....see http://www.piercehome.us/Sprinter/AirFilter.pdf)

maxzoom
04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
What about the "tailgate interior filter"? Does that animal even exist?

If you have a rear airconditioner it is located in the ceiling near the rear doors.

REK
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Many thanks for the links!!

Aqua Puttana
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
//snip//
Another reason to keep this filter clean is that the added restriction causes the blower to work harder than needed potentially shortening its life.
//snip//
It is not true that a clogged filter will load the fan more. The Sprinter (and every other?) vehicle blowers are centrifugal squirrel cage fans, not positive displacement type fans. It's a bit counter intuitive, but a centrifugal fan will actually move more air as the flow is less restricted. If a centrifugal fan or pump flow is restricted on either the inlet or outlet the loads on the fan will decrease. As one guy from across the pond once pointed out, if you put your hand over a vacuum cleaner hose pipe the fan unloads and speeds up. The vacuum cleaner also has a centrifugal fan.

As an aside, with centrifugal liquid pumps you most always want to restrict the outlet so as not to starve the pump which can cause cavitation, maybe heating and possibly run seals dry.

That said, it's still a good idea to change the filter, but not changing it will not increase the work load of your fan. Hope this does some good. AP

miki
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Good links - It may not be evident in the pictures but the cabin filter does not go in flush with the removable housing that you take off. It goes in at an angle. It took me a bit of fiddling (I remember complaining that the part was incorrect) before I got it in :D:

Truesh324
11-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks to all on this thread and forum. I had no air coming through vents. Changed filter in less than 5 minutes and now have great air flow for defrost, floor and vents!!!!

Took a few minutes today today to install a new cabin filter.I don't think the stock filter had ever been changed.As you can tell by comparison it was really dirty. I think a lot of the darkish buildup on the filter was do to the leaky injector I had.
The new filter really increased the air flow through the dash vents.

Working a punch into the back of these clips was an easy way to remove them.
This was my first time changing the cabin filter in a sprinter,it took me about 20 minutes.

hayduke
08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks.
I also found this helpful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnxYHB6rcsg

TASman26
07-17-2015, 03:11 AM
Now I know the cabin filter must go up into the housing at an angle up inside the housing. Interesting as it would seem it was designed to go flush, but as you all now well know that is not the case.

hayduke
07-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Is the cabin filter really even needed if you always run the AC on recirc?

Aqua Puttana
07-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Is the cabin filter really even needed if you always run the AC on recirc?
:idunno:

Is the recirc 100%? Does some outside air leak in anyway? (Mother Mercedes times out your recirc for you.)

Most of us drove/rode in vehicles with no filter at all up to a relatively few years ago. Do all vehicles now have a cabin filter?

One advantage. It probably does help with keeping the evaporator coil clean.

I don't really buy the activated charcoal being effective. In my opinion the surface area and reside time is just not up to doing anything significant. It works great as marketing tool for the environmentally queasy though.

vic

cahaak
07-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Yes, the cabin filter is needed. It is a low cost part and if you are not in dusty conditions it can last 60K miles (mine does). It is quick to change and keeps the downstream components clean.

Chris

boardhauler
08-01-2015, 11:36 PM
I just purchased a 2006 Sprinter with 152,000 miles. I don't think they every changed the cabin air filter. The insulating blanket disintegrated in my hands. When I removed the cover plate, the edge seal was deteriorated badly.

I used window screen pile weatherstrip to replace the edge seal on the cover plate.

I used what was left of the insulting blanket to template a new one out of the mylar faced bubble wrap insulation and aluminum duct tape.

It is all back together now with a new carbon filter and running well.

I hope this helps someone else. It was much easier than searching for replacement parts.

cahaak
08-02-2015, 04:10 AM
It is not a big deal if you don't have the insulating blanket as a cover. I was missing mine when I purchased it. Made one out of thinsulate, but that one got some mice up in it and it is off now with no ill effects at all.

Chris

terra_firma
06-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Just did mine. Wasnt too bad but i noticed some things.

-the video helped, showing the edge of the filter facing you goes in First, and the rear edge of the filter goes in. There is indeed an angle, the front edge of the filter goes in the housing deeper than the rear edge

-wasnt completely sure if its seated right, it wouldnt go further but the back edge of the filter didnt wanna stay put and i kinda had to get the cover on quickly before it fell down. Is it possible to seat it wrong if i got the cover and latches back on?

-hook the cover to the back of the housing first, and then the front, then slide back into place

-foam on cover was pretty much gone, totally gone on the side that meets up with the latches. Gonna need some pretty thin weatherstripping to repair. Could i just tape the seam shut?

Im gonna recheck the filter and vacuum the gross cloth stuff tomorrow since it started raining right when i finished

terra_firma
07-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Any thoughts on replacing the foam strips/taping up the housing? If the missing foam is rendering the filter useless i'd wanna take care of it

Midwestdrifter
07-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Using some weatherstripping tape is a good idea. A few pieces of aluminum duct tape to seal the cover can't hurt, and may help reduce losses.

Turning the fan on high and feeling around the cover will help you identify if you have any leaks.

billintomahawk
06-20-2018, 05:54 PM
2002 Freightliner T1N

Found the cabin filter...

https://photos.smugmug.com/SSprinter-van-2002/i-SjsGczN/0/0918c52b/XL/IMG_4155-XL.jpg

Sucked it clean with the shop vac...

https://photos.smugmug.com/SSprinter-van-2002/i-rKvt9rT/0/ad2258f4/XL/IMG_4158-XL.jpg

I was wanting to put it back flat until I watched the video and angled it up in front.

I redid the front gasket with packing tape.
The clips that hold the insulating blanket are humorous.

So that's two dead mice in the fan and a mouse nest underneath, a burned out speed module and the nest above.

They say the mosquitos are bad in Wisconsin but there is worse.

bill in tomahawk.

Aqua Puttana
06-20-2018, 06:08 PM
The clips that hold the insulating blanket are humorous.
bill in tomahawk.
I gave up on those. The 2004 now has some light bungee cord holding the outer insulation up into place.

The 2006 came without any outer insulation. I'm with Chris as to it being worth replacing or not.

It is not a big deal if you don't have the insulating blanket as a cover. I was missing mine when I purchased it. Made one out of thinsulate, but that one got some mice up in it and it is off now with no ill effects at all.

Chris

I found some sticky one side foam insulation tape worked to replace the crumbled OEM joint seal on both the 2004 and 2006.

vic

billintomahawk
06-21-2018, 03:42 AM
I gave up on those. The 2004 now has some light bungee cord holding the outer insulation up into place.

The 2006 came without any outer insulation. I'm with Chris as to it being worth replacing or not.

I found some sticky one side foam insulation tape worked to replace the crumbled OEM joint seal on both the 2004 and 2006.

vic

Vic,
I've got some Velcro kicking around, might try that.

b

az7000'
06-23-2018, 04:48 PM
I was just about to ask about the clips, I suppose if i snap a clip forcing it I can bungee or velcro it up. I can't figure out that clip!

monoloco
04-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Has anyone had problems with Hengst cabin air filter fitment? I ordered one from Europarts SD and it seems to be about a 1/4" large on both sides to fit into the housing.