A good Sprinter ice scraper?

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Well it's happened. The first snow. With all the un-garageable tall roofs out there I am hoping someone has invented or sourced a good ice scraper that will reach all of the windshield? I know from other posts that wiper linkage can be easily stripped if you start them up frozen to the windscreen. I carry a broom but still have not found a good scraper or a place to stash it?:thinking:

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Try visiting a for-real Truck Stop. They carry long-handled snow/ice scrapers (broom on one end, scraper on the other, about 3 feet long)
(also found at some auto parts stores in industrial areas of the city...)

brush2.JPG

((and you do realize that the holes in your front bumper are foot-holds to help you get up there?))

Stash?
When not in use i bungee it to a vertical bit of my added wooden framework (see http://rseymour.home.wolfenet.com/sprinter/ )
When in-use, i lay it on the floor under the emergency brake lever.

--dick

Last edited:

mendonsy

I found a good one in Tractor Supply two years ago. It has extendable handle 3' to 5' and everything! It might be worth a look.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
There was a T1N owner in Seattle - haven't seen him for a few years - and he used a strip of used of plastic tarp, the width of the wind shield. He had magnets duct-taped across the length of the tarp from driver to passenger side on the long edges.

The magnets held it in place well enough to withstand wind. I don't remember if he also taped magnets down the short sides or not....

He basically rolled it across the windshield at night, just adjusting it on either side with his hands, standing on a step ladder.

In the morning he'd either brush the snow off with the push broom or just yank it off, ice 'n all, roll it up and go.

FWIW

-Jon

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Spray de-icer (alcohol) from any auto parts store is quick and clean for ice or frost. Snow would probably need to be removed first.

Gary

Boater

((and you do realize that the holes in your front bumper are foot-holds to help you get up there?))
Not on pre-2000 models, no steps in the bumper. just washing the screen is a nightmare, hadn't considered ice yet. Good reason to use a silver screen?

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Thanks for all the advice. Vic, I think the pillar is the natural place to store it. Maybe could get by without telescoping if stashed there? The foot wells do work (Boater must struggle) but I don't like the acrobatics involved. Had a scraper like yours Dick and it worked, I only wished it was a tad longer for my 5ft 9 inch frame and a wider scraper blade would make shorter work on that big windshield. I am thinking the ideal "Swiss Army Knife" of scrapers would include a brush, a tough narrow scarper for the thick ice, then a wide scraper for medium frost, and maybe a squeegee. Found a squeegee, old broom handle, and a couple of old scrapers in the garage. Think I'll take them down to the R&D dept. in the basement and see what I can cob together. Will report back on the Frankenstein scraper. Tim

david_42

Old trick from New Jersey, Land of the Midnight Ice Storm, get a couple small blocks of wood and put them under the wiper arms anytime you suspect there will be snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain. Get in the habit of propping them every time you park the vehicle and you won't wake up with them under an inch of ice.

Or all four at the same time, if you live in in the NY Finger Lakes region..

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I cannot tell a lie... the real secret to cleaning my frozen window is at the top dead center of my "long tool" photo.

See the thing in the dashboard with the display and 5 small buttons?
That's the programmable timer for the Auxiliary Heater.
Program it (if you know ahead of time), or scurry out 20 to 30 minutes before departure.
(that's between oatmeal and coffee for me). Press Red Button (center of the 5).
The furnace fires up, and the window (and wipers) are melted free (or at least slushy) by the time i actually want to move the Sprinter.

--dick

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Ops, there goes the millage but, I'll take one anyway. Anyone got a spare thousand dollars?

mendonsy

The one you're makin' looks a lot like the one I bought a couple years ago.
The only name I could find on it is "Storm Performers". I doubt that'll help much.

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ops, there goes the millage
The T1N Aux Heater uses one cup (1/4 L) of fuel per hour.

--dick
p.s. we have the full Aux Heater because we "bought off the lot", and it had it.
I honestly can't remember if we were planning to get one I am informed we were... (yes, dear).
(there were other things we wouldn't have gotten, such as the cargo area heater, heated driver's seat, nor the premium paint)
((we would have ordered the plain dark green, not the $895 metal flake))

Last edited:

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
The T1N Aux Heater uses one cup (1/4 L) of fuel per hour.

--dick
p.s. we have the full Aux Heater because we "bought off the lot", and it had it.
I honestly can't remember if we were planning to get one I am informed we were... (yes, dear).
(there were other things we wouldn't have gotten, such as the cargo area heater, heated driver's seat, nor the premium paint)
((we would have ordered the plain dark green, not the $895 metal flake))
Dick
1/4 cup, that's nothing, Maybe some day. I know what you mean, you can't necessarily get the options (especially as in my case buying a used Sprinter) you want the most. However in your case I'll bet you don't regret the extra's? Sounds and looks like you have got a beauty.

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
The one you're makin' looks a lot like the one I bought a couple years ago.
The only name I could find on it is "Storm Performers". I doubt that'll help much.
Thanks Mendonsy
That looks like like a good one. Nice and wide, kind of what I envisioned when making mine. I'll go with what I have until I find one like yours somewhere.
Tim

Top Bottom