PDA

View Full Version : User names

Amboman
11-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Should forum user names allowed to be their own business names and hence providing free advertising without a subscription fee ??

Altered Sprinter
11-07-2012, 08:53 AM
That's a catch 22 question.:hmmm:

mean_in_green
11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I disagree with the practice and would support a change to prevent it.

Some of the forum's contributors appear opposed to rules per se though, so be ready for an underwhelming response!

mendonsy
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't see it as a problem. In some cases it may actually be a benefit.
I think it is better to know that the responses posted by these users may have some sort of agenda like selling a product.

Aqua Puttana
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I disagree with the practice and would support a change to prevent it.

Some of the forum's contributors appear opposed to rules per se though, so be ready for an underwhelming response!
Prepare to be underwhelmed.

Nobody has a bigger stake in this issue than the forum owner. It gives the member free advertising so if it were a problem as to that I'm certain it would have been addressed.

I agree with Mendonsy. It let's us know who is who up front. No hiding behind some fake name like "Water Slut" or some other stupid choice.

Not to point anyone out (but I will)... I think it is helpful when Dennis chimes in here. Using Lindenengineering as his member name helps people to seek him out should they need him.

What are the downsides? vic

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't support forcing a business owner to use the business name.

To paraphrase an historic character (and I'm sorry if this offends anyone)

Members should be judged not by their username, but by the content of their postings.

I have over a dozen members in my "ignore list."

I'd rather my ignore list grow than ban a class of people because they own a business and elect a username to reflect it.

-Jon

hulagun
11-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Members should be judged not by their username, but by the content of their postings.

I'd rather my ignore list grow than ban a class of people because they own a business and elect a username to reflect it.

+1

Like Vic said, it is helpful to know who one is communicating with. Like knowing what model Sprinter they drive, where they live, etc, are helpful.

Jon, tell us more about how to start an "ignore list". I haven't got one yet, but some members are trying hard to get on it... :snore:

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
+1

Like Vic said, it is helpful to know who one is communicating with. Like knowing what model Sprinter they drive, where they live, etc, are helpful.

Jon, tell us more about how to start an "ignore list". I haven't got one yet, but some members are trying hard to get on it... :snore:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum -> User CP -> Edit Ignore List

User CP (Control Panel)

Edit Ignore List

-Jon

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
<snip>
some fake name like "Water Slut" or some other stupid choice.

Not to point anyone out (but I will)... I think it is helpful when Dennis chimes in here. Using Lindenengineering as his member name helps people to seek him out should they need him.

What are the downsides? vic

I just realized you like boating and finally put your username together..... I am so slow.

Anyway, I don't see too much of a downside.

We run people outta here pretty fast with peer pressure.

I'd prefer to take care of myself and reduce the role of forum moderation to moving threads and banning obviously clueless sales/marketers.

I just did a search and can't find any of those postings that said, "speaking of fuel injectors, did you know you can get discounted insulin injection supplies from bob's mortuary and medical supply. Check it out! Oh, and with my insulin order I got 6 months of survival lunch meats with a 10 year shelf life at 50% off!"

:dripsarcasm:

-Jon

OrioN
11-07-2012, 07:18 PM

-Jon

Moi?

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Moi?

Don't be ridiculous. You're too smart to ignore.

OrioN
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Don't be ridiculous. You're too smart to ignore.

...that's it? that's all??

:shifty:

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 08:03 PM
...that's it? that's all??
:shifty:

"Smart" is worth more than anything I can think of.... you were hoping for something additional and/or different?

OrioN
11-07-2012, 08:08 PM
"Smart" is worth more than anything I can think of.... you were hoping for something additional and/or different?

... at this point and after my multiple journeys around our sun... I feel a) I no longer have me smarts, as it appears... "I should have known that" or "I knew that" have become part of my dialogues :thinking:, and b) 20 somethings no longer look at me with that 'special' look. ...apparently I am no longer a part of the gene pool.... :cry:

I've now been banking on my wonderful personality and special humour....

jdcaples
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
... this point and after my multiple journeys around our sun... I feel a) I no longer have me smarts, as it appears... "I should have known that" or "I knew that" have become part of my dialogues :thinking:, and 2) 20 somethings no longer look at me with that 'special' look. :cry:

ok... you're too hilarious and charming to ignore.

OrioN
11-07-2012, 08:33 PM
ok... you're too hilarious and charming to ignore.

< SMOOOOOTCH >

back to topic...

I personally don't mind User Names that endorse business that help us Sprinter folks. I do mind when a vendor appears that either 1) goes into overdrive with pushing goods and services, and/or 2) peddles goods and service, (that will go un-exampled :smilewink:) that potentially create moral/ethical/legal issues.

Fortunately, this forum has it's own way of moderating the latter.... :smilewink:

Aqua Puttana
11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I just realized you like boating and finally put your username together.....
-Jon
Even after too many years I continue to prostitute myself just to be out on the water. :tongue:

Ah-h-h... morally bankrupt.

I lean on my accumulated wealth. So far flaunting being a thousandaire hasn't gotten me into any trouble with 20 somethings though. :rolleyes:

The member name thing doesn't bother me. What really grinds my gears is members who help to keep well intentioned threads going way off topic.:dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

(That's why I always jump in. I'm even good at pissing myself off!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGjwMMlUhCQ

vic

Amboman
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Meanwhile back at the ranch, i think the success of these forums is that we are all to some extent slightly
anonymous and can contribute equally within peer pressure and group ethos criteria and enjoy problem solving
and sharing technical expertise or learning same from the knowledge of qualified members discussing our love
of the Sprinter and what it gives us whilst not labelling ourselves with "Seattle Mercedes Dealer"
franchises available in our signature line.
:popcorn:

autostaretx
11-07-2012, 11:32 PM
what it gives us whilst not labelling ourselves with "Seattle Mercedes Dealer"
There are (and historically have been) a number of valued members/posters who were dealers or working there.
(there have also been a few who only seem to post to advertise inventory)

The former far outnumbered the latter (and, in the right frame of mind, i can find the latter amusing for their lameness)

--dick (unaccompanied)

Amboman
11-07-2012, 11:47 PM
My apologies the name Seattle was a freudian sub conscious slip and meant as a figurative example and not
a literal example insert "Artic Lawnmowing Company" instead :thumbup: