Dealer can't seem to get part! help!

mmefferd

I don't know if it is the dealers fault or the supplier but I took my 2008 diesel sprinter in for a check engine light problem. They tested the system and found faults 3119 and 2951 which indicated replacement of the 10CHZ2- Temp Sensor. The Dodge dealer did not have the part in stock so I had to pick up the van and come back when it came in. I went back when called and it turns out the wrong part came in so I pick up the van again. They reorder the correct part so I brought her in again today and they say the sensor is right but the connector on it is different than what my van has. Anyway I am getting frustrated and wanted to know if the dealership is incompetent or the parts manufacture has inconveniently changed the connector on this part and it's just one of those things.

Anyones help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

mmefferd

Closest Mercedes dealer is 1 1/2 hours away so I had hopes in the local Dodge dealer. I might have to go that route but it would mean a day.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Closest Mercedes dealer is 1 1/2 hours away so I had hopes in the local Dodge dealer. I might have to go that route but it would mean a day.
Call the MB dealership, confirm they work on Sprinters, first.

For your own info:
3119-EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR UPSTREAM OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER - PERFORMANCE

Theory Of Operation
There are three exhaust gas temperature sensors in the system. The first is located upstream of the Catalytic Converter. The second is located in the Catalytic Converter. The third is located upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter. These are used by the Engine Control Module to monitor the exhaust temperatures in the system.

•When Monitored: With the engine running.
•Set Condition: The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects an implausible signal from the Upstream Catalytic Converter Temperature Sensor.

-Jon

mmefferd

Call the MB dealership, confirm they work on Sprinters, first.

For your own info:
3119-EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR UPSTREAM OF CATALYTIC CONVERTER - PERFORMANCE

Theory Of Operation
There are three exhaust gas temperature sensors in the system. The first is located upstream of the Catalytic Converter. The second is located in the Catalytic Converter. The third is located upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter. These are used by the Engine Control Module to monitor the exhaust temperatures in the system.

•When Monitored: With the engine running.
•Set Condition: The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects an implausible signal from the Upstream Catalytic Converter Temperature Sensor.

-Jon
Thanks Jon,

I am wondering why the Dodge dealer in Bremerton is having so much trouble getting the right part to fix this temp sensor. They say they were able to replace one sensor but the other one has come in wrong twice. They say it looks like the right part but has the wrong connector. Dodge has sent photos to the supplier in an attempt to get the right part. I just wanted to know if the dealer has the right training or if it is just one of those things.

My alternative is to take the ferry across to Lynnwood Mercedes but I would like to avoid the long trip.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My alternative is to take the ferry across to Lynnwood Mercedes but I would like to avoid the long trip.
Tell Dodge dealer to get the part from the MB dealer. Dealerships sell parts to each other at a discount, so Dodge will still be able to make a profit selling through to you. (they'll like that)

You (or they) could call the MB parts desk with the part number (and maybe email a photo of the right/wrong connectors)

I wonder if Dodge is ordering the DPF upstream sensor instead of the Cat Upstream...

--dick

BRANCALEONE

Hello mmefford welcome to the forum.:hugs:
Sorry to hear about your problem with Bremerton Dodge.
It is not news.
Bremerton Dodge is really terrible in every way.
I tried to do business locally but I guess they only like your money with terrible customer service. They will try to sell you services that you don't really need. So.. be aware!
I would suggest Rainier Dodge in Olympia.:cheers:
Contact Aaron at customer desk.
Bremerton Dodge sucks really bad.
Mercedes of Lynnwood is very knowledgable, but far away from Bremerton.
Good luck.

Mauro

Mrdi

My temp sensor went out on my 2008 at 10k.
Mercedes got it right the first time.
When you consider the back and forth trips to the Dodge dealer
maybe the longer distance to MB is actually shorter?

david_42

I'd vote for incompetent. The Dodge dealership in Salem can give them lessons. When I was having a SCREEM problem, they ordered the wrong part, then ordered the correct part. When the part arrived, it went into stock. Got pulled from stock and installed on someone else' van! Third time around they got it right. And all that time I was driving a gas-guzzling Dodge pickup as a loaner.

(They asked me to rate the truck, no idea why. It was one of those typical sales questionnaires: 1=great 5= fabulous!)

Last edited:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Hold on before ya start bashin' .. Ran into this very recently. steps to be taken were as follows. 1 record the origanal part # from the old temp sensor, check to see if the new one matches or does it superced to the one ya got. next if it does superced. The only difference is the connector key (its in the middle, instead of off to the side). What I ended up doing was removing the connector housing from the old sensor to the new one, this worked and all is fine with the vehicle. some times a little bit of thinking while the issue gets worked out can save a lot of hassle.

Carl

autostaretx

Erratic Member
maybe the longer distance to MB is actually shorter?
In mmefferd's case, it's either $100+ in ferry rides (and at least 3 hours of travel time), or about 3.5 hours to drive around Puget Sound.

--dick
p.s. I agree with Carl.. that's what i would'a done myself (assuming/hoping that the electrical parameters of the new part matched the old)

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
It's unfortunate that Dealerships don't always pay techs to think, but merely to follow orders.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
We got a saying up here aboot this...

If you can't make it in the auto industry....

.... there's always Chrysler.

Actually.... I made it up.

lindenengineering

Don't be too hard on dealerships especially this past week.
That hurricane Sandy has put a lot of logistics into a flat spin.

I wanted some fairly simple stuff for an urgent TIN head repair and spent hours and I mean hours trying to scare up some parts from around the US. I was let down twice!

Landrover parts were also affected , I got very few parts from the central suppliers this week, and as for one supplier in Albany NY it was forget it for two weeks!

Remember we live in a "just in time" supply world. If one link goes down there are no parts or services. You can blame "cash for clunkers" for 50% of this fiasco. Parts holding by many dealers has been drastically curtailed since that crazy Gov intervention/meddling in the motor vehicle repair industry. Nowadays its all up & dependent upon central parts divs/distribution hubs to take up the strain of demand.

Dennis

mmefferd

Thank you all for the replies. I think the best thing is to hit a different dealer. This is under warranty and it does not seem to effect the drivablility so it is hard to make the all day trip to a more qualified outfit but it looks like the thing to do.

Thanks again,

Mike

Top Bottom