Early Trubo rplacement

Atrekker2

Just got off the phone with mechanic. Took in for check engine light. didn't fell like it was limping (been through that problem) but didn't seem to be gettig turbo boost during accleration Bad news! Need to replace turbo on 2007 Sprinter based RV that has less than 50K miles. Vehicle has been well maintained and not driven hard. Trust my mechanic. He indicates wife who works in warranty service at a Mercedes dealer states that this is not an uncommon problem with this model. Any one with similar expereince?

P.S. repair expected to be approx $4500. Not likely to consider another sprinter in hte future.

talkinghorse43

Turbo problems are not commonly reported here. Unless you really feel the need to empty your pockets to your mechanic, I'd look for a second opinion - preferably someone with a dealer-level scan tool.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip> He indicates wife who works in warranty service at a Mercedes dealer states that this is not an uncommon problem with this model. Any one with similar expereince?

P.S. repair expected to be approx $4500. Not likely to consider another sprinter in hte future.
Ask him what t-shooting methods he used to determine your turbo charger is bad.....

When my EGR system failed, I explained the symptoms to a couple of light duty diesel mechanics run into on occasion, just to see what they'd say. "It's probably your turbo. I'd check your waste gate." Uh, no.

Considering MB didn't acknowledge 2007 Sprinters in the US as "MB products," I don't know how she could say it's "not an uncommon problem with this model."

Our local MB dealership has never mentioned to me that my 2007 turbo's a known trouble spot.

I agree with talkinghorse43. Get the thing scanned with Chrysler's (Dodge scan tool) WiTECH or Mercedes-Benz' scan tool, Star Diagnosis System.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Just got off the phone with mechanic. Took in for check engine light. didn't fell like it was limping (been through that problem) but didn't seem to be gettig turbo boost during accleration Bad news! Need to replace turbo on 2007 Sprinter based RV that has less than 50K miles. Vehicle has been well maintained and not driven hard. Trust my mechanic. He indicates wife who works in warranty service at a Mercedes dealer states that this is not an uncommon problem with this model. Any one with similar expereince?

Not sure where you are but an 07 may still be under the 5yr 100k warranty. It is most likely the dreaded egr valve/cooler slime and not your turbo. Here in CA sold as a Dodge, serviced as a dodge is the rule for warranty work.
If the bill were zero you may find new lust for that sprinter.

DO NOT REPLACE YOUR TURBO WITHOUT TALKING TO DOKTOR A first to get some troubleshooting procedures!!!

Facts:

The Garrett turbo chargers used by MB for our Sprinters are very good and reliable units.

The service life is typically 100's of thousand miles, not 10's of thousand.

The turbo health cannot be determined by things like wiggling the shaft to check for play.

Scuffs or signs of housing contact by the turbine blades indicate a turbo which is indeed in trouble. Otherwise special procedures are needed to determine condition.

Opinion:

Many, many Sprinter turbos are replaced by experienced well meaning mechanics not familiar with Sprinters only to find that it has not cured the problem. Even some dealerships seem to jump too quickly at turbo replacements.

Call Doktor A. He's willing to help us. This is a time which you should be using his offer to help. vic

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The turbos used in Sprinters don't appear to fail that often. EGR valves tend to clog up depending on if the Sprinter is left idling a lot.

Of the people who replaced their turbos, many found that it was not the problem. It has often been air leaks in the turbo hoses, failed turbo resonators, bad air temp sensors or a clogged EGR.

I don't tend to trust too many service people with my Sprinter. Unless the person works on a lot of them and has the right diagnostic tools, they tend to start guessing at what is wrong. There can be lots of reasons for Turbo issues on a Sprinter, but not always easy to diagnose if you are not Sprinter savvy.

Atrekker2

Appreciate the timely responses. Do trust mechanic. Specializes in MBZ repairs, has diagnostics in shop and services Sprinters regularly. Has been great at taking care of issues Sprinter qualified menchanic at the dealership couldn't find or fix. Having said that, hearing that turbo failure is rare will give dealer a chance for a second opinion.
As for warranty this is the second time I have been caught in the RV warranty period trap, where MBZ warranty clock starts when vehicle is delivered to RV manufacturer not when the final purchaser takes delivery. Chassis is 2007 and delivered in Jan RV conversion (as a 2008 model) is completed and I buy in August. Had to fight with MBZ to honor (or extend ) warranty on power sterring assembly that went out (dealer had failed on three occasions to identify the source of loss of PS fluid) at 34 months using the August date but 40 months with the Jan. start date. RV manufactures do not let folks know that they are only getting the balance of the manufactures warranty and not the full term.

Atrekker2

Not sure where you are but an 07 may still be under the 5yr 100k warranty. It is most likely the dreaded egr valve/cooler slime and not your turbo. Here in CA sold as a Dodge, serviced as a dodge is the rule for warranty work.
If the bill were zero you may find new lust for that sprinter.
Am in US. Don't have warranty info handy. Was under the impression that warranty was only 3 yr, 36k. but that was on a steering component issue. I know there is often longer periods for emissions systems and specific components. will check MBS website for warranty info.
Thanks again

showkey

Appreciate the timely responses. Do trust mechanic. Specializes in MBZ repairs, has diagnostics in shop and services Sprinters regularly. Has been great at taking care of issues Sprinter qualified menchanic at the dealership couldn't find or fix. Having said that, hearing that turbo failure is rare will give dealer a chance for a second opinion.
As for warranty this is the second time I have been caught in the RV warranty period trap, where MBZ warranty clock starts when vehicle is delivered to RV manufacturer not when the final purchaser takes delivery. Chassis is 2007 and delivered in Jan RV conversion (as a 2008 model) is completed and I buy in August. Had to fight with MBZ to honor (or extend ) warranty on power sterring assembly that went out (dealer had failed on three occasions to identify the source of loss of PS fluid) at 34 months using the August date but 40 months with the Jan. start date. RV manufactures do not let folks know that they are only getting the balance of the manufactures warranty and not the full term.
There should be no warranty trap........the clock starts at first retail sale............this is absolute fact and is covered by the MAG MOSS warranty law. The RV dealer may have failed to report the retail sale, but that can be corrected with the sale contract. There should be no fight if you have proof of first sale........this would be a no brainer for an attorney if MB does not see the light.

Did you buy this new and very low miles like under 500 right ........as per the contract??????

One problem for you could be, if your RV up fitter is or was buying on the discount retail or wholesale market from a dealer (and not from MB) and then modifying and reselling then MB would be getting the first in service date from the original selling dealer. Then that would open a whole another can of worms as you thought you were buying new and when in fact you were buying used or technically second owner.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
showkey said:
and is covered by the MAG MOSS warranty law.
For the curious (i was): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

..and it sure looks like
A "consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use. A buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.
would apply here...

but...
A "service contract" is different from a warranty because service contracts do not affirm the quality or workmanship of a consumer product. A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions.
might give MB some wiggle-room

--dick (not a lawyer in any way, shape or form)

Last edited:

Turbo John

4500 dollars is rape........I have owned several turbocharged cars........and turbo charged race cars.

The turbo can be removed in an hour or two and replaced in the same time.

Send the turbo in to a rebuilder .there are many in the country......maybe it needs a bearing or new impeller. There is not much that can go wrong with a turbocharger..they are a very simple device.

Call Garret.....or " Precision Turbo" up in Indiana and they will tell you where to send it.

PLUMMER

YUPPP, I went thru a turbo problem with my 2007. Has to fight Dodge in court to win a new turbo. After all the tests troubleshooting by SEVERAL dodge dealers ( who are useless with sprinters) and MB dealers, I finally got a new turbo. It didnt fix the problem. The Hoekstra - Frieghtliner guys here in Troy,MI diagnosed it properly in less than 5 minutes. A ground connection in a molex connector. Spread the prongs properly and it works fine. Of course they had seen several of these, saving customers lots on $$$$$, and not having to replace the turbo. However the 2007's do have turbo problems as a direct result of the EGR and DPF system. Good luck, the wiring problem is not easy to diagnose or find unless you've done a few and know what to look for. The hotter it gets the more the molex connector expands. hard to find intermittent issues like this. This is a result of dealers not working on enuff sprinters and under qualified techs.

Sure would be nice if the original poster would get back to us with an update. Who knows where the repairs may have headed since the end of October? :idunno: vic

Nhuskys

I just went through the... "You need a turbo." thing. Mine was tear in hose from intercooler and turbo resonator alignment. Dealer quoted $4500, but I fixed it myself with less than $200 in parts from Europarts and a couple of hours time. Thanks again to Doktor A and members of this forum!:thumbup:

tampes

I did post another message with the Limp mode issue, but I got the same message from the first dealership I went to. They wanted to replace the turbo + manifold + EGR for a total of $9500...of course I got a second opinion and the second dealer replaced the ECM (PCM) for 2300$ which did resolve the issue for about 3 days...van (2007 grooming conversion) is back in the shop for further troubleshooting...I really don't know what to do here...need to have the Van running for business, it's not an RV for fun ....any input

PLUMMER

I would say, you really have to search for a dealer that has been working on these vans since they were brought to the states. Every time I read these threads and knowing what I went thru, I realize how lucky I am to have the Hoekstra dealer in my area. To bad they didn't have a tech line, could be a lot of help for us. Especially those that have some serious diagnostic tools, or those way out in the bush. Hours or even days away from any kind of sprinter dealer.

Top Bottom