engine stalled when making slow turn

Just purchased used 2005 Sprinter, my wife was driving today with my children in the van, as she made a slow right turn the engine died. She pulled over, put it in park and restarted the van and it did not die again. she slowed down and made several turns and it did not die again. The van has 55,000 miles, we just had glow plugs replaced, dealer said they put in new alternator(claimed it cost $2000). Anyone have ideas on what may have made the van die? it was about 90 degrees at time the engine died..
Thanks

while I am posting for first time...we want to reset radio, it is asking for code, we do not know the code. Thanks

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
There have been a number of people with similar problems where it turned out to to be a Flaky Cam Positioning Sensor. I keep a spare one in my Sprinter.

The OEM Alternator can be had for much less than $2000. Most stock T1N Sprinter alternators are 90 amps. The 150 amp one fits fine (It's what I put in mine) - Its nice to have the extra power capacity. It's not that hard to change.

Radio Codes can be found here:

http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/:

Sprinter 05-06radiocodes.pdf
Sprinter Becker radiocodes02-04.pdf

You probably also want the 2005 Parts manual too ( 05va-parts manual.pdf )
and the 2004-2006 Service Manual ( 2006-VA-SM.pdf)

Attachments

Last edited:

What jmoller99 provided.

Additional thoughts. There have been others who report the engine dying in similar situations. Was the engine just idling? 90 degrees... Was the AC on? The computer is constantly adjusting fuel rate to maintain the proper idle speed so there is a fluctuation in power which is generally imperceptible, but it is there. IF the engine was idling with the load of the AC and then the additional load of the power steering pump (or worse yet the AC compressor kicked on simultaneously) it may have caught the engine computer at low power point so it just couldn't react soon enough to recover. Unless it becomes a recurring problem there may be nothing to worry about.

I believe Dick autostaretx has mentioned that his Sprinter dies occasionally under certain conditions and a specific turn direction. An advanced search from the blue bar above may take you to his comments.

Welcome to the forum. Corpus Christi?? It's kinda big, but say hello to Terry Flynn, Quantum Sails for me if you see him. Good luck. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I believe Dick autostaretx has mentioned that his Sprinter dies occasionally under certain conditions and a specific turn direction. An advanced search from the blue bar above may take you to his comments.
...or i can repeat myself.

Yes, this happens to my 2005 ... immediately after (during, actually) a right turn from a stopped (first car at light) state at one particular level intersection here in Seattle.
(no airconditioner running at the time, engine warmed up after 12 minutes of in-city 25 mph driving).
The Sprinter would "roll-start" itself before i had enough time to do other than fret.

It would only happen perhaps once per 60 times through that intersection, and (if i recall correctly) has only happened two other times in all the rest of my Sprinter driving.

No obvious codes (no CEL, the ScanGauge didn't see it, and i don't recall it appearing on my DAD).
Since i retired 2 years ago, and no longer commute through that intersection, it hasn't happened since.
I'm willing to believe that the particular "crowning" of the road was contributing to the issue (putting me a little more "nose down, leaning right" than usual).

So i can collaborate/commiserate that "it happens to me, too (rarely)", but i haven't isolated a cause.
I do try to avoid popping out of corners in front of rapidly oncoming traffic without an escape lane to roll into.

good luck
--dick

Thanks, It has not happened again. i will have to go see if there was a slope in the road where the van stalled. Honestly, my wife has taken over the van and i have only driven it a couple of times since we got it...she has solved the radio problem ..she also had it re badged to a mercedes. took a few years to get her to agree on a Sprinter. So I am happy that she is happy. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom