Was a 3rd Man Front Bench Seat factory produced for T1N?

I have a 2002 Sprinter Cargo here in California. Using it for business and wish it had middle seat upfront so 3 guys could travel to a job site. I've seen after-market jump seats that can be installed, but I'd prefer to locate a factory issued bench that comes with the proper seat belts.

I know that some Sprinters have a 2-person passenger seat configuration for the front row, but not sure if that option was available here in the US for my model. Anyone have any insights?

I'd be happy to replace just the passenger seat (don't care if the fabric matches) or the entire front row, but whatever I buy needs to include all the brackets etc. No problem having it picked up and shipped here if necessary.

I know that some Sprinters have a 2-person passenger seat configuration for the front row, but not sure if that option was available here in the US for my model. Anyone have any insights?

From comments here by Euro members there is a OEM factory 3 person front seat for the T1N. Finding one here in North America is likely next to impossible. I believe the configuration is 2 person with a single driver seat. If cost isn't an object you could probably purchase one from across the pond and have it $hipped. Good luck. vic

Thanasis

Most cargo T1N's that I see here in Greece have a 3-seat configuration up front. It seems to be the standard here. Have you checked with your local MB dealer? They might be able to get you one.
T.

finegrind

I put in a brand new take out center console out of a 2011 Chevy silver ado that folds up into a seat and has seat belts and the child restraint connection points as well.
I cut the 4 floor mounts off just below the bottom of the console, then drilled 1/2" holes in them.
Positioned the console where I wanted it height wise, then drilled holes in driver and pass. Seat base sides and ran 24" x 1/2 " allthread thru all the holes while adding nuts and and washers as needed. Works perfect and actually looks like a factory option.
Total cost ; console. 100.00
Nuts,rod. 23.00
Total. 123.00

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Dodge had an option code for the two passenger front seat for the T1N NCV3.
It is/was CW9
ref pages "ix" and 59 in here: View attachment Sprinter Options.pdf

Parts page below.
If you bought the option, the passenger side had a larger airbag (and the center seat folds in fascinating ways).
If you added your own, it would require removing the front pedestal's cup holder, and the center passenger wouldn't have an airbag.

Based upon the way MB numbers their options, "CW9" might have been a valid code for the front bench in European T1N's.

DualSeatPic.jpg
DualSeatParts.jpg

The dual-seat pedestal is either Dodge part number 68010944AA or 68010980AA, depending upon body style.

Note that the above are all for the newer (NCV3) body style, but a little bit of creative fitting might get you somewhere...

--dick

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, Richard.... what are the part numbers for the T1N "seat, complete" and pedestal?
..then a quick trip to the local MB dealer and hand them the headache...

(note that Richard's pedestal is for a right-hand-drive Sprinter... so the strong pillar is on the seated passenger's LEFT, with the not-really-doing-anything "spacer" section on the passenger's right.)

--dick

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Seriously Dick a quick trip to MB:lol:They'd cost more than the vans worth today.
Bring them in from the UK its the cheapest route on a shipping container as they wont fit to the postal dimensions of USPS.
DSC00804 (Custom).JPG
I have them in the Ford Transit

DSC_1736 (Custom).JPG
NCV are not compatible to a TIN-IN-A-CAN

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Here's the reality of it all I could provide part numbers as to left or right configurations some folk drive on the wrong side of the road even in Europe LOL.
Center console has to be removed and ash tray on Auto requires ashtray delete option for extra drink holder .

Fabric replacement OEM two of as to year model, for the dual passenger seats part numbers again sourced from the UK as are the optional drink holders that compensate for the loss of the console drink holders.

I have the numbers but takes too much time as to re cycling them over and over again.
The Germans offered the lot we never had them unless you were in the know as to the codes to to over ride the EPC data base for import export to have them sent to foreign country outside of the EURO ZONE.

ONLY one ever did it stateside and that was GEORGE.
Quality retro fits makes our sprinters look like junk.
233 (Custom).jpg

Shorts_SC_7_Skyvan.jpg
I could arrange air freight but no one wants to pay the fuel bill:smilewink:
Richard

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
And now back to sanity...

In case it helps out the original poster, here is a diagram I found in the online parts catalog showing a NAFTA T1N jump seat option. It seems likely this option was ordered by some fleet purchasers. The headrest appears to bolt directly to a bulkhead.

Maybe one of the used Sprinter breakers will be able to sell you something like this. Please let us know what you find. :thumbup:

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
the dicky seat was for UPS or couriers not actually legal but exemption rules the day.
If any one stuck my butt on that seat for a long journey he'd end up DOA:laughing:

Boater

the dicky seat was for UPS or couriers not actually legal but exemption rules the day.
If any one stuck my butt on that seat for a long journey he'd end up DOA:laughing:
Wouldn't that make all 3 of you DOA? :tongue:

Have a look on ebay UK, most are only available for collection but you get a decent baggage allowance to the US :D:

Some really old ones like mine only have the box under the outer seat which supports a tubular frame which runs accross under both seats. The rail has 4 sockets (for want of better word) welded to the top which lugs on the bottom of the seat (base is also made of tubulars) slot into, and a single M8 bolt in the end plate holds the seat in place.

An enterprising previous owner modified the lugs on my seat to work both ways, so I can lift the seat out and turn around to use in the camper area when parked up (note - cannot plug seat belts in this way round so not for moving), it is also easy enough to lift the seat out and fit a board so I can get my 18 foot kayak in the van.....

Other seats have a double box under.

Obviously if you can source one in mainland Europe it will match your hill billy arrangement of the controls on the wrong side of the van :thumbup:
I think the seat base fits the floor specifcally either side.

Intersting observation - with a manual shift the middle passenger tends to get slightly cramped by the gear stick, or his knee battered on gear changes. The middle seat therefore makes more sense in an automatic, which is the default transmission in US, but the seat isn't?

This is my type:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item4ab2a332c1
Note seat belt sockets attached to seat base, outer seat belt is in B pillar, inner seat belt is a lap belt with the reel either attached to the frame (remember to look at it as if in a mirror), or to the hand brake mount (can't recall which buy it is in that area).
And yes I really do have the same fabric, but more worn out and faded!

Here is another with double box and 3 point belts for both seats:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-...CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item33767cc062
That would require more re-work on the belts, probably as much or more re-work on the base.

And now back to sanity...

In case it helps out the original poster, here is a diagram I found in the online parts catalog showing a NAFTA T1N jump seat option. It seems likely this option was ordered by some fleet purchasers. The headrest appears to bolt directly to a bulkhead.

Maybe one of the used Sprinter breakers will be able to sell you something like this. Please let us know what you find. :thumbup:
Thanks. Do you believe this was an after-market product or manufactured/sold by Mercedes? I've seen one or two jump seat kits offered online similar to this. I will look around over the next few weeks and see what turns up. Will update post here with any progress.

Seriously Dick a quick trip to MB:lol:They'd cost more than the vans worth today.
Bring them in from the UK its the cheapest route on a shipping container as they wont fit to the postal dimensions of USPS.
View attachment 46852
I have them in the Ford Transit

View attachment 46853
NCV are not compatible to a TIN-IN-A-CAN
Hmmm. Yes, perhaps importing them from Europe will be the most likely way to find a factory 2-person passenger seat. Communication may be a big hurdle however - the UK speaks my language but theirs would mount on the opposite side. So I'd need to search central Europe and either find a supplier who speaks English or do lots of bad translation online. Anyone across the pond have any used parts supplier referrals on the mainland?

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
You aren't likely to find a bolt-in solution in the USA other than the folding middle seat I mentioned. Despite Richard's "dicky" comment about the middle seat, it meets your original stated needs pretty well.

Importing a complete 2-person bench from a country where they drive on the RHS of the road is the best bet, as you said. There are thousands of Sprinters in Mexico and Canada, so you might be able to source such a seat "not overseas" so that shipping isn't as bad.

Good luck! :thumbup:
Ivan

Boater

I haven't met a German in over 20 years who didn't speak excellent English, likewise Dutch and Belgians. The French are rightly indignant out our apathy to learning their language so that although many do speak good English, they won't unless you at least try to speak French, which is fair enough.

Shipping and taxes would be cheaper from Mexico or Canada so definitely better places to look if you are serious.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
You'd be shot if going down to medico Amerikana gringo is not welcome.
Canada has not got them, but it costs more to buy in Canada than the U.S.A
It takes ESP WIS authorization to over ride the not available for NAFTA vehicles.
We can do it in Australia, not sure if the states can do it though?
But it comes back to price,if its more than 50 bucks they're not interested. :cry: Mind you you'd get more of the L'Essential from Quebec.They speak both English French and Amerikano.:popcorn:

bc339

Here are the MB part numbers for the seat box (#5). There are several part numbers for the double occupancy seat box, so it's a guess on my part. There are 4 part numbers for the seats, for the 4 fabric patterns available.

A 901 660 30 40
A 690 660 00 40

Bruce

Attachments

Top Bottom