Turbo Whistle, But From Where?

bstvanevr

04, passenger, high top, 2.7l 142,000 mi

I would first just like to thank you all for your time and thank god for this forum!
I did my home work on past turbo post's and checked the turbo resonator first for cracks. Checked the hoses for splits,cracks etc.. The resonator is plastic, but i bought the van 12,000 miles ago and do not know for sure if it is the original or not. I am posting a video with this post. It will very clearly give you the wistle i hear on acceleration but it may be hard to see much else. I will hope that someone could tell by hearing my problem what i should look for now. Thanks for any help. Almost forgot.. no code is coming up for turbo,air leak etc.http://youtu.be/xO4Vth_hFvY

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

You have excess oil at the back of the turbo, check inter-cooler hoses for intake for excess oil
Remove hose from cabin filter and check for flooded oil in the box
Remove hose to turbo and check the rotor veins for for carbon blockage and excessive oil if dry you turbo may be on its way out , as small amount of oil is required to lubricate the bearing etc.
The vans a good for decades if you look after them.
Richard

Richard

bstvanevr

Thank you! I will try everything you sugested and pray my turbo isn't on its way out.
I will let you know what i find.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thank you! I will try everything you sugested and pray my turbo isn't on its way out.
I will let you know what i find.
It would pay to have the van professionally scanned for codes as to other issues that's ending up causing the whine.
It's worth the bucks. just for peace of mind.
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Please let us know the outcome as speculation leads to off topic.Fingers crossed it's not going to be expensive, maybe just a turbo hose. :thumbup:
Cheers Richard

sailquik

Sounds more like a mechanical "squeal" to me.
Something that spins pretty fast is rubbing on a fixed surface.
Or perhaps it a leak at one of the tubo hose fittings, but it sure
sounds mechanical to me.
I'd pull the hose off the turbo outlet and check the end play on the turbocharger
shaft.
That does not sound at all like a turbocharger "spinning up". The turbo builds up
pressure a little more slowly and it spins down a little more slowly as well.
Are you sure the turbo is getting the correct amount of the right kind of oil.
If it's the turbo bearings or too much end float, you probalby need a new turbocharger.
Looks like the actuator is working well, so you only need the turbocharger or a rebuilt
turbocharger, or find someone who will rebuild your turbocharger.
MB/Dodge/Freightliner and Garrett will only sell you a complete assembly of the turbocharger
and the actuator for pretty high dollars.
Roger

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I've had this on a different turbo diesel. Its caused by one of the steel gaskets in the exhaust, either at the manifold to head join, or some other join in the exhaust circuit.

When the turbo spins up, and inlet and exhaust pressure increase, the echaust escapes under pressure out of the leak. The steel gasket acts like a reed in a musical instrument, vibrating within the leaking section, and causing that strange harsh mechanical squeal you are hearing.

So check for black soot marks at all of your exhaust manifold joins, that is where the leak will be.

bstvanevr

Wow! You guys are the best! I've got my work cut out for me. I will get back to you as soon as I can. I have to work today but I will start checking out all of these possibility's ASAP. I am a newbie and it's only because of this forum that I'm able to even think of doing this myself. I search the site to learn about all of the parts in the engine so I can pick them out by sight to work on them. I only say this so you all will understand where I am at mechanically and how tuff this maybe for me to figure out. I will hope for the best! Thanks again

Thanks for posting the video. I have had this same sort of noise coming from the engine bay for a while but have not been able to pinpoint the source. i suspected it was the serpentine belt but found out it had been replaced along with all the pulleys just prior to my ownership. I am suspecting a leak or the variable vane system is not working properly. In my case I can back off the throttle and still accelerate slower and there is no noise. If I power through the noise it clears out...and sometimes it does not happen at all...hence my suspicion that the variable vanes are sticking in position now and then. I need to pull the intake and clean it out...also need to go through the exhaust side and clean everything as well as check all the gaskets and head studs.

Do the old head studs loosen easily or are they prone to breakage? I am used to Saabs and Volvos which rarely break head studs even on ancient vehicles. I am fearing the task on the sprinter.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
No, it will still most likley be an exhaust leak like I said above. The way you describe it, occuring only at high load, is exactly how it manifests itself. And sounding exactly like a slipping fan belt, its a strange mechanical sound that you wouldn't expect a simple leak to cause. I explained why it does it in my earlier post.

At high load the exhaust pressure before the turbo is highest, and the escaping gasses through the leak are fast enough to cause the "music". At lower pressures it isnt enough to cause it. It only needs to be a very small leak to cause it.

So check for soot traces at all your pre-turbo exhaust joins, especially the manifold to head joins. Check for loose bolts there too. You can spray soapy water around when cold to help find it if it isn't obvious.

bstvanevr

I have spent weeks looking for the leak. No codes no exess oil no hose cracks. I think "Owner" nailed it. Thank u but I still can't find it. I know its exhaust leak. Tried soapy water and a doctor stethoscope to pin point it but no luck. Thanks to all that gave me things to look for. I will find it eventually.

...I will find it eventually.
Remove the turbo heat shield. (3 fasteners. 10 mm socket or wrench) Inspect for black soot marks at night using a flashlight. Check all the 12 mm exhaust stud nuts for tightness. A problem will be quickly evident. I didn't find my problem until I used that Doktor A recommended method. Some info is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161657#post161657

The good news is that the exhaust leak whistle is just a nuisance. In my experience it does not affect engine operation. My "temporary" repair stud is still holding strong and that included a dis-assembly for inspection of integrity. vic

Last edited:

BCSAM

Did you ever find the cause of the noise. I have the exact same noise. I poured soapy water around the turbo and there are bubbles coming from where the actuator lever goes into the turbo. Does anyone know if this is a seal that can be replaced or am I better off getting a rebuild? I looked at tristate turbo's site. They are only an hour from my location. -Mike

For me it was a couple of broken exhaust studs near the rear cylinder. The exhaust manifold pulled away from the head and the exhaust was blowing past the gasket and vibrating it like a reed valve.

CMA - I attempted to tighten my manifold nuts, but one kept turning and turning and turning....
The rearmost stud was broken and had to be replaced. I replaced all of other studs and, like yours, the whistle went away.

Top Bottom