Mini-Muffler Thing in Wheel Well

Greetings,

2005 has something that looks like a small muffler on the front driver's side wheel well. The hose to this has broken up and smoke comes out after a few minutes running.

What is that part called and is the smoke a sign of anything more than a need to replace the part and hose?

Thanks.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

autostaretx

Erratic Member
To expand on surlyoldbill... that's the exhaust from your Booster/Auxiliary heater (located beneath the battery).
Smoke from that muffler is mostly water vapor (unless it's black), and is fine.
Since the heater is normally used on cold mornings, the vapor (like your moist breath) can be very visible.
When i see the "smoke", i'm happily reassured that the heater is working as it should.
The muffler itself does not make the smoke, it's just the final delivery point.

Update: whoops... (before-coffee reading of post) .. i hadn't seen the "broken pipe" part.
(I'm looking up the part number)
My 2005 parts catalog lists the muffler and pipe as Dodge part number 5143178AA (17) or 5103848AA (32)
The diagram has two flavors (17 and 32 in this image):
AuxMuff.jpg

--dick
p.s. that short pipe (36) just to the left of item 17 is 5133318AA "Tube, Heater core" ... i have no idea if it's part of the muffler plumbing

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Smoke is not normal during normal or mid cycle operation.
Some smoke can be seen on startup or shutdown, as residual fuel is being burned off or lingering on.

If it is smoking during operation, it is a sign of 'incomplete burn' of the diesel fuel. Mostly, requiring some servicing.

talkinghorse43

If black smoke, then it means too much fuel or not enough air in the combustion chamber of your booster or booster/auxiliary heater. White smoke means your heater has flamed out and the heater flame tube is continuing to vaporize the fuel fed to the heater. White smoke will stop when the heater flame tube has cooled. Black smoke could mean your dosing pump is faulty, or your combustion air blower isn't running fast enough, or the air inlet/exhaust pipes are partially plugged. Or, the heater combustion area might be partially plugged with soot. Some have been able to cure the latter by running the heater on kerosene.

rlent

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the vehicle retains the On/Off state of the heater booster when the vehicle's engine is shutoff .... if the heater is on when the vehicle is shutoff, it will be in the "On" state the next time you start the vehicle.

IOW, if you want the heater booster to stop starting up and running (until you make repairs), you will actually have to turn it off.

Boater

Note that it is the exhaust, pumping CO into your cab at present by the sound of it.
These things are supposed to be serviced annually, few are due to the price dealers charge.
Search for DIY servicing

talkinghorse43

It's in the engine compartment, behind the left side headlamp and heats the coolant, so not much danger of much of the exhaust entering the cab.

Thanks guys. Is the frayed hose indicative of any other problem?

Should the muffler device be repaced as well or just the bad hose?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Boater

It's in the engine compartment, behind the left side headlamp and heats the coolant, so not much danger of much of the exhaust entering the cab.
Ah right, by drivers side wheel well he got me visualising it in the step area in the cab, so it's just in front of the wheel arch then, I have a bit of space there, but I don't think I'd describe it as a well. I have 2 earth bolts there.

Top Bottom