Starting problem

I'm new to this . Hopefully someone can help.
I have a 2004 Motorhome on a Sprinter 416 CDI base. Built in Austria but now in UK.
I started her about 3 weeks ago to take her to a petrol station to fill up the diesel tank.
I stalled the engine at a junction. Waited for glow plug light to go out on dashboard then tried restarting the engine. All the dashboard lights started flashing!! No click of the starter motor... nothing. It was getting late so i left it overnight. Next day we noticed the battery was reading 0v, and the leisure battery (in parallel ) was reading 3 volts. isolated the leisure side of things and found that the egine battery terminals had a short between +ve & -ve.
i traced the cable down to the glow plug relay unit. I bought a new unit (now a different model ), and a new Engine battery, checked the glow plugs then conected everything. Now the dashboard lights come on, but 'cycle' on and off every few seconds. I can hear the starter motor clicking now. i unplugged the small lead on the glow plug relay unit and the dashboard stayed lit up, but still the starter motor only clicked. I checked the voltages at the starter motor, and removed and overhauled the starter. I still have the same problem.
I have read somewhere that there is a starter relay somewhere but i don't have the manuals or diagrams to follow the circuits. Does anyone have an idea what has happened to my camper?
many thanks in anticipation
Simon

Top Bottom