Part number request.

T.J.T

Looking for the MB part number for the WIF line that has the plastic legs that can breaks when you replace your fuel filter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9926

Thats the thread about it.

Is that the Chrysler number and one of the pictures has a MB part number on it, but I must be reading it incorrectly as I took that number into the dealer and they didn't have a part for it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21770&d=1267624426

Thats the picture I am talking about.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I believe this is the part I broke the first time I tried to dislodge the Water In Filter (WIF) drain hose from the filter's WIF sensor: A6420700738 (MB)

Capture.JPG

Now, stop and read this posting:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82344&postcount=2

in this thread

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9926

Just want the replacement part? Me too.

A6420700738

Now, you the Dodge part number?

Use a PDF reader and search for the MB part number in

http://starparts.chrysler.com/home/MBChry.pdf

Chrysler hasn't updated that document since 2010, so you pay your money and take your chance.

www.sprinterparts.net will show you Dodge's list price and Berry Auto's (they're in Texas) discounted price, assuming you can find the part number on that trademotion site.

www.sprinterparts.com will show you MB's MSRP and that particular dealership's discounted price.

-Jon

PS: that's MB's part number in the picture.

Last edited:

T.J.T

Thanks Jon,

I found the part number and they want 80 bucks for it. Not life or death.

I did try to buy a OEM filter as I already had one in my glove box and I cant seem to find this "thumb screw"

Buy 1 fuel filter from the dealer, why? The filter comes with the old style thumb screw water drain. Keep the thumb screw (plastic), if you break the remote water drain line at the filter, unscrew the connector end out of the WIF sensor and instal the thumb screw snuggly, then re-instal the filter . No leaks will acure and you can order the line or not. Another hint the actual drain valve on the side of the engine contains the same thub screw
I also asked the dealer for a OEM filter and looked and all it has is a yellow cover over the center hole in the filter, then a rubber nipple over the file line leads. The same as the one I own already.

Am i doing something wrong?

I also see in that quote that the drain valve also has that thumb screw. Can this be ordered on its own? I assume I cant steal it from the drain, then Ill need one for the drain?

Thanks for your help.

*Side note 68021058AA is the Dodge number and its 49 from the site you referred to me.*

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanks Jon,

I found the part number and they want 80 bucks for it. Not life or death.

I did try to buy a OEM filter as I already had one in my glove box and I cant seem to find this "thumb screw"

I also asked the dealer for a OEM filter and looked and all it has is a yellow cover over the center hole in the filter, then a rubber nipple over the file line leads. The same as the one I own already.

Am i doing something wrong?

I don't know. It was Carl's advice. I haven't acted on it.

I also see in that quote that the drain valve also has that thumb screw. Can this be ordered on its own?

epc.startekinfo.com is down right now, so I can't check. An MB dealership should be able to look at part 144 and give you a price, if they can get it.

I assume I cant steal it from the drain, then Ill need one for the drain?

Honestly, how often have you had water in your fuel? I've had my Sprinter for 5 years and haven't seen the WIF indicator light up. If the valve you have on the van fits, plug the hole at the top of the fuel filter with it and work on a replacement part. Maybe you can get one from a wrecked Sprinter?

Thanks for your help.

*Side note 68021058AA is the Dodge number and its 49 from the site you referred to me.*
-Jon

Im useless, I just found that thumb screw in the bottom of my fuel filter box :lol:

Thanks for helping this clueless user again :bow:
Given your business I'd think we can excuse you for having a blind moment. At least you didn't toss the box with the part still in it. I've been known to do that. :bash:

80 bucks? Man, even though the Europarts price is much better that's still a heck of a lot of money for what appears to be a simple part. vic

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
80 bucks? Man, even though the Europarts price is much better that's still a heck of a lot of money for what appears to be a simple part. vic
It's not the cost of goods and manufacturing; that's like $10.00.

The cost reflects the lab fee, instructional materials + tuition levied by the University of Do It Yourself.

It probably has nothing to do with Germany losing a bunch of real estate in 1945.

-Jon

Top Bottom