PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control and trailer hitch 07

hp2owner
12-11-2007, 02:31 AM
Just hit 10,000 miles in 2007 144 passenger van. What a great vehicle!!! I'd like to schedule service and upgrade with a few options that weren't available when i purchased. I called the closest three dealers and none left a feeling of confidence. From the one dealer that did respond i got the following quote.

Hitch for non step bumber including harness. $1100 labor to install plus $350 parts. $800 to install cruise control but parts dept can't a part number or price. $550 for 10K service. The parts guy also mentioned the hitch and harness was 1.5 hours of assy which seems out of line with the labor quote that the service dept quoted.

another dealer quoted me $550 for the parts for the cruise control but wasn't able to quote installation.

Anybody know of a dealer here in Calif that has their act together and has performed these services? My preference is going with OEM parts here but prices seem way out of line from what others have paid.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/99/26799/1/78089099.ehmcYL4a.sprintersunset.jpg

kendall69
12-11-2007, 03:24 AM
I had them both done to mine.

I purchased the trailer hitch and controller on line, I think around $125 for the hitch and $150, for the best controller.

Install was $600

Cruise, parts on line $475
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=487876&siteid=213693&catalogid=4548

Install last week $400.00

They gave me huge flack for not wanting to do the install because of the software, but after I instructed them on how to do it ( via this site ) they performed the install and all worked fine.

My dealer was Moss Brothers Dodge Riverside Ca.

SprinterUSA1
12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Just hit 10,000 miles in 2007 144 passenger van. What a great vehicle!!! I'd like to schedule service and upgrade with a few options that weren't available when i purchased. I called the closest three dealers and none left a feeling of confidence. From the one dealer that did respond i got the following quote.

Hitch for non step bumber including harness. $1100 labor to install plus $350 parts. $800 to install cruise control but parts dept can't a part number or price. $550 for 10K service. The parts guy also mentioned the hitch and harness was 1.5 hours of assy which seems out of line with the labor quote that the service dept quoted.

another dealer quoted me $550 for the parts for the cruise control but wasn't able to quote installation.

Anybody know of a dealer here in Calif that has their act together and has performed these services? My preference is going with OEM parts here but prices seem way out of line from what others have paid.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/99/26799/1/78089099.ehmcYL4a.sprintersunset.jpg

Hello and Welcome,

BMW???????
Anyhow, if you want a hitch installed go aftermarket buy your own set and safe money. This way you can make sure that you have the right parts. Just have them install it for warranty reasons.

My dealership subbed out the hitch install to someone that does hitches only!!! BUT, they used a taillight converter that gets power from the tail light also. BIG NO NO. Get one that has its own power supply from the battery. Also my installer hooked the ground to the back up light on my van. This would cause it not to work when backing up with the trailer. I send it back to the shop and not even the Sprinter Mechanic saw what they had done wrong. I ended up redoing it myself and all works now:thumbup: Still arguing about reimbursement with them.

SprinterUSA1

SprinterUSA1
12-11-2007, 11:24 AM
hp2owner,

you will need this:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEBF~118151.htm and this http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEE~118189.htm to make the wiring work. You might also want a brake controller. The make a converter for a seven pin plug which a cannot find right now. Mine did not come with the four pin on it but it says it will work.

kendall69
12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
You can also find the direct connect OEM harness on the net.

DO NOT let anyone tap into existing wires. If they do not know exactly what is going on you will have problems.

Also I opted to have my dealer do the work even though they tried to pawn me off to the trailer guy they use to "save" me money ( 25% they said).
I told them it's worth the 25% to me to pay YOU the dealer because if I have problems guess who I am going to. I've been there done that with finger pointing and excuses when problems arise. Also heard horror stories of putting on the cruise and the wipers go on after a botched install.

Even though it costs you more NEVER EVER let anyone touch your vehicle but the dealer until the warranty is over, except for oil changes tires etc.

I went through two vehicle warranty buy backs and learn from my experience, if you can say during deposition that NO ONE but the dealer touched the vehicle, you have a much stronger case.

What are we talking here anyway a few more hundred dollars for the guarantee and warranty protection - worth it in my opinion.

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_sprinter/accessories/towing/trailer_wiring_harness.html

SprinterUSA1
12-11-2007, 11:17 PM
You can also find the direct connect OEM harness on the net.

DO NOT let anyone tap into existing wires. If they do not know exactly what is going on you will have problems.

Also I opted to have my dealer do the work even though they tried to pawn me off to the trailer guy they use to "save" me money ( 25% they said).
I told them it's worth the 25% to me to pay YOU the dealer because if I have problems guess who I am going to. I've been there done that with finger pointing and excuses when problems arise. Also heard horror stories of putting on the cruise and the wipers go on after a botched install.

Even though it costs you more NEVER EVER let anyone touch your vehicle but the dealer until the warranty is over, except for oil changes tires etc.

I went through two vehicle warranty buy backs and learn from my experience, if you can say during deposition that NO ONE but the dealer touched the vehicle, you have a much stronger case.

What are we talking here anyway a few more hundred dollars for the guarantee and warranty protection - worth it in my opinion.

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_sprinter/accessories/towing/trailer_wiring_harness.html

Did your dealership manage to install it properly?
Mine could not even figure out what was wrong after it had been installed ( by their sub). I new what was wrong with it without even opening anything up. It does not take or need a OEM harness to do it right. It might ease installation a bit because it is more plug and play instead of splice and play but other than that.
My problem with going back and forth to the dealership to have them fix.........nothing is that not only is it a 45min drive one way but I also have to wait quite some time before I get the vehicle back. So I loose at least half a day each time I run out there. I figured it be much more cost effective for me to have the vehicle during the week and correct a "professional" install myself. Only problem now is that they are saying they will not refund any amount for parts I had to purchase not to mention my "unprofessional" time for the install. But I will get them to even if I have to throw in a screaming fit right in the middle of the sales room at peak sales time with loooooooooots of potential customers.

SprinterUSA1

hp2owner
01-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Had my 10K service done, cost was $295 but all they did was change the motor oil ( 13 qts of 5-30 ESP ) and top off underhood fluids and reset service reminder. The break down was $225 for oil, $45.57 for the oil filter and $25 labor. My manual calls for fuel filter and tire rotation at 10K, but this was not done. Is this normal?

I got a written quote to install factory trailer hitch and harness of $765 and cruise control for $855. These quotes include parts and labor.

kendall69
01-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Did your dealership manage to install it properly?
Mine was spot on, everything the dealer has done for me has worked. Now I don't know if they farmed it out ( I suspect they did ) but still, I have documentation, only they have placed hands on my vehicle.

It does not take or need a OEM harness to do it right.
For me it does. There is only one way to make a "splice" better than new and that's to solder all the connections, and then use heat shrink tube - and in all the "splices" I have had done over the years no one has ever done it right, AND I might add I have always had problems at every splice even done by the Professionals.

So anytime I can spend $125, and make the install idiot proof I'm gonna do it.

I got a written quote to install factory trailer hitch and harness of $765 and cruise control for $855. These quotes include parts and labor.

These price seem in line to what I paid, parts on the cruise $475 labor $400.00, parts in the hitch and harness, around $275.00 - labor for me was $600.00.

SprinterUSA1
01-07-2008, 02:06 AM
............. and in all the "splices" I have had done over the years no one has ever done it right, AND I might add I have always had problems at every splice even done by the Professionals.

What sort of problems if I may ask?

SprinterUSA1