Updated springs and helper springs on a LWB 311 CDI.

wookie_73

Springs and helper springs on a LWB 311 CDI.

After driving around Europe with my converted T1N for six month, it seems that the rear springs have suffered somewhat from all the bikes I have crammed in the back. The right hand rear spring is defiantly slightly flatter that the left and I am sure that the whole rear of the van used to sit higher when we left the UK in May.
Before I went away I looked into helper springs / air bags. But the general view seemed to be to stay clear of these as there is a high chance of damaging the chassis rails.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4622&highlight=helper+springs

I did however read a post on this forum where someone suggested fitting an updated spring from a higher capacity van. Has anyone tried this and can they tell me if it will work, also if it does what stronger springs will fit the rear of my LWB 311 CDI (2005)?

I should be getting back to the UK in October and want to get straight on with upgrading / finishing my conversion. Top of the list is sorting out the saggy rear end.
With some luck I may even be able to finish my conversion write up https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15806&page=5
Also adding what we have learnt whilst we have been away and the changes that are needed.

Sorry if I don’t reply quickly but being on the move means it is sometimes difficult to get access to the internet.
Thanks for any advice and replies.
:cheers:

Last edited:

wookie_73

Nope.:frown:

No leaves it is a single parabolic spring.

I think it just wasn’t happy driving around the eastern European roads with two dirt bikes and 4 Mountain bikes plus a few other bits and bobs for 6 months.

I have unloaded the van recently just to see if it would settle back but the list seems permanent. Although given time it may settle back.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Wookie there are firms around the UK who can make you a replacement set of springs to fit yours. The trick will be ensuring you don't go too far the wrong way in terms of spring rate and ride height. You stand a good chance with your 3.5t I think, as you could aim to end up with the 3.8t springing. My 4.6t SuSi has three leaves on the back.

You've got to go carefully otherwise you risk totally ruining the dynamic balance of the vehicle.

I spoke with (Bill, I think) at Midland Road Springs in Minworth, Birmingham once, as I happened to be on the same industrial estate so I stuck my head around the door to see what they offer. Pretty sure they could take care of it for you.

wookie_73

Hi MIG.

Thanks for the reply.
I think something along the 3.8t would be ideal as I agree with you I don’t want the back of the van acting like a pogo stick when there is nothing in there. Also the 3.5t springs were fine for quite some time just the extra weight and the rough roads seem to have taken their toll.

I was hoping that there would be a stock MB heavy duty spring that I could pick up rather than having to get one made?
But a custom spring is definitely something I could look into..

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
There definitely is a stock 3.8t spring you could order from the dealer.

If you can satisfy yourself a third party can accurately reproduce it the price will be quite a bit cheaper than the dealer's.

si.

Hi. Had a very similar prob with my 2003 lwb. Stored 95% of my tools on one side of my van and built a bed above them whilst working away. After carrying 400kg + of tools on one side for 4-5 years and sleeping on one side for 6 months the van used to list quite bad and when I realised I needed to spread the load evenly it was to late, the van would always list, felt ok driving still, just looked a bit daft ?
A friend of mine had a 06 LT35 (same shape as my sprinter) and came with a double leaf spring as standard. After looking around on the web etc I found a commercial breakers where I bought a second hand set for £100. Fitted in a couple of hours. Fitted new bushes whilst I was at it. Van is now slightly higher and sits up straight now. The ride is slightly firmer but I guess the old springs were just spent completely.
Maybe it might be worth looking at them if mb don't do them ??

lindenengineering

Guys I will just chime in and say firstly "hello mate" to Wooky for a 'larf over thur wurzel bush " in Bristol as I comes "frum Glo'cester"--next west county up!
Anyway
For info I have a customer with a 2005 2500 who carries about 2000lbs of ice everyday to Denver's finest restaurants. And that doesn't include the cases of designer Chai made in Boulder.
At 220,000 miles his van started to get the rear end sags.

We simply installed a new set of single leaves but tossed the bump stops for those by Timbren.
The guys is delighted with the ride height and comfort, the Timbrems only coming into play as the sacks of ice get piled up in the back of the hi-roof body.

I would recommend this to anyone who has a rear end sag and doesn't want to sacrifice ride quality.
Dennis

Top Bottom