Change my own oil, oil & air filter 2012 ?

J

JonesOnHomes

Ok, I would like to change my own Oil and Filter if it is reasonably painless to do so. If it is easy enough, what specific tools/pump may be a good investment to do so? Are there any computer settings that need to be reset for an oil change that I may not be able to do?

I was told that after changing the air filter, there is something that needs to be reset in the computer to re-calibrate for the new filter? Is this something that can be performed using the cluster controls?:popcorn:

icarus

I would get a vacuum oil pump, and drain it from the dipstick

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...47330836&sr=1-4&keywords=vacuum+oil+extractor

I thought it was a joke to change oil this way until I stopped by my friend high end euro shop, and that is the only way they do oil changes now, and it is speced that way for most euro cars.

The first time i did mine, I pulled the plug to see how much oil was left,, and th answer was 4 drops! I haven't pulled a drain plug on anything in years. You can also use it to draw oil out of the filter housing that won't drain.

Other than that , the oil and liter is dead easy, and unless they changed the design dramatically since 08, the fuel filterpretty easy as well. Air filter is a snap, and I don't think there is any reclaibration required.

Icarus

J

JonesOnHomes

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...47330836&sr=1-4&keywords=vacuum+oil+extractor

I thought it was a joke to change oil this way until I stopped by my friend high end euro shop, and that is the only way they do oil changes now, and it is speced that way for most euro cars.

The first time i did mine, I pulled the plug to see how much oil was left,, and th answer was 4 drops! I haven't pulled a drain plug on anything in years. You can also use it to draw oil out of the filter housing that won't drain.

Other than that , the oil and liter is dead easy, and unless they changed the design dramatically since 08, the fuel filterpretty easy as well. Air filter is a snap, and I don't think there is any reclaibration required.

Icarus
Sounds positive so far, what about how far the pump tube needs to be pushed in? Does it stop when it is in as far as it needs to go? Do you know how long it should take to get the oil drained? Any additional tips or tricks that would be beneficial?

icarus

Push the tiptop the bottom, it will stop. You have to empty the pump once, since the fan holds 14 qts. The whole thing, including draining, changing the filter, and h fuel and air filter take less than an hour.

Icarus

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
For what it's worth, there is a routine to initalize a new air filter.

Dodge never did it.

A few tools out there know the secret, electrical incantation to send into the CDI controller to accomplish this, but no one's reported a dead van due to lack of air filter initialization.

Noticed here

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=161605&postcount=3

and

Carl (sprintguy) corrects me here

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=162108&postcount=12

Note: Dukepilot owns a 2008 Sprinter. Dodge scan tools don't work with 2010+ Sprinters and I don't think anyone's reported using the Diagun on a 2010+ Sprinter; so it may or may not work for your 2012 Sprinter.

-Jon

4wheels

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I did it in that way , but the idea of doing it with that Mighty vac sounds good!

Last edited:
J

JonesOnHomes

Icarus
IT is difficult to buy anything from the U.S when I live in Canada. By the time it arrives, there are often broker fees exceeding the price of the purchase. I will look for a pump at my Canadian Tire or Princess Auto stores.

Cvollmar

There is a procedure for resetting the computer after an air filter. I asked the Mercedes rep about it when he visited my shop and he said that the computer will figure it out in short order so there was really no need to do it. Also do not overchange the air filter, some of my 011 trucks have over 30k on them and still have the original filter in them.

icarus

IT is difficult to buy anything from the U.S when I live in Canada. By the time it arrives, there are often broker fees exceeding the price of the purchase. I will look for a pump at my Canadian Tire or Princess Auto stores.
Princess auto should have them,, if not, look at a marine store.

Icarus

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
ummm... how many clamps have you destroyed by using the pliers that way? :shifty:
OrioN, Chuck here!

Clip clamp pliers!

I don't know what you see, but the fore mentioned photo looks good to me. That is the release direction, as indicated by the arrow. With a little squeeze, the beveled ramp [right side of the pliers as seen in the photo] will lift and release / open the clip clamp, with a click.

As far as I can tell!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
OrioN, Chuck here!

Clip clamp pliers!

I don't know what you see, but the fore mentioned photo looks good to me. That is the release direction, as indicated by the arrow. With a little squeeze, the beveled ramp [right side of the pliers as seen in the photo] will lift and release / open the clip clamp, with a click.

As far as I can tell!
Yeps... but the pliers are reversed... little/left nose needs to slide under right side of clamp...

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Now that six months has has gone by, I will reinstate my belief.

Trust in: this photo is correct in showing the the correct orientation of the pliers for the opening of the click clamp. The left side of the plier is the pusher, the right side is the ramp! The arrow indicates the direction that the clamp will travel.

[/IMG]

: By turning the pliers around 180deg.002.JPG The arrow now indicates the closing direction of the clamp. Hope this helps.

PlantLady

Debbie with plants
Thanks for the air filter changing video. That looks totally doable. :clapping:

Is the procedure the same for a 2007?

Can you get the air filter from any parts store or does it need to be specially ordered from somewhere?

Vander

Sprinter Tech
Oil and air fliter changing is easy. Will ned the sprinter/dodge 3.0 deisel fuel filter cup wrench as it is not like a car spin on filter, just look on amazon or ebay for it, it's metal. The oil pan plug is very easy to reach and is just a 13mm socket. Air filter requires a T25 torx bit socket to rem;ove scres but is very simple to take that air box off. Fuel filter a little more time consuming. Also want to check your A/c/ cabin air filter too, it's on the passenger side and is white and gray. Actual oil amout is 12.5 quarts or 11.8 Liters. Putting the full 13qt has caused some vans that my shop has worked on to come back in the future with the high psi oil light to come on wile driving on the highway.

Top Bottom