PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know How To Remove the Shift Knob???

BigBlueBus
12-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the shift knob on a new Sprinter?

mean_in_green
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Really simple.

Obscured from view at the base of the knob is a threaded plastic collar. It's covered by the gaiter.

Grip the base of the knob through the gaiter as it were, and gently undo the collar.

The gaiter is trapped between the collar and the knob and will come away when the collar is undone.

Then, with the collar completely undone, the knob will lift off the shaft.

Simon

ewxlt
12-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the shift knob on a new Sprinter?

Does this mean you are installing an aftermarket knob?

BigBlueBus
12-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I am redoing the entire dashboard panels, door panels, etc, I've dipped them in burlwood.
I will post some pics next week when it's done.

John

SprinterUSA1
12-16-2007, 03:27 AM
.........., I've dipped them in burlwood.

John

John,

are you doing that yourself?? :drool:

SprinterUSA1

BigBlueBus
12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes, I have a side business with a friend of mine; we mainly do 4-wheelers, rifles, etc. Very little car interiors unless it's our own cars or friends and family.

This week, I'll destroy the steering wheel, peel off the outer layer, wrap it in leather and wood. I did one a few years back, hope I still remember how.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

John

jdcaples
12-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes, I have a side business with a friend of mine; we mainly do 4-wheelers, rifles, etc. Very little car interiors unless it's our own cars or friends and family.

This week, I'll destroy the steering wheel, peel off the outer layer, wrap it in leather and wood. I did one a few years back, hope I still remember how.

I'll post some pics when it's done.

John

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Wanna trace the steering wheel button wires through the pig-tail harness while you're at it? :)

-Jon

BigBlueBus
12-17-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Wanna trace the steering wheel button wires through the pig-tail harness while you're at it? :)

-Jon

I did...but I'm sad to report, there are only 3 wires that control the horn plus all the steering wheel button functions; so yes...it's multiplex or "CAN" as known in Europe. :cry:

Also, there's no specific wire in the back of the radio terminal for a speed sensor which means that the computer adjusts the volume according to the speed of the vehicle, unlike the usual way of sending a speed signal to the head unit and letting it adjust the volume by itself.:bash:

sikwan
12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
I did...but I'm sad to report, there are only 3 wires that control the horn plus all the steering wheel button functions; so yes...it's multiplex or "CAN" as known in Europe. :cry:

OTOH, hopefully it's multiplexed and does not use the CAN method.

On Jeep cruise controls, there are 5 pod switches on the steering wheel and only 1 line coming off of the switches. The 2nd line being GND as a reference. And it's not CAN.

It's still up in the air until someone can provide a schematic, pictures of innards, or measure the output off the switches.

BigBlueBus
12-17-2007, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=...It's still up in the air until someone can provide a schematic, pictures of innards, or measure the output off the switches.[/QUOTE]

Surely, there has to be someone out there that knows how the heck these things were designed, rather than us poor saps having to reverse engineer these monsters.:bash:

jdcaples
12-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Surely, there has to be someone out there that knows how the heck these things were designed, rather than us poor saps having to reverse engineer these monsters.:bash:

You're right. There is someone out there that knows.

Coaxing or convincing those individuals to participate in forums or otherwise publish details is no small barrier.

-Jon