LT265/75/R16 tires

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Just replaced the original Vansco LT245/75/R16 with Michelin LTX M/S2 LT265/75/R16 tires. Got 38,000 miles on Vansco's. Could have run them to about 40,000 but rain is coming and Michelin had a $70.00 discount if you buy 4. From what I have read, the speedometer will now read correctly and odometer will be wrong due to larger diameter. Since others have used this size and some measurements I was sure they would work without rubbing. What I had not thought about was the spare tire holder. Since I rotate all 5 tires, I need the spare to fit. It does fit in the holder. Michelin recommends 7" to 8" rim width for this tire. The Sprinter has 6 1/2" rim widths. I tried to find wider wheels without sucess so mounted the tires on stock wheels. Costco would not mount non stock tire size on the Sprinter. Bought tires fron another supplier. The next size larger tire now looks correct visually compared to the original size. The ride is better and the tire noise is higher.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I paid $222.99/tire plus fees and taxes. Total in CA. was $1188.57 after discount for 5 tires. Bought local for free lifetime rotation/balance/flat fix.

The tire clears the front strut by 5/8"

Attached is a PDF giving the wheel and tire specifications.

Attachments

Last edited:

10_piece_bucket

Dave, I recently made the same tire replacement. Costco did not want to install the larger tire but I insisted that it would work and they made the swap. However, their installer said he could not fit the larger tire as a spare b/c it would not fit underneath.

So I'm curious if you had the same problem. Did you have to modify anything to accept the larger tire? Or did it fit just fine?

Thank you -

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
It fit. I have an 08. The tire shop just put it in. I was watching and they did not have a problem. Just took a 500 mile trip on the new tires. They are definitely an improvement over the Continentals. Wonder how much Mercedes saves per vehicle to mount poor tires? The wheel/tire is outside down in the carrier if that makes a difference. A quick look shows tire is touching at the front and back of the carrier and has about 1/4" clearance on each side. The rear horizontal bar is slightly bowed. A straight edge on it shows a 1/8" gap at each end of the rod. Do not know if the bow was there before.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Hard to say. First fill up was about the same as before. Do not expect it to make any difference. Have not noticed any differences in handling. Michelins inprove the ride. Sprinter does look better without the "tiny" tire look. They will last longer tan the Continentals.

I will need to see if I can get the larger tire out of the spare tire rack. It is in there but may be difficult to get it out. I will see if the rear bar of the rack has a bend in it on a stock Sprinter. May have to modify the rack if it is difficult to remove.

wmlog

A spare LT265/75/R16 Michelin MS2 fits just fine in the carrier - a little snug, but fine. Use caution when tightening the rack with power tool as it is possible to overtighten and cut the sidewall of a spare. I had one damaged that way at rotation time, but it was nearly worn out at the time.

I have TPMS sensors in all 5 tires and rotate all five for even wear. The 265s are taller and wider than the 245s, and also have a higher weight rating.

It is my understanding that Sprinters can be ordered from the factory with Michelins . . .

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The tire just fits in the carrier. At the back the tire is actually against the Sprinter "frame". I checked out several new Sprinters at the dealer and the approx. 1/2" dia. rod that the hooks grab is straight across the back. On mine with the larger tire, the rod has a slight bow. One of these days I will see how hard it is to remove the wheel.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The tire just fits in the carrier. At the back the tire is actually against the Sprinter "frame". I checked out several new Sprinters at the dealer and the approx. 1/2" dia. rod that the hooks grab is straight across the back. On mine with the larger tire, the rod has a slight bow. One of these days I will see how hard it is to remove the wheel.
HEHE... I bet the tire installer inflated the tire AFTER he stomped on it to get in the rack!

That said... if it's too tight and difficult to get out... let the air out... assuming you have a compressor on-board for the road.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
No. I was 5' from the rear of the van watching them put it in. (Hoping it would fit.) The tire was fully inflated. Two guys were doing it but not because of the fit. They did not even comment on the fit. As I said I will see if I can get it in and out by myself some day before I need to do it on the road.

wmlog

Loosen up both bolts and then use your knees to brace the tire and rack, while you unclip the hooks. Don't get under the tire!

The heavier, larger 265 tire is more fun to put in the rack than the 245s.

A 265 tire will cause an approximate 3.9% change in the speedo and odometer readings versus the 245. Most vehicles, in particular those that may come with a range of tire sizes and final drive ratios from the factory can be reprogrammed to correct the speedo/odo. Anyone now if the Sprinter can be corrected?

By the way, the speedo and odo on my '12 with the stock 245 tires are dead nuts on as far as I and my GPS can tell.

tanks

tanks
"tanks" here -- I suggest that you wait till you get a flat.:laughing:

jzf0fk

I apologize for this seemingly stupid questions.

I believe theses are wider tires (265 vs 245) so there is more traction with the ground. But won't this require more energy for the van to move. Hence, wouldn't there be a decrease in MPG?

Also why would the speedometer be different than actual speed if only the tires are wider...

Thx for your input

wmlog

Wider and taller... there will be a loss of mpg of 5- 10%.
I disagree with this figure. I am on my 2nd 5-tire set of Michelin 265s, with 350,000 miles on my 2008 170 EXT. Yes, the tires are wider, and taller, and heavier with a higher weight rating.

Where did the 5 - 10% loss in mpg figure come from?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I have oversized tires. The van runs full gvwr as an rv. Mostly, stop & go driving.

I take the hit.
Figures are from my spreadsheet.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I will report any change in mileage. I have recorded all fuel used since the first few thousand miles. As far as speedometer reading, it appears now to be accurate according to the roadside radar speed signs. I will also have my cop son-in-law check it with a police radar gun. I will be very surprised if I see a 5-10% reduction in fuel usage. I will also see how easy it is to get out of the carrier before I have a flat. By rotating my own tires I had determined that the Mercedes supplied lug wrench would not remove the lug bolts without bending, I could not get the plastic hub caps off without breaking them (they are now in a box in the barn) and that the tires/wheels are heavy for an old man to handle. Bought a pin to thread into one bolt hole to make it easier to get wheel into position. Bought a cheap 2' breaker bar from HF which I carry in van to be able to remove the bolts. So do not worry, I will try to get the wheel out before I have a flat. If it is difficult, one 1/2" diameter bar will get bent to make it easier. Botton line is the van looks much better with larger tires. Much more of an improvement than changing from Dodge to Mercedes decorations.

Top Bottom