PDA

View Full Version : Heater Booster - What the heck is it???

BigBlueBus
12-06-2007, 03:22 AM
There's alot of talk about a heater booster, but only for the T1N. I checked my window sticker and my van has it. But when, how, where, and why/would/should/may I use it?:thinking:

sikwan
12-06-2007, 04:16 AM
But when, how, where, and why/would/should/may I use it?:thinking:

You can use it anytime, anyhow, and anywhere.

I use it for fast warm up time of the engine or a constant operating temperature while driving during winter.

BigBlueBus
12-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Ok thanks. what is it and how does it work? Does it use more fuel?

tymbo
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok thanks. what is it and how does it work? Does it use more fuel?

It is a diesel fired water heater that heats the engine coolant, thus warming the engine faster. On VERY cold days I use it to supplement the engine heat to warm the inside of the van.

BigBlueBus
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
The manual says to use it once a month, is this necessary even in not so cold climates?

sikwan
12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
The manual says to use it once a month, is this necessary even in not so cold climates?

Use it. It costs only pennies compared to things drying/caking up when not in use. Once it stops working, it'll cost more to get it going again.

I still use my A/C in the winter time. Not only to defog my windows when there's a high humidity, but to keep the seals from drying out and to keep the system circulating.

KenB
12-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Use of this (Aux. Heater) feature is recommended monthly to keep things primed/cleaned burned off, etc. An hour running is less than a pint, perhaps 1/4 pint when it goes to low burn.

Do NOT use all of the time... wastes a little fuel when you don't need it. Be careful that someone, Like my wife, doesn't turn it on a run with it in the Summer, it does NOT aid in such weather... But DO remember to exercise it in the Summer to keep it in running order.

Reported to improve Winter mileage below that temperature where your engine temp falls off due to ambient temp/wind cooling effect in excess of that which is needed for engine cooling at a normal level. This could be around 20F and/or idle, low engine demands, into a headwind, etc.

Recommended, also, for fast warm up below 41F, per my manual (2004 Wagon), but slows down, does not turn "off", when the temp hits about 185F at the engine water jacket.

KenB

BigBlueBus
12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
"Use of this (Aux. Heater) feature is recommended monthly to keep things primed/cleaned burned off, etc. An hour running is less than a pint, perhaps 1/4 pint when it goes to low burn."

But I don't have Aux. Heater, just heater booster. What is the difference? And should I still use the heater booster in summer as well?:idunno:

thanks.
John

AHAMAYfrank
12-18-2007, 12:35 AM
BBB (John)

My window sticker says standard equipment includes an Electric-Powered Auxiliary Heater. I believe before I ordered the van I read somewhere that the NCV3 had an electric heater booster. My guess is that these are one in the same but I have not checked the manual. :idunno:

In my ‘04 I had an auxiliary heater that was diesel fired that would run with or without the van running but I couldn’t order this option with a left sliding door on the ’07. Based on how quickly the heater works on the new unit the NCV3 "heater booster" is automatic and welcomed. :clapping:

Frank

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 05:37 AM
ARRRRGH! HOW DO I GET MY HEATER BOOST TO WORK?? I blew it. I have not run this thing at all.

How do I clean out the cobweb?

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm still waiting for a response from someone to my previous questions:

1)How does it work?

2)Is the heater booster a device that burns diesel to warm up the coolant or is it electric?

3)Should it be used in summer as well?

4) what is the difference between a heater booster and a aux. heater? are these terms interchangeable?

thanks,
Johm

sikwan
12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Replies in blue...

1)How does it work?

It burns diesel to heat the motor and the interior.

2)Is the heater booster a device that burns diesel to warm up the coolant or is it electric?

It burns diesel to warm up the coolant, but uses the battery for air flow, electronic controls, etc.

3)Should it be used in summer as well?

Sure, why not? It has built in thresholds of operation. If it's switched on and the engine temperature is above the top threshold, it will probably never turn on.

4) what is the difference between a heater booster and a aux. heater? are these terms interchangeable?

In the T1N, they are interchangeable. I'm sure it's the same for the NCV3.

Essentially, the Heater Booster only runs with the engine running. The Aux Heater can run without the engine running. In both instances, they are using the same Espar heater.

The Aux Heater is an option which includes extra parts to make the Espar heater run without the engine running. It comprises of extra relays and either a switch or a timer.

Confused? I was and probably will be again if I got any of the above wrong.

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Now it makes sense. Thank you so much.

ctmcdaniel
12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Big Blue

Please post a picture of your window sticker, I'm guessing you have the standard equipment electric cabin air heater, which is controlled by the automatic temp control. Basically it is there to provide cabin heat before the engine heats up.

If you have the optional diesel fired engine heater then Seeks comments apply.

Tom

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Grrrrr!

contractor
12-21-2007, 12:55 PM
If you never found a need to use it, then I wouldn't worry about fixing it (if it is broken). It just warms up the cab a little faster. I have a partition between the cargo area and the cab so the regular heat blows me out anyway.

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
arrgh, grrrr.

I'm going to Canada and i need this thing working. BULBASOR will be in very cold stuff so cold the engine is going to have trouble staying warm. Running your engine too cold is bad for it. It effects lubrication in the bowels of the engine where there is no heat and it also effects fuel burn and economy.

There is a reason for the heat boost and I'm going to need it. I think it's all my fault because I never used it so now it's clogged up or broken or somthing. grrr, argh.

I want to know how to fix it but it really could just be somthing simple like my brain:

Maybe the heater knob needs to be in a special position? Maybe I should run the REST button too to kick in the FOOL PUMP or maybe I need to prime the pump, (but I don't know how).

Maybe I'm crazy.:crazy:

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Big Blue

Please post a picture of your window sticker, I'm guessing you have the standard equipment electric cabin air heater, which is controlled by the automatic temp control. Basically it is there to provide cabin heat before the engine heats up.

If you have the optional diesel fired engine heater then Seeks comments apply.

Tom

My camera is on the fritz but there is an option which says heater booster, $440; Is that the diesel fired unit?
I thought it was rear heat, I was dissapointed to learn that the ceiling unit is only for A/C. My Chevy conversion van uses the same rear unit both for heat and A/C.

John

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
arrgh, grrrr.

I'm going to Canada and i need this thing working. BULBASOR will be in very cold stuff so cold the engine is going to have trouble staying warm. Running your engine too cold is bad for it. It effects lubrication in the bowels of the engine where there is no heat and it also effects fuel burn and economy.

There is a reason for the heat boost and I'm going to need it. I think it's all my fault because I never used it so now it's clogged up or broken or somthing. grrr, argh.

I want to know how to fix it but it really could just be somthing simple like my brain:

Maybe the heater knob needs to be in a special position? Maybe I should run the REST button too to kick in the FOOL PUMP or maybe I need to prime the pump, (but I don't know how).

Maybe I'm crazy.:crazy:

When I read my owners manual (yes I know, I actually read it), the button to turn it on is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

John

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 03:51 PM
argh

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 04:02 PM
argh

Argh what? Do you have this button or not?

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
BULBASOR does not have the button you have. BULBASOR is a T1N, so the boost buttom is on the dash in the AC/REST cluster. I'm pretty sure the button your looking at is an AUX HEATER.

I'm upset because my REST recirc pump is working just fine but my BOOST wont fire up

Grrrr, argh.

BigBlueBus
12-21-2007, 04:31 PM
BULBASOR does not have the button you have. BULBASOR is a T1N, so the boost buttom is on the dash in the AC/REST cluster. I'm pretty sure the button your looking at is an AUX HEATER.

I'm upset because my REST recirc pump is working just fine but my BOOST wont fire up

Grrrr, argh.

I'm sure I don't have the aux. heater, that was a $1800 option. I have the heater booster. Either way, I started this thread with questions about a NCV3 not the T1N.

BULBASOR
12-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, your right. That's my fault. I was serching all over the entire blog to find out any info that could help me get my HEATER BOOSTER working and I guess the search had taken me to many places I probably should not have been. I'm in the wrong section of the blog.

My Fault.

Argh, grrr, argh, teeth nashing and stuff like that.