How many miles on an oil change?

AGP

AGP
Quick question? I bought a 2010 ERA on a 2008 2500 long and tall used with 7k miles in early April. Coming home from Colorado to Michigan and had the oil changed at the Omaha MB dealer 4/5/2012. Used ESP 5w40. Since then constant all highway, east coast to west coast and now have 17k on the clock. I really want to get it home to my dealer in Michigan and in Colorado again. I pushed them m button a couple of times and the computer says 2100 more miles or September. That pushes the oil to over 12k miles. Is the computer giving me more miles due to all the highway driving? I have added 1 quart of ESP, she is running perfect and oil level is fine. Am I ok to run her home?

talkinghorse43

I always go with my ASSYST's recommendation and it usually calls for a change at 15k miles. Depends on whether you believe what your system recommends or not. I have read here that the NCV3 ASSYST always recommends a change at 10k miles, but I guess that's not totally correct - probably due to the type of driving you have done.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
I pushed them m button a couple of times and the computer says 2100 more miles or September. That pushes the oil to over 12k miles. Is the computer giving me more miles due to all the highway driving? I have added 1 quart of ESP, she is running perfect and oil level is fine. Am I ok to run her home?
You're the first person to report a Canadian/US NCV3 instrument cluster showing ASSYST warnings outside of the 10,000 mile cycle; the first person to report NCV3 ASSYST working as advertised. Congratulations.

Piper1 and ebsprintin also use(d) Sprinters as expediters (many highway miles) and I don't believe either of them have seen ASSYST break out of the 10,000 mile cycle.

I wonder if the MB dealership in Omaha updated your instrument cluster firmware.... MB Star Diagnosis System (SDS) is way smarter than the Chrysler scan tools. Even if SDS didn't update the firmware, the change in behavior may be still have been associated with your Sprinter having had an intimate encounter with SDS.

-Jon

PS: I agree with talkinghorse43. Drive it and enjoy the extra miles.

Last edited:

Perhaps this is a dumb comment.

I read somewhere that MB doesn't necessarily recognize the ASSYST interval. Should it come time for warranty claims they look for documented history of 10,000 mile (or alternately some specified max time period) oil changes. Unless the ASSYST interval is mentioned in the warranty papers I'd stay with the warranty verbage. I have no reason to research this personally as my 2004 is way past any warranty worries.

All that aside, I do believe in and basically follow the ASSYST information. FWIW. vic

Last edited:

kendall69

I averaging around 5000 - 7500 miles. I'm in temps over 120 several months a year and I drive pretty hard so changing often works for me.

Top Bottom