Best spot for Scangauge ( imho)

4wheels

I have that optional phone mount in my truck , which is useless unless you have the phone that will work with audio 20 , so I found a nice way of hiding that cord from Scangauge . That thing , also holds my GPS and IPHONE .
[/IMG]

12v outlet
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

hidden cord
[/IMG]

close view
[/IMG]

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
I just bought a 2012 and can't find the ODB connector for the scangauge. Would someone please tell me where it is?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I just bought a 2012 and can't find the ODB connector for the scangauge. Would someone please tell me where it is?
Driver side foot well, outboard from the brake pedal, over the floor, but under the dashboard.... nearly directly beneath the left-most HVAC vent.

It's behind the shoe-horn shaped fuse door.

Capture.JPG

Once the door is down, put your face under the dashboard and look up. You'll see a hinged, black, roughly OBD-shapped flap that protects the port itself. Pull the engine side inboard, brake-side of the flap down and the cabin-side hinge will keep it from falling into your mouth.

-Jon

Last edited:
Yup...top of the drivers side kick panel you'll see a little "lightning bolt" like icon and just under that a 1/4 turn knob that drops a door behind which is the OBD port (and a bunch of fuses).

You will not be able to close that cover with the Scangauge OBD connector in place. I raised the OBD connector so its face is at about the top of the molded plastic original mounting place with a couple screws, standoffs and nuts plus a little trimming of the plastic around the edges so the Scangauge connector would plug in and clear. You could just remove the OBD connector securing screws and slip it above the mounting hole loose but I chose to secure it. This allows a regular OBD plug from a scanner like at the dealer or inspection station to be plugged in without the tech having to chase a loose OBD connector around.

In the attached photo you will see I trimmed back the Scangauge OBD connector housing...That was an attempt to get it to fit before I moved the Sprinter OBD connector up.

Attachments

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
aljimenez,

I'm home. It's not raining. Do you need me to take a picture of my unmodified OBD connector, or did you find yours?

-Jon

PS: never mind: Here's a picture of the thing open. I was wrong about the direction of the flap... it opens inboard (brake pedal) to outboard (fender).

Up close

close-up.JPG

Huge perspective....

OBD-Port.JPG

Last edited:

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Those are great photos, thanks. I have not had a chance to install my scangauge yet, but I am confident I can find the ODB connector now... Al

WPJ

aljimenez,

I'm home. It's not raining. Do you need me to take a picture of my unmodified OBD connector, or did you find yours?

-Jon

PS: never mind: Here's a picture of the thing open. I was wrong about the direction of the flap... it opens inboard (brake pedal) to outboard (fender).

Up close

View attachment 47122

Huge perspective....

View attachment 47121
Jon

Do you think you could pop the door off the port, then a UltraGauge could maybe get in there with the main door closed.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Jon
Do you think you could pop the door off the port, then a UltraGauge could maybe get in there with the main door closed.
I've never thought about it.

After reviewing the close up and the pin-hinge design, I think a pry-tool could temporarily deform (or break!) the lid at the hole which the slips over the side-mounted hinge pins, and one could then slide off the cap. There's also a fair amount side to side play and a fair amount of frictional resistance when closed... you could probably cut or file down the side pins, shorten the side pins enough to wiggled the lid off the port housing.

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

NBB

blendmount.com. I mounted my V1 and my scangage to the mirror. Remove factory mirror and install the GM button w/ whatever cheap mirror has the correct barrel feature *next to* the factory button. Do not attempt to remove the factory button, you will destroy your windshield. The new mirror is off center by a couple inches, toward the driver - not noticable.

NBB

Sorry, no pix.

The other piece is I ran my wires behind the headliner and down the a-pillar.

I ohmed out the OBD connector and just spliced a generic RJ45 network cable into the wires above the factory OBD port connector, shown in many posts above. This leaves the connector open, the lids can close, etc - you just need to remember to disconnect the scan gage before service, or the diag tools won't connect.

WPJ

Could ya take one for me...please I have been thinking of a similar setup and visualizing yours would be awesome

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Could ya take one for me...please I have been thinking of a similar setup and visualizing yours would be awesome
I think you want the RJ45 wiring diagram more than you want a picture of the finished mounting, but then I think the Scanguage is best left to the likes of Roger (sailquik) than people like me :) and you might already have the wiring down pat, unlike - again - people like me.

-Jon

WPJ

I think you want the RJ45 wiring diagram more than you want a picture of the finished mounting, but then I think the Scanguage is best left to the likes of Roger (sailquik) than people like me :) and you might already have the wiring down pat, unlike - again - people like me.

-Jon
Jon yes that might be correct there, but I have the ultragauge so i am looking at fighting the closing box issue and mounting a small monitor and screen in the reaview mirror place.

for my ultraguage I plan on mounting it on the top left of the dash

http://www.proclipusa.com/image.aspx/media/images/products/dashmounts/803875-4.JPG-800x

but my big planning item right now is backup, front camera and how to display ie head unit, screen etc and if to get or not to get side cameras.

note

I have used proclip in a number of my vehicles no drilling no mess just snap on and go. best part is when you get a new phone you don't need a new mount just an adapter to hold the new device.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.a...ve_holder=true&p_pageid=1&dtype=&leftorright=

Last edited:

sailquik

WPJ,
The little flap/door on the OBD-II port on NCV3 Sprinters is very easy to take off so you can
semi permanently plug in your Ultragauge EM.
Take a small screwdriver and if you push the door all the way to the front (or the back) you can gently pry the loop that hinges over the plastic bar off the end of the bar.
Then stow the door/flap in your glove box.
The UltraGauge EM OBD-II connector is a little shorter than the one on the ScanGauge II, but
you still might need to take a hot knife tip on a soldering iron and cut out the cover to fit in it's normal closed postion with the OBD-II connector sticking out through the cutout.
That's how I did mine and it works very nicely.
I'll try to get some photos in the next few days and post them.
Be sure to carefully unplug your UltraGauge EM/ScanGauge II when your take your Sprinter in for service.
In order to hook it up to the MB SDS system, they need to access the OBD-II port, and if they screw up the port unplugging your aftermarket gauge, the cost to repair is not covered by the warranty.
Hope this helps,
Roger

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I've never thought about it.

After reviewing the close up and the pin-hinge design, I think a pry-tool could temporarily deform (or break!) the lid at the hole which the slips over the side-mounted hinge pins, and one could then slide off the cap. There's also a fair amount side to side play and a fair amount of frictional resistance when closed... you could probably cut or file down the side pins, shorten the side pins enough to wiggled the lid off the port housing.

-Jon
I popped the 'lid' off the connector in my van without any problems or alterations to the hinge pins when I installed my Ultragauge, but YMMV. See pic.

You may notice that I also removed the OBDII connector socket from the housing. I too wanted to have the fuse cover closed while the Ultragauge was connected. After performing some 'surgery' to move the OBDII connector to the other side of the mounting point, by accident I found that I didn't have to perform any 'surgery' or even remove the 'lid' to achieve the desired result. I guess that I should replace the lid. Now, where did I put it??? :thinking:

Continued.....

Attachments

bcislander

Removing the OBDII Connector Socket from its housing

Removing the OBDII Connector Socket from its housing is very easy to do &, more importantly, very easy to reverse.

First remove the dash panel just above the fuse/OBDII access panel by unscrewing the single T25 Torx screw that you can see at the bottom of the dash panel & pulling the panel out. (See first pic) There are some plastic 'guides' & friction fit fasteners at the top of the panel, but they release pretty easily (sorry I didn't take a pic of the removed panel).

You now have access to the back of the OBDII connector & its housing, which is under the 'foam' in the 2nd pic. Your van will not have the 'foam', which I used to hold the OBDII socket & Ultragauge plug in place.

A sliding plastic locking 'frame' on the back of the housing holds the OBDII socket in the housing. Sliding the frame towards the front of the van will release the OBDII socket, which can then be removed from the housing. The 3rd pic shows the frame slid in the 'open' position. The housing is empty because I already removed the OBDII connector. The 4th pic shows the locking 'frame' in the closed position. Apologies for the poor quality of the last 2 pics, but it was difficult getting the camera into the area & the lighting wasn't the greatest.

Continued....

Attachments

bcislander

Removing the OBDII Connector Socket from its housing

I removed the A-Pillar cover to feed the Ultragauge plug & wire through to the fuse block area behind the dash panel. Then I plugged the Ultragauge into the OBDII socket, wrapped it in 'foam' & friction fit it into a channel behind the dash, as shown in the 2nd pic of my previous post.

The first pic below shows the OBDII socket with the Ultragauge plugged in. This pic also shows a part of the OBDII Connector Housing in the 'notch' in the dash. This was hidden by the 'foam' in the 2nd pic in my previous post.

To replace the OBDII socket for servicing at a Dealer, just remove the dash panel, unplug the Ultra or Scan gauge, move the housing 'frame' to the open position, slide the OBDII connector into the housing, slide the housing 'frame' closed & replace the dash panel.

The 2nd pic shows how I mounted all my displays. The Ultragauge is the top display on the left, with the backup camera display below it. My Garmin GPSr is on the right. Everything easily seen at a glance, with no obstruction to forward visibility.

Attachments

Top Bottom