LHM 2nd gear, marooned in Yosemite

barkor

Transmission is perma-stuck in second gear. ATF leak at the round electrical connector on transmission. Nearest DRBIII equipped dealer may be 4 hours away (bay area). Assuming I can figure out what's wrong and fix, how can I clear those TCM codes? No CEL, no codes found via scangaugeII.

Any DAD users near Yosemite? Any advice?

Boater

Probably needs ATF topping up, but there is loads of stuff on the forum about leaking ATF filling a cable tunnel to the TCM on certain models and causing big problems - sorry I can't help more I am in the land of stick shift! A forum search may help.

Hope you found somewhere sensible to pull over - we had a Blazer run out fuel on memorial day weekend 2001 which the rangers weren't too happy about, towing was hopeless so in the end we sent the other car to buy a jerry can and some gas at Pine Flat whilst the rangers set flares and the bank holiday traffic increased around us! I guess you are heading out the same way to the bay area?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
LHM can be caused by many things. When my transmission connector sleeve was leaking, it did not cause LHM.

If you have a 2004-2006, you may have a problem with the turbo resonator (these fail frequently), or a rupture in any of of the rubber turbo hoses (also common cause). It could be a number of sensors associated with the turbo monitoring. The hoses are easy to check and you might be able to improvise a patch (others have documented many temp solutions, such as using aluminum drink cans and duct tape)

You need to add your normal location and type of Sprinter to your profile (User CP in the blue bar) - it really helps if we know what year you are driving, and your general home base.

While you can't drive fast with LHM, you can still drive.

Last edited:

barkor

It's an 03, 200k on it. I cycled the key for a couple days, now it's stuck in 2nd from the moment I start it. Not sure what to do.. Considering driving to Fresno in 2nd.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
What condition are your turbo hoses in? There are 4 of them. Have you ever replaced them (I did 2, 3 and 4 last year on my 2002 - see below to see what the #s mean)? If you have not checked them, please check them now (you may get greasy hands). Your local parts store won't have these hoses - Europarts SD and Dodge dealers can get them (not cheap).

You may not be throwing any errors that any ODBII reader will report if its an air leak in the Turbo hoses. Unfortunately, LHM can be caused by lots of things, not just what I am suggesting you look at (these are some of the more common causes).

From my response in: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22312

On the 2002 and 2003's there are 4 hoses to check:

1) MAF to Turbo Inlet (Passenger side on NAFTA)
2) Turbo Out to Intercooler In
3) Intercooler Out to Plastic Pipe midway up the radiator (Drivers side on NAFTA)
4) Plastic Pipe to Intake Manifold

Any one of these rupturing/leaking/blowing off will cause what you describe.

The Air Intake Temp (AIT) Sensor (In the Plastic Pipe mentioned in 3 & 4, above) Can also fail and cause the problem.

Last edited:

Boater

So does LHM force an automatic into 2nd gear?

Have I asked this recently and forgotten? No it was about park lock vs steering lock!
I was approaching from the angle of transmission locked, not used to auto boxes.
Mine wouldn't select any gear the other day, but that's because I forgot to bleed the manual clutch after having it apart during the engine rebuild - Doh!

barkor - Is Fresno nearer than Sacremento? I would have thought Sacremento would be big enough to have a MB or Dodge dealer? My memory of the towns in the Sierra is that they are relatively small and not likely to have anywhere, but you never know....

Jmoller99's suggestions are all well worth checking, so many threads about LHM end in a simple hose or similar leak, and as discussed in another thread today won't necessarily put the MIL/CEL on. I notice you talk about TCM codes, have you seen these or are you guessing (like I was) that being stuck in 2nd is a transmission related issue?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So does LHM force an automatic into 2nd gear?
If full Limp Home Mode, yes.
Or, to state it more precisely: when the fault happens, you lock into whatever gear you are in at that moment (so you don't suddenly decelerate).
When you shift out of that (be it Park, Neutral, Reverse), the next attempt to go into Drive will just give you 2nd.

Some LHM conditions also limit the engine speed to 2500 rpm (and possibly may not limit the shifting (i think... that'll take digging to cross-correlate)).

--dick

Last edited:

The transmission being limited to one forward gear (2nd gear) and reverse is the most severe form of LHM. I believe that LHM state is only set if the problems relate to transmission DTC's.

Unfortunately once that LHM is set I think that a proper Sprinter scan tool is needed to clear the codes and restore normal operation.

I would check the TCM connector for oil contamination. If the lower connector is dripping then the transmission fluid may have wicked up to the TCM also. The fluid can short out low level signals used for the CAN bus. Some people have had success cleaning the connector to restore operation, but as I mentioned above the DTC's will probably need to be properly reset to restore full operation. (Remove the negative battery terminal before removing the TCM connector.)

Has anyone suggested calling Doktor A?

A most important phone number to keep handy.
I have it saved to my cell phone and written in grease pencil under my hood.

"Call my Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A".
"have a pad of paper handy when you call him"
He lives in Pittsburgh PA area. That is the Eastern Time Zone.

vic

Last edited:

Boater

That all makes sense (Dick and Vic).
I think I was limited to about 2500 RPM when I thought I had LHM, it's pretty much all that can be limited on my engine since it is manual and the ECU has no control over the turbo!
2500 in second isn't very fast at all, at least I had all my gears so in time I could attain a safe speed to continue on the motorway.

Sounds like the OP might have a serious issue, fingers crossed draining the TCM connector (if it is full) will reset the codes and let him get on his way, sounds like a bear otherwise.....

Jim

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Fresno has a Dodge dealer that was a Sprinter dealer and should be closer. Sacramento has a Mercedes/Sprinter dealer in Rocklin. Roads to Fresno will be two lane roads until you get very close to Fresno. You can get to Sacramento on back roads but it would be a lot longer ride.

Last edited:

barkor

I unscrewed the TCM connector partway, and oil started to come out. Was worried it might all pour out if I continued, so I just tightened it back up. Is it safe to remove?

Fresno dodge works on sprinters, but cannot do warranty work, is what I'm told. May try to 2nd gear it down there on back roads. Would rather fix here, if possible. I have some spare ATF but no dipstick.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, unless there's something specific you're planning to do with the TCM connector removed, i sure wouldn't disturb it.
You can check the other end (TCM module under driver's seat) to see if oil has wicked up to it.
That's where the damage would be if this was an issue. No need to remove the transmission connector.

Fresno dodge works on sprinters, but cannot do warranty work
A 2003 with 200k and it's still under warranty?
If it's a Chrysler Extended Warranty, then Dodge is still part of Chrysler.
If you do have a warranty, does it cover towing?

2nd gear limits you to 35 mph, and if you're facing the 2500 rpm limitation, too, then you're held to 25 mph.
(speed will vary with rear end ratio and wheel size... you may go faster)

good luck
--dick

Last edited:

tr4dude

Same thing happened to my 2006, seal rings in the connector leaked out the tranny fluid and it went into permanent limp home mode in 2nd gear. It will go into this mode after the speed sensors determine that the transmission is slipping, there is no way to get it out of this mode without the proper scan tool.

you can ad fluid, if you have the time you could order it from europarts in San Diego and get a dipstick, and connector, call them and they can expedite it to get it to you asap. you would also need a 7mm socket, ratched and extention to change the connector. I would get atleast 6 liters to be on the safe side. there should be about a pint or so of fluid to come out of the connector when you remove it.

If you are lucky there might not be any damage to the transmission but I would be sure that you fill it up to the proper level before trecking to a dealer because without knowing how low or how high the level is it will increase the possibility for more damage.

you will want to have the transmission full to help avoid overheating it too. just my :2cents:

if not an option just found this for a dipstick and fill with some type of synthetic but that is at your own discretion, if it were me I would call europarts first thing in the morning.

To get you out of a bind for checking trans fluid, they make 48" zip ties. Very heavy duty, can find them in the HVAC dept for the flex duct lines wraped with insulation. The slide down good, you just need the measurement from top of fill tube. On the 07' its 42.5" + 80mm, and you have to find the link here that has the drawing specs for measurements. Only in an emergency of course.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
May try to 2nd gear it down there on back roads.
I know that route from Yosemite to Fresno well. Do it at least once every summer. There really are no back roads. All roads out of Yosemite are two lanes AND with heavy traffic. The good news is that many sections do require 2nd gear. The first 40 or so miles are 35mph speed limit, but after that you will be pulling off to let a train of cars behind you often. It will be a long drive to Fresno. If you have insurance, often they will pay for a tow which would be your best bet to get to Fresno.

surlyoldbill

Get AAA membership for $125, it covers 200 miles of towing. Sprinter counts as passenger vehicle, not RV (unless it's an RV model).

barkor

There was some oil in the TCM connector. It hadn't worked its way up the hose, but it was more than enough to mess with the signals.

What I need is a DAD.. without one all I can do is tow to the dealer and hope for the best. :(

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What I need is a DAD..
We just need to coordinate better... my DAD was in Yosemite for a couple of days before Mem Day weekend.
(it'll be in Glacier National Park in a week...)

The AutoEnginuity unit also sounds like it can perform DAD-like diagnostics. (i haven't tried one, but others seem to like it)

good luck
--dick

barkor

Will call around for the autoenginuity.. Maybe a shop in oakhurst has one. Not going to drive it 90mi to Fresno in second.. Seems like thAt could burn out an already possibly damaged tranny.

will keep you updated on progress if any

barkor

limped to fresno at 20mph, faster in neutral down hills.

dealer says (and i quote) 'its called the separator plate its in the valve body, its a circuit board, that's whats gone bad, parts and labor $1250'.. and they are saying possible TCM as well. i think they are referring to the electrohydraulic control unit.

make sense?

Top Bottom