Not the "normal" blower motor problem...

rob99rt

About a week ago my wife was driving the van and the blower stopped working. She said that when she pulled into the driveway and the van "bumped" up onto the concrete that it started working again. I checked the setting she had it on (3) and figured it was probably the resistor... sure enough, the resistor has some cracks in it, so I'm getting another one next week from the dealer.

Fast forward to today when she said the blower refused to come on even though it was on 4 when she started the van (I'd explained to her the resistor problem). This symptom seems to take the resistor out of the equation for this problem, according to my understanding of how it works... However, when one of the kids shut the side door and it rocked the van, it started working again... So, it seems to be somewhat loose-connection related... maybe

I've checked the connection for the resistor and it seems to be fine, and nothing *feels* loose around the blower motor connection, but I haven't pulled it apart yet. Where are the "normal" trouble spots for loose connections for the motor/connectors? FWIW, the van is a 2004, but it only has around 61K on it.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

- Rob

talkinghorse43

Or, it could need new brushes. Mine needed new brushes and would sometimes work, sometimes not. I simply bought another motor/fan (Europarts).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The thermal safety fuse on the resistor block affects all speeds, so it could still be the resistor block at fault.

(there's a thread somewhere, probably also linked/copied by Vic, about replacing just that fuse)

--dick

Crapu

Hello!
I saw many threads about blower motors working on 4 but not working on 1,2,3.
I decided to write here because I think it is an unusual problem with my fan.
It is working on 1 and 2 but not working on 3 and 4. It is a 211 CDI, 2002, Van.
Any idea or advice before me to start working on it dismantling everything?
Thanks in advance.

Boater

Yes, worn out out motor brushes.
The controls (through the resistor pack) apply different voltages, at higher voltages there is enough potential through the worn brushes to kick the motor into life.

I found replacement brushes for about £5 (UK) on ebay, here they are.

Are you familiar with DC motors or do you need a description of how to find and swap the brushes (need to solder the braided lead, after unsoldering the old one)?

Crapu

Thanks for prompt advice which noted.
I intend to investigate the matter tomorrow or early next week.
It is strange that it is working on 1 and 2 but not working on 3 and 4.
I know how to repair the brushes if needed but I'm still thinking not to be a matter of contact or maybe the switch.
I'll try to find a wire diagram for this blower motor, maybe it will help me. Does anybody have it pls?
Anyway, I'll revert with results as soon as I'll solve the problem.
Wish you all a nice weekend!

NetDoc

Follow the power. Here is a picture of the resistor pack for the Sprinter:

One of these lines goes to the blower motor. The others come from your switch. Use a probe to see if you are getting power to the resistor pack from each setting of your switch. Remember, there are really four contacts in that single switch, so some could be burned out while others are good. If you are getting power from each switch mode, then do a simple ohm test of your resistor pack to verify it's integrity. On most vehicles, high usually goes through a relay, but I don't think it does on the Sprinter. Here's a picture of a probe:

Crapu

Thanks for answer.
I prepared the ohmmeter and most probably tomorrow morning I'll do the measurements.
I'll keep you posted with results.

bc339

Another place to look is the connector on the back of the ATC (automatic temperature control). There are two connectors - the one with all the large gauge wires is the one to check. It has a lock tab in the connector, but if the connector loosens, the fan may malfunction as you have described.
Here's a wiring diagram of the climate system with a legend.

Bruce

Attachments

Crapu

Matter solved, it was the connector on the back of the ATC, as Bruce said. I pushed it firmly and blower working on all speeds.
I did some photos and I share them with you, in case anybody needs to open the cover and work on ATC.
Thanks for help and enjoy the weekend!

Attachments

Top Bottom