Dead Stop, Started, Stopped, Started. Help Please.

2dogsf'ng

06 T1N 92K. Just changed oil and filter like usual. Drove 25 miles. No issue Stopped for an hour. Was driving home at 60mph pulling a long hill and she instantly died. No spit, sputter, or warning. Pulled over, sat for a few minutes, started right back up no issue but engine light came on. Drove 10 minutes, same thing - suddenly died. Same wait, same start, drove 20 more minutes home without a problem. No limp mode, no more issues, engine light still on.

I hadn't yet change the fuel filter and don't want to now while I'm trying to sort this out. Old filter is at 20K - my normal change interval.

Pulled oil filter to make sure nothing wacky was going on. No issues, re-installed. Started it to take a test drive. No issue. Engine light still on. Stopped. Shut it off. Waited 10 minutes. Started again. Engine light now off. Running fine as usual.

I have an 800 mile trip tomorrow and am not confident my problems are over. Hate to take off and get stranded somewhere. Any ideas on what might have caused this? I'd like to go ahead and change the fuel filter and start my trip. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The fact the CEL went out after (was that three?) starts indicates that the original condition only happened once,
and was a condition that the ECU thought could be "temporary" and so it was willing to kill the light.
If you get your ECU scanned by a decent Sprinter-savvy scanner (DAD, DRB-III, etc) it can tell you (via the stored code) *what* it thought went wrong.
With that knowledge, you can better plan ahead.
(heck, even a ScanGauge (since you're a T1N) may give a fairly solid guess.)

So: without scanner data, anything we say would be a guess.
"Instantly died" could be as "simple" as a loose battery post connector or fuse block socket on some critical relay.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Where are you located? There may be a member-with-scanner within easy range (or you may be driving by them on your trip)

--dick
p.s. 2dogs, is your handle in any way related to One Man Bucket?

Last edited:

2dogsf'ng

Handle is just a reference to that age old joke from right here in the USA. Honestly I'm a little embarrassed by it now but am too lazy to start over.

I'm traveling from Bunea Vista, CO to Fayetteville, AR but I can not afford the hassle of a break down and 100+ temps for a good bit of that, might bring out the gremlins. And after reading the responses, the safe thing is to take the wife's rig. When I return I'll look around to see what my options are for a scan.

Thanks again for quick reply.

2dogsf'ng

Re-surfacing this one. Out of sight out of mind . . . but the problem has returned. Out of nowhere, dieing with greater frequency, will restart after ignition is turned off. Engine guages are all normal - temps, etc. Got a scan at O'Reilly. Any insight appreciated but it's looking like I might head to the dealer tomorrow. . .

p0201 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit Open, Shorted To Ground Or Shorted to Voltage
Possible Causes: ECM has failed, ECM power or ground circuits have high resistance, Injector circuit shorted to another injector circuit, injector is damaged, injector has failed or encountered moisture.

p0380 - Glow Plug Circuit Failure
Possible Causes: No Possible Causes
Fix: Replace glow plug(s), Replace glow plug module, or replace glow plug controller.

p0671 - Oreilly's machine did not identify this code.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom