PDA

View Full Version : BlueTec and The North American NCV3

jdcaples
11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Did the 81% buy-up of Chrysler by Cerberus Capital Management impact the delivery timeline for Sprinters sporting the NOx reducing technology "Bluetec?"

What Model Year will present Sprinter buyers with a mandatory tank for "Adblue?"

-Jon

SprntrStkd
11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I just read that only the E series for 2008 will sport the Bluetec and according to my research (here and in media) this is on time and not delayed. The M and G models will get them next...i would take and un-professional guess at sometime in 2009 (at the earliest) as far as availability in the US for a Sprinter with the Bluetec engine....

Also the initial quotes for the entry model Bluetec E series is 53 thousand clams!

I know Porsche is also coming out with a 10 cyl. turbo diesel Toureg for 2008 here in the US! But the estimated MPG is terrible! 15/20 or something like that....

And the cost of diesel....WOW! I think someone out there does not want Americans investing in diesel engines!

gerrym51
11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Did the 81% buy-up of Chrysler by Cerberus Capital Management impact the delivery timeline for Sprinters sporting the NOx reducing technology "Bluetec?"

What Model Year will present Sprinter buyers with a mandatory tank for "Adblue?"

-Jon

jon,

2010 model year for adblue. will have to be filled every
10,000 oil change. Another expense.

gerry:2cents:

lildevildee
11-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I know Porsche is also coming out with a 10 cyl. turbo diesel Toureg for 2008 here in the US! But the estimated MPG is terrible! 15/20 or something like that....

And the cost of diesel....WOW! I think someone out there does not want Americans investing in diesel engines!

Um, VW already has the diesel V10 Touareg in the states.

SprntrStkd
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM
So much for my research...ha ha...Porsche has the Cayenne or something like that...

Was not aware that VW had any turbo diesel's for sale here in the US....

lildevildee
11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
So much for my research...ha ha...Porsche has the Cayenne or something like that...

Was not aware that VW had any turbo diesel's for sale here in the US....

You're kidding me?!?!?!

VW had, until 2006, the Jetta, Golf, and Beetle PD 1.9L TDI. They've had the Passats as well in the TDI format, just not as recent. They are supposed to be bringing us a CR 2.0L diesel in the Jetta for 2008. Not sure if they will release it in the other models for 2008. I know at some point in time, we're supposed to be getting the Tiguan as well. The Touareg - I'm not sure what they're going to do with it; there are rumors we might see a V6 TDI in it down the road. Probably not; we don't get any of the goodies over here.

I've had 3 Jetta TDIs now; I really miss my last one (well, all three!) If I could have fit the 3 carseats in the back of my 2005.5 Jetta, I'd still have it and probably wouldn't be here. I miss my 45mpg ;)

LOL, guess you can tell which vehicle brand I usually buy... :)

BigBlueBus
12-06-2007, 02:50 AM
What is bluetec or adblue?:idunno:

sikwan
12-06-2007, 03:09 AM
What is bluetec or adblue?:idunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec

Another thing (urea) to add to the vehicle to make it emissions compliant. Honda has something interesting where the vehicle system generates its own urea.

BigBlueBus
12-06-2007, 03:44 AM
So instead of an adblue canister, how about connecting the porta potti to the fuel tank? Same principle?

Altered Sprinter
12-06-2007, 07:23 AM
So instead of an adblue canister, how about connecting the porta potti to the fuel tank? Same principle?
:lol:Thats' called VW Blue moon concept
5070 Seriously You may end up with the Chrysler sun diesel concept, If GW has his way. I'm not joking, Both Mercedes and Chrysler were working on the concept of both engines the Sun diesel concept was dumped as to a set ECU formula that can not be adjusted via it's electronic engine management systems as to different types of fuels Corn Rye rapeseed and the favored switch grass as to this final analysis it uses less water and is drought resistant. Altough it can burn all fuels the power drops on HP and the Fuel MPG drops a wopping 20%
How much is corn on the cob today?
Richard PS this is from Shell 2005 worth reading.

mattl
12-13-2007, 04:10 AM
You're kidding me?!?!?!

VW had, until 2006, the Jetta, Golf, and Beetle PD 1.9L TDI. They've had the Passats as well in the TDI format, just not as recent. They are supposed to be bringing us a CR 2.0L diesel in the Jetta for 2008. Not sure if they will release it in the other models for 2008. I know at some point in time, we're supposed to be getting the Tiguan as well. The Touareg - I'm not sure what they're going to do with it; there are rumors we might see a V6 TDI in it down the road. Probably not; we don't get any of the goodies over here.

I've had 3 Jetta TDIs now; I really miss my last one (well, all three!) If I could have fit the 3 carseats in the back of my 2005.5 Jetta, I'd still have it and probably wouldn't be here. I miss my 45mpg ;)

LOL, guess you can tell which vehicle brand I usually buy... :)

This is because VW TDI engine makes too much NOx and could not meet USA spec ;)

Bluetec uses urea injection to reduce NOx. Consumption in most Mercedes car is approx 1 L of concentrate per 1 000 km. They put a 15 or 30 L tank (can't remember) so you are set for a long time. The car will start once with the tank empty, and it will be beeping at you to fill, but it cannot be started a second time (or is it third?).

You could pee in the urea tank every 1 000 km or so, this should keep the system filled enough and the concentration of urea high enough to keep the computer from complaining ;)

Mercedes is number one! :D

2008 VW Jetta TDI is coming back, new engine. This uses a lean-NOx trap converter, which does not require urea injection - the conversion efficiency of the NOx is not at all as good, but since the Jetta engine is small it doesn't make much NOx to start with so they can meet current US standard with this setup.