What is this hose? (inlcude image file)

I found the hose(silver color) is taped. It means that the hose had a hole, and the previous owner patch the hole.

I think that is the possible reason of lack of power.
What is the hose?

By the way, Is there a specific method that can recognsize holes on hoses.
Because there are many hoses,if the holes are very small, It is impossible to know if there's hole or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

sailquik

Hi sprinter8888,
If you are referring to the hose with the corrugated silver cover, that is not
duct tape.
That is the original factory heat shield and it is supposed to be there.
Do not disturb it.
Not sure what exactly the hose inside does.
I'm pretty sure this hose has nothing to do with your "loss of power"!

I'm 99% sure your "loss of power" has been caused by the oversize
larger diameter tires that have changed your gear ratio.... and not
in a good way.
Your cab/chassis is all set up to have a 4.18:1 rear end ratio.
The tires have changed this to a 3.83:1 ratio.
That is even lower than the low top cargo and passenger vans which
have the 3.92:1 ratio.
Roger

Thank you very much. I'll go to used truck dealer tomorrow to change tires, and inspect things that may cause lack of power.
I also think the bigger size tire is the main problem.
However I suspect there may be holes on hoses.

Before I decided to buy the truck, I brought the truck to the dodge dealer to inspect.
The mechanic said that I had to change 2 grow plug(there was a CEL), and there is a hole on a hose.
He changed the grow plug, and hose.
And that was covered by warrany.

I remember there were many stored codes, and he deleted the stored code.
He said that the many of codes were related with temperature. My sprinter came from hot area(Arizona)

I'm worry about that he delted stored cdoe, but the problem may remains.

If MAP is OK(easily go up to 35), Is there no holes on hoses or no EGR related problems?

Last edited:

Boater

Way down there and with corrugated heat shield I'd hazard power steering or air con. Best plan is to follow it to a component you recognise. Is it heading under the ABS pump towards the steering gear?
(My sprinter is a very different beast, I'm guessing from what I think I can see in the photos).

If it is power steering and leaking the hose will be oily and anything below the low point will be oily.
If it is air con, you won't be getting cold air with it switched on. I think the Air con hoses would run front to back not side to side.

If you have lots of old codes stored it can mask the real problem. By deleting codes he gave you the best chance to solve the problem, because any current problems will write the code again so when you take it back the next day the codes should be relevant to the problem (usual caveat about codes applies). For Vauxhall cars where anyone with a laptop can afford a diagnostic interface from ebay, the forum advice is always to clear the codes first, then reproduce the problem and see what codes you get, obviously the more it costs to have the codes read, the less feasible this becomes....

sailquik

sprinter8888
If the MAP is going up to 35+ PSIA on your ScanGauge II, then the turbocharger,
all the plumbing, the charge air cooler, and MAF sensor box are tight and doing
the things they need to do to contain the boost from the turbo and get it into
the intake manifold.
Not sure about the EGR, there could be a problem, but EGR issues ususally put
the Sprinter in LHM and then you wouldn't be getting full boost pressure and
RPMs so you would definitely KNOW you had lost the normal power.
Look over all the other hoses and see if you see any major oil or fluid
leaks.
If the tech replaced a turbo hose with a hole or slice in it, that would
completely repair the turbo issues.
Most Sprinters have quite a few "stored codes" in the ECU.
Any event that is slightly out of the normal limits gets stored in the
ECU with the mileage that it happened.
It would have been good to know what all the deleted codes were, but
once deleted, if no codes are being stored now, all your systems are
working within the normal limits.
Might be good to take it back to the Dadge tech and ask him to run the
diagnostics again.
Might cost a $100 or so, but then you will know if the ECU memory is
clear.
If the ECU memory has no currect codes stored, everything is working
within the normal limits.
Since the glow plugs and hose were covered under the used truck warranty,
normally the shop has to do a work order that says what your complaints were
and what the codes they found were and what they did to correct the stored
codes. Maybe the shop still has a copy of that work order with the stored codes
attached.
Roger

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The aluminum hose is the exhaust pipe for your aux heater - you have a small diesel furnace to warm up your engine (it heats the coolant - there is also an electric water pump plumbed in for it) in cold weather - that's the pipe for it (it should go to an area under the drivers side front wheel - and exhaust there). All NAFTA T1N Sprinters come with one of these setup.

The control to run the aux heater is the button right under the one you use to turn on the AC.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I thought it was an "option" ....
99% of NAFTA T1N do have the fuel-fired heater... but its name changes depending upon the "option"
The "standard" package had it as the "Booster" heater (aimed at warming the engine up on cold mornings) option HZ9.
The "aux" packages were two flavors: with 7-day timer (option HZ9,H12 and H86) and without (simple switch on dash: HZ9,H12).

But all three had the furnace located under the starting battery, and the wallet-sized muffler in the driver's front wheelwell.
HZ9 was the Booster code, having AuxHeat also got you H12 ("Hot water additional heater") and maybe H86 ("Timer for heater booster")
The 7-day timer version showed up on the Dealer's Invoice as "AMJ Auxiliary Front Heating Group" ($706 in 2005)

--dick (this note may be was edited later if/ when i find the option codes)

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

That hose looks more like the booster/aux heater combustion air intake, but it seems to be dislocated from mine. Mine loops up onto the structure supporting the battery and then down again looking like an upside down gooseneck trap.

Top Bottom