NCV3 turbo hose adapter or new hose

FalconerTom

I have a 2008 Dodge NCV3 with a cracked driver's side turbo hose. The rubber is cracked at the metal end of the hose. It gave me the occasional limp home home performance until I spotted a small amount of oil on the outside of the hose.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the closed threads on how to spot this problem.

My question is should I replace with a new hose ( even thought it was produced on 1/16/08, it appears to have the new "?" shaped hose) or do I try the Riordanco ADAP09 Turbo Hose Adapter?

It looks like the trade off might be tearing the stock hose again (the van is an RV with only 13000 miles on it) or blowing the hose clamp off the Riordanco fitting. Thoughts?

It looks like the trade off might be tearing the stock hose again (the van is an RV with only 13000 miles on it) or blowing the hose clamp off the Riordanco fitting. Thoughts?
I agree with your trade off comment. I'm not going to do the research to verify, but my memory suggests that MB did some hose re-design because there were some problems with the length of the hose? Hoses splitting are going to happen as the NCV3's (and T1N's for that matter) age. Hose end failures don't seem to be as common as NAFTA turbo resonator failures, but that's based only upon my impression. I also recall that the professionals chiming in here have not felt there is a continuing problem.

Recalling some of the clamping problems encountered with the adaptors, were I needing to make a choice (I'm not) I would probably just buy an OEM part. :idunno: Good luck. vic

4wheels

My vote is for OEM hose .
also if you can post a picture , cuz i read somewhere that the new shape hoses were like after may ,2008 trucks , correct me someone if I am wrong

4wheels

Yes , FalconerTom , please confirm the shape of that hose , we all want to know.

I am still thinking what to carry with me in my van as an extra part - OEM hose , or Riordanco.

scubanw3

The up-dated hose continues to fail just like the “up-dated Q5 resonator" continues to fail on the T1N. I would suggest carrying the Riordan adapter in the event of an emergency (this is what I do). We do sell these along with Riordan’s other products. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Neither of my hoses have failed.

The only person I talked to at SprinterFest with a failed hose was driving a motorhome close to maximum gross vehicle rated weight. He inspired me to get the new, updated part.

I know that John Bendit (scubanw3) works on a lot of Sprinter RVs. In fact, most of the NW SprinterFest attendees come in motor homes.

I'm curious if any 2500 US/Canadian Sprinters, carrying a nominal load of 500 - 1500 lbs have had failures. I travel over the Cascade Mountains regularly during non-snow weather. I don't think I put the same stresses on the intercooler hoses that "condos on wheels" put on the components.

-Jon

showkey

Neither of my hoses have failed.

I travel over the Cascade Mountains regularly during non-snow weather. I don't think I put the same stresses on the intercooler hoses that "condos on wheels" put on the components.

-Jon
Max intake pressure (boost) would be the same for all vehicles (Sprinter)........ duration of boost would vary with load, speed and elevation change with elevation change a major factor................climbing is a bitch, flat land in Kansas not so bad if the wind is blowing in the right direction:smilewink:

:thinking::thinking:So.........is this max pressure failure or a time under some level boost failure or combination???? or just crappy German rubber or less than perfect inconsistent quality of the finished edge of the fittings or again some combination:thinking::thinking:

:popcorn:

scubanw3

The failure is a combination of everything mentioned. The majority of failures are on overweighed Sprinters especially the Class C’s or cab chassis with cubes on the back. At 11,000+ pounds, these rigs are almost always under 90-95+ % engine load which plays havoc on an oily turbo hose. The turbo hose at the bottom of the resonator pipe gets oil soaked and deteriorates resulting in the tear failure at the connecting flange. Since the flange crimp to the hose has a sharp edge, the oil soaked rubber tears from the constant bloating caused by the extremely high engine load and turbo pressures. The redesigned hose has a slightly different shape but the flange to hose crimp and the oil soaking issue remain the same. So, if you’re a lard ass, carry a Riordan adapter as a backup. Hope this makes sense.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

FalconerTom

Yes , FalconerTom , please confirm the shape of that hose , we all want to know.

I am still thinking what to carry with me in my van as an extra part - OEM hose , or Riordanco.
Sorry for the slow reply, I have been away. The hose that cracked was the longer hose as Jon mentioned above, and the one that the dealer replaced it with is the same. Reading this forum told me this is a "common" failure, which is why I was able to spot the problem. It cracked right at the edge of the metal clamp and I was able to spot it because a small amount of oil was on the outside of the hose. This hose runs hot as it is connected to the turbo outlet tube on the way to the inter cooler. I bought a Roirdanco fitting, so if it happens again ( I was in the middle of nowhere in southeast Montana), I can attempt a roadside fix.

Again, thank you to everyone who documented this problem in the past. It helped me pinpoint the problem quickly.

FalconerTom

I should also mention that I choose the OEM hose solution because of recommendations here and the Roirdanco fitting requires a lot of torque on a small hose clamp to hold it in place (and others here have reported blowing the hose off the fitting). The instructions require at least 60 in lbs of torque on a 7/16" hose clamp screw, which seems like it would strain the clamp. But as I said above, if I crack this hose again, I am going to put the riordanco fitting on.

4wheels

I was hoping that it would be an old hose ... Now , I think , I will just buy what is cheaper .
Oem hose cracks and Riordan clamps blow off , so the answer is clear - any of those two will help you in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks to everyone, again

Top Bottom