No starter

Nhuskys

Long story.... 2008 3500 144 with 146,000 miles. A month ago I rear ended a SUV and had body work damage and a lot of mechanical damage... Radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, AC condenser, AC compressor, oil filter mount and more. Body shop worked hard to get it back together as parts trickled in and had to order more, as adjuster missed a few things they found when they disassembled the van.

It all went together well, but when they started it up the AC and aux fans didn't work. They suspected Maxi fuse, but could't find the fuse block. Three dealers couldn't tell them correctly where it was! Friend with 2500 told me and they checked that, but no go. Turned out to be pressure switch on new AC condeser was bad.

Next problem... I get ready to drive it home and it throws a check engine light and when I drive it... power flattens right off! I had this happen before when fuel filter was clogged. Shop owner had test drove it and said power was good. He drives it again and says somethings wrong. Hooks up his scan tool, but no matter which card, adapter or directions he follows.... no communication. Need the "M-B Death Star"! He says he'll talk to adjuster and I take it home, but don't sign off on the repair yet.

Next problem... Since it's acting like a fuel restriction, I put a new fuel filter in. I've done them before, but I find that the last "Dealer" installed filter, has the water sensor hose zip tied on as the clips that hold it are broken off! So much for Daimler-Chrysler technicians! I get it in and all looks good. I go to start it to check for leaks, before I button up the cover and air box ( I haven't unplugged any wires) and.... lights come on, glow plugs go out and starter doesn't work, nothing, nada! I checked starter motor fuse and it looks good. Any thoughts?:thinking::thinking:

icarus

Sorry for your troubles. That is why when I hit the deer last year, and did 10k worth of body damage, I insisted it go to the Freightliner dealer body shop 400 miles away, instead of the local body shop. They did great work, and after firing it up (same broken oil filter housing) the engine blew! They then did a factory fresh engine. 50k miles later, no issues, never have been. I would find a good shop and insist that tthe insurance company foot the bill until it is right.

Icarus

Nhuskys

Sorry for your troubles. That is why when I hit the deer last year, and did 10k worth of body damage, I insisted it go to the Freightliner dealer body shop 400 miles away, instead of the local body shop. They did great work, and after firing it up (same broken oil filter housing) the engine blew! They then did a factory fresh engine. 50k miles later, no issues, never have been. I would find a good shop and insist that tthe insurance company foot the bill until it is right.

Icarus
Thanks for the reply. Local shop is very good, I've done business there for years. They spotted the oil filter housing break and saved big problem. Any thoughts on whether it should go to a Dodge or M-B dealer. I have 2 M-B Sprinter dealers, 1.5 hours away.

icarus

I would not use a Dodge service, UNLESS you have had good experince with them,, which it sounds like you haven't. Do a search here for good service, and tow it if needed. A word of not about the oil filter housing. My body shop knew right away the filter housing had Ben broken. It ws after installing the new one, changing the oil, and firing up the engine, it ran for two block before seizing! I had run the engine for perhaps 1 minute before pulling over and shutting down after hitting the deer. In that minute the lack of oil pressure completly fried the engine,, beware!

Icarus

Nhuskys

I read the other no starter thread backwards and forwards. Insurance adjuster sent it to nearest Dodge Sprinter shop. They were the best shop I dealt with.

Nhuskys

I got the van back from the Dodge dealer and all is well.....

No starter: Motor mount bolt that starter is grounded to, was slightly bent in the collision and lost ground. New bolt installed. Two hours labor diagnosing the problem though.

Check engine light/low power: Exhaust pressure sensor switch was damaged. New switch installed.

It will all be covered under the collision claim.

Top Bottom