Lubricating Door Hinges

jjrubino

I have a 2005 T1N. My door hinges are dry. After searching this forum, I have seen recommendations about putting grease on the hinges. However, no post that I can find tells you how to do it.

My old MB 240D had grease fittings for the door hinges. I can see no grease fittings, but there do appear to be screws where a grease fitting might go. The manual is useless.

Dripping oil on the hinge does not seem to be the way MB tends to do things, and it makes a mess.

Can anyone tell me an effective lubrication method - preferably with grease? Thanks.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I just smear lithium grease onto the hinges and related hardware, then wiped it down with paper towels in areas where the hinge was exposed to traffic (the rear door hinges). After moving the doors back and forth, and making sure all areas were covered, the doors get 'lubed' up. I have had to do the same on my other vehicles over the years. Regular automotive oil (you have a lot to spare if you used 'used' engine oil after an oil change) also works well in areas you can't get the grease into.

I have never seen a grease fitting on any of my vehicles door hinges.

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

I have used a teflon spray lubricant on my rear door hinges. Works well for a while, but needs to be reapplied every 6 months or so. Doesn't make a mess and attract dirt.

Top Bottom