AC Q

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
Summer time again, and using AC.
I have noticed that my AC does fine while driving, but when at long stop lights or heavy stop and go traffic the cooling seems to decease noticeably. But drive on a highway and you have an ice box. Any guesses as to why the performance decrease when stopped or driving slow?

Thanks,
Happy

72chevy4x4

it is normal to a degree (ha-ha). The condenser needs airflow to dissipate the heat that is removed from the cabin. Your van may have one or two condenser fans-don't think anyone has determine what determines 1 vs 2 fans, but having two would increase cooling performance in hot weather. Another thing you might do is place the transmission in neutral if stopped for a longer period of time and increase the rpm slightly-in hopes the engine fan will draw more air across the condenser/radiator assembly.

If you want to get fancy, install a mister to spray water on the condenser. That's a trick used in the turbo/intercooler realm where one wants to cool the charge air more quickly.

BigBlueBus

I put mine in neutral every chance I get, while slowing down, at a stop light, downhill grade, etc. It's not only easier on the engine, it also keeps the temps down in the trans and cabin. I really would have preferred a manual transmission, but it's just not available stateside. I just can't stand the Sprinter automatic transmission (Ummm...next mod?)

Last edited:

1- check your electric fans to see if they work
2- check your condenser/radiator for bug blockage
Very good advice. That said, my T1N A/C efficiency/output definitely drops down at idle. The reduced output at idle as compared to say, 1500 rpm is noticeable in A/C system gauge pressure when I checked it, so I have come to accept it as a normal operating condition. Typically a vehicle A/C compressor will put out more pressure at higher RPM than it does at idle.

Whether that translates over to the NCV3 Sprinters is something I can't answer. :idunno: FWIW. vic

lindenengineering

Before doing anything see if the condener is clean.

The condenser dumps the heat so dust, dirt, grasshopper guts et al plugs it up.
Don't use high pressure hose pipes, it bends the fins.
Better to buy some Zep foaming coil cleaner from a commercial HVAC supplier. Spray it on cold .
It will foam up , then start to liquify pulling the dirt out of the matrix.
Then finalize with a none pressured jet hose water wash.

Then go try, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers Dennis

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Before doing anything see if the condener is clean.

The condenser dumps the heat so dust, dirt, grasshopper guts et al plugs it up.
Don't use high pressure hose pipes, it bends the fins.
Better to buy some Zep foaming coil cleaner from a commercial HVAC supplier. Spray it on cold .
It will foam up , then start to liquify pulling the dirt out of the matrix.
Then finalize with a none pressured jet hose water wash.

Then go try, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers Dennis
Just make double sure you wash and rise this cleaner well so it won't destroy the aluminum of the condenser. Try to purchase non-acid foaming type.

Top Bottom