new sprinter with some codes

dcracer92

I just bought a 2006 3500 with 249000 on it. when i picked it up it starts and runs great but would not shift out of first gear. i took it to a trany shop, they drove it and said its more than likely not the trany its eletrical issue. They cleared the codes for me and it started working perfect. they said it will do it again so dont be suprised. well it did it to me today. it had the following codes when i picked it up.
p220a n2-n3 speed sensor mismatch
p240c sla can message incorect
p2313 shift lever position invalid
p2300 can comm. is faulty
p2221 trans temp sensor
p2310 abs can message missing
p2316 ic/atc can message missing
p2311
p2312
p2315 ic can message incorrect
p2561
p2500 inproper ratio
p2563
p2562
p2225-001 tcm dtc speed sensor voltage fault present
p1482-001 glow plug module excessive current
p2133-001 glow plug #1 ckt short to voltage
c1020 can comm. faulty stored code
c1022 can comm. to ecu faulty stored code

after he cleared those codes drove it for 250 miles and did it today i pulled into an autozone parts house and they pulled the codes and they were:

p0715 input speed sensor
p0730 incorrect gear ratio

i have been reading i could be easy as cleaning the eletrical termanls.

has anybody ever had this happen and how can i fix this.

Thanks, Levi

dcracer92

after i unhooked the plug from the tranny (might be a stupid question but is that plug sealed or is it supossed to be covered in oil)

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
If its covered in oil, you need to change the transmission connector sleeve. Here is one (there are many sources of this part)

http://store.europarts-sd.com/transmissionadapterplughousing2002-2008.aspx

Some discussion and pictures here: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19076

You probably have transmission fluid wicking up to to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) - you will want clean that up. I did what I could to seal the wires so it shouldn't do that again (see above link) - TCM's are $900 or so - I really don't want to have to replace it.

Lube up the O rings (I used lithium grease) before setting the new one in.

Last edited:

today i pulled into an autozone parts house and they pulled the codes and they were:

p0715 input speed sensor
p0730 incorrect gear ratio

i have been reading i could be easy as cleaning the eletrical termanls.

has anybody ever had this happen and how can i fix this.

Thanks, Levi
FWIW. Just because the Autozone generic OBDII scan tool didn't see a long list of codes as your tranny shop discvered doesn't mean they didn't mostly all return. The generic tool cannot comunicate with the TCM and is most likely showing only the transmission related companion codes which are stored in the ECM.

I would think inspecting/cleaning the TCM connector for oil contamination would be worthwhile. It doesn't take much shorting/stray current to affect the TCM communication. The TCM is located under the driver seat.

Edit: It is best to remove the battery negative cable before pulling the TCM connector.

Some additional information is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21133

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21166

Last edited:

dcracer92

so i need to look for oil that went up hill, from the tranny to under the driver seat? im going to take the seat out now by the fuses. ill let you know what i see thanks

dcracer92

i found the oil that went under the seat and cleaned with eletronic contact cleaner pluged the box in and the plug at the tranny. started it and drove it. it works now but the dash lights are still on. so im going to drive it back to where i got the codes checked to reset and see if its fixed

so i need to look for oil that went up hill, from the tranny to under the driver seat? ...
Yes. From your following post I believe that you have now actually observed capillary action first hand and that you are now a true believer.

The wire bundle provides close contact which allows the oil to "wick" up hill. I'm thinkin' that it finds its way up not only through the bundle, but also through the individual stranded wire insulation covered conductors because the insulation and wire create a capillary tube situation. Regardless of whether it follows the bundle or individual wire, the oil getting up to the TCM connector is a real result. Good luck. vic

Top Bottom