driving and fog lights

doghaus

doghaus
I have been struggling with what to do about adding a set of fog lights and then a set of driving lights. I've read several threads--loved the one by Chandlerazman. (great job!) Honestly, the thought of changing the bumper cover just to add the fog lights was not high on my list of things to change.

I've also been looking for a way to add the driving lights. I didn't not want to add a huge brush guard as I really don't have a need and did not want to pay the high price for one. I've seen several nice nudge bars--like the one from Outside parts but at $675 I thought I would be able to find a better option.

Here is what I've come up with--a set of PIAA 525's. They are fog and driving lights in one unit. Next came mounting them. I decided to design my own bracket and make it out of 1/4 inch aluminum. Okay, I have a friend who owns a machine shop and they were able to make it for me for a small fee. So here's what I came up with. As you can see from the picture of the lights and the bug covered front of the sprinter, I've had a chance to try them out. The fog lights are great. The driving lights are okay--for anyone living in an area where you have an open road for many miles you may not find them bright enough. Since I do most of my driving here in New England and mostly in New Hampshire and Vermont--where there is rarely a straightaway longer than a couple of miles--and the would be a long one--they work fine.

Attachments

Last edited:

david_42

I put combination PIAAs on my old RV. They were great. The RV was built in '79 and had the usual feeble sealed beams. Switching to halogen helped, but not enough. Haven't felt any need for fog or driving lights with the Sprinter, though.

Nice job.

Last edited:

Gard

I have been struggling with what to do about adding a set of fog lights and then a set of driving lights. I've read several threads--loved the one by Chandlerazman. (great job!) Honestly, the thought of changing the bumper cover just to add the fog lights was not high on my list of things to change.

I've also been looking for a way to add the driving lights. I didn't not want to add a huge brush guard as I really don't have a need and did not want to pay the high price for one. I've seen several nice nudge bars--like the one from Outside parts but at $675 I thought I would be able to find a better option.

Here is what I've come up with--a set of PIAA 525's. They are fog and driving lights in one unit. Next came mounting them. I decided to design my own bracket and make it out of 1/4 inch aluminum. Okay, I have a friend who owns a machine shop and they were able to make it for me for a small fee. So here's what I came up with. As you can see from the picture of the lights and the bug covered front of the sprinter, I've had a chance to try them out. The fog lights are great. The driving lights are okay--for anyone living in an area where you have an open road for many miles you may not find them bright enough. Since I do most of my driving here in New England and mostly in New Hampshire and Vermont--where there is rarely a straightaway longer than a couple of miles--and the would be a long one--they work fine.
That is exactly what I am looking for. Can your friend still make them, and if so, how much would he want for one shipped to Georgia?

Thanks

pfflyer

That is exactly what I am looking for. Can your friend still make them, and if so, how much would he want for one shipped to Georgia?

Thanks
Or if the OP has a drawing I have several customers that could make them locally in Ga.

smurph

A bit of a thread resurrection :) It's good to see ingenuity like this as i've been wondering how to add lights without blocking airflow to the engine - and I still want to use the step. I think i'll do something similar. Good to have friends in the metal/machining business.

pfflyer

A bit of a thread resurrection :) It's good to see ingenuity like this as i've been wondering how to add lights without blocking airflow to the engine - and I still want to use the step. I think i'll do something similar. Good to have friends in the metal/machining business.
I looked at the OP's location but never bothered to check the date the thread was started.

HighPockets

I see a lot of LED bars for the top of Jeeps and other off road vehicles including Sprinters but I've never seen any reports on their usage. Any usage reports available, anyone?

Gene

Gard

I know it was an old thread, but that is the beauty of the search button. The OP has exactly what I am looking for.

I see a lot of LED bars for the top of Jeeps and other off road vehicles including Sprinters but I've never seen any reports on their usage. Any usage reports available, anyone?

Gene
Love mine for backroads - big HID spot lights are currently hooked up to my high beams but I'll make a dedicated switch for them all when I install my large switch panel.

LED's for flood, HID's for spot is how I run them.

GSWatson

2013 144
I’d love to find a way to add lights to the front of the side mirror cases, kind of like the fake ones of the newer FJ’s. Up high, and maybe even remote moveable like a searchlight...

Get a set of hood mounts from Van Compass - the lights are up high and tucked out of the way. I run Baja Designs lights - they have a spot/spread beam light and are very very bright. I may be adding some small side shooting lights to the brackets for side fill while keeping the Baja units.

You can also see them mounted in my van here...

https://vancompass.com/products/van-compass-hoodline-light-pod-mount-sprinter-2007

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d love to find a way to add lights to the front of the side mirror cases, kind of like the fake ones of the newer FJ’s. Up high, and maybe even remote moveable like a searchlight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VHB tape could be your friend if you find some low profile lights and fab up a small bracket...

Top Bottom