What oil for 2007

Silver

A friend has a '07 sprinter and wants to find a more reasonable priced oil then the one he has been buying, which is $9 a quart. So, I told him I would post here and see if you guys could help him out in getting a more reasonable priced oil. He also needs a low ash one as he has a particle filter (one of the stupidest things they have added to the newer sprinters).

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The newer Diesels are much cleaner burning than the old ones. As a result, new technologies are needed to meet emissions requirements. I don't think anyone here is fond of their EGR valve, but we all have them on our NAFTA Sprinters. DPF is just another issue to deal with.

Always use the correct fluids, its really cheap insurance. If the owner can change the fluids themselves, its even more cost effective and you still have right stuff in your vehicle.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Nope, diesel-rated synthetics are expensive. The best he can do is watch for sales.
+1

NAPA appears to have sales of Valvoline SynPower MST (VV966) 5w40 & Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-40 (both MB 229.51 compliant) at fairly regular intervals.

I have 2 oil changes worth of the Valvoline in my garage, bought at ~$5/qt on a trip through the USA last Fall.

Last edited:

Silver

Thanks everyone, he is just really having problems buying the one he is getting and also can't find it in the gallon form. He's in TX so you would figure he could find a good priced oil in gallon containers. :lol:

sailquik

Silver,
The best price for the best oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40) is at the Mercedes Benz
dealers.
They charge about $7.00 per quart, and they sell/install genuine MB filters.
If you had a 2010 or later Sprinter with the Blue Tec.... they have the right machine and
fluids to analyze and refill the Deisel Exhaust fluid (DEF).
So, you can pay more for the oil, and use cheaper filters, but for my money, the MB dealers
have all the right materials, the correct tools, and MB trained technicians.
If they make a mistake and there's a problem, they will take care of it.
The responsibility is pretty much totally in MBUSA's court on any required warranty work.
Roger

Silver

Silver,
The best price for the best oil (Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40) is at the Mercedes Benz
dealers.
They charge about $7.00 per quart, and they sell/install genuine MB filters.
If you had a 2010 or later Sprinter with the Blue Tec.... they have the right machine and
fluids to analyze and refill the Deisel Exhaust fluid (DEF).
So, you can pay more for the oil, and use cheaper filters, but for my money, the MB dealers
have all the right materials, the correct tools, and MB trained technicians.
If they make a mistake and there's a problem, they will take care of it.
The responsibility is pretty much totally in MBUSA's court on any required warranty work.
Roger
That's his problem Roger he's been dealing with a dealer and they are screwing him blue....
So, he's not trying to save money by switching to a cheap oil but a way or a type of oil that he can get in a gallon container and start doing it himself.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
So, he's not trying to save money by switching to a cheap oil but a way or a type of oil that he can get in a gallon container and start doing it himself.
It is hard to find MB 229.51 oil in the states packaged in anything but quart or liter bottles.

Here's the latest MB-229.51 sheet

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevol...nt_action=show&mark=229.51&suchbegriff=229.51

TOTAL QUARTZ INEO MC3 5W30 5QT BOTTLE SKU # 802306

So that's a compliant oil that comes in a 5 liter bottle (it's probably a liter, not a quart since I think they're in France).

SKU means "Stock keeping unit." I don't know the SKU for 5w40.

I haven't checked in a long time, but as late as last July neither Mobil, Valvoline or Pennzoil-Quaker State packaged 229.51 oils in anything but a quart or liter bottle... or a 50 gallon barrel.

-Jon

PS: I haven't seen it at Costco or in Wal-Mart. That's a problem that might be solved with grass roots activism (which amounts to a letter writing campaign unless you RV folk want to do an old fashioned sit in while Shanemac, ChandlerAZman, bblessing and the rest of the cargo crew keep on working to pay the bills).

Last edited:

icarus

Mobil Synthetic at NAPA, on sale, buy it by the case when it is on sale fr ~$5qt.
I've never seen it in gallons,, too bad!

Icarus

Last edited:

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I was in Pep Boys yesterday and they have Mobil 1 ESP Formula M that is specifically for Mercedes and is low ash and the best oil for use in your Sprinter.

Try Pep Boys.

BigBlueBus

I used to buy it at PepBoys but the price never dropped below $8.49/quart ouch:thumbdown:

I found it at my local Napa for $5.49/quart so I ordered 4 cases (48 quarts); the guy thought I was nuts. I still have enough for 1 oil change and currently waiting for the next sale. I do wish that it came in the larger bottles but no luck. Perhaps we could all write to Mobil with a "suggestion". The squeaky wheel gets the grease.:2cents:

Top Bottom