2003 Sprinter No Start

Erbeier

Designer / Fabricator
Hello,

First I am new to this forum (cause I just bought a sprinter today). If this post is redundant or discussed on a thread I have not found my apologies.

I have a 2003 sprinter 2500. It will not start with out the help of a little spritz of wd40 in the intake. It will start right up with this help. It runs and idles fine. I just drove it from Wichita to kansas city and everything was great. Got about 21mpg. The previous owner was told by his mechanic that air was leaking into the fuel system at the injectors possibly. The fuel pump, filter and lines from the tank to the fuel rail have been replaced. Does anyone have any thoughts of where I should start? I hate to just start replacing injectors as they are expensive. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

I recently posted this answer to a no start post.

If the fuel rail pressure is not high enough it can cause a no start condition. NAFTA 5 cylinder engines [generally] need 200 RPM or so for starting. Once the engine rpm's are higher (tow starting?) then often the fuel rail pressure will come up high enough to start and run normally. Even a strong normal cranking speed may not be able to attain the higher pressure needed.

The low fuel rail pressure will not necessarily set a DTC. Low fuel rail pressure can be caused by excessive injector leakoff or problems with the fuel pressure regulation components and obviously the high pressure pump, but don't blame that right away.

A scan and live data check is really necessary. I would check the fuel rail pressure at cranking. On the NAFTA engines higher than 3000 psi sticks in my mind as the minimum which is needed. Maybe try an injector leak off test also? Good luck. vic

P.S. - Does it sound like I might know what I'm talking about?:professor: Don't be fooled. I was recently instructed on a 5 cylinder engine with fuel rail pressure issues. Your conditions sound familiar. That said, it could be many other things too and that's why you need a scan.
The thread containing that post is here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21189

I have a 2003 sprinter 2500. It will not start with out the help of a little spritz of wd40 in the intake. It will start right up with this help. It runs and idles fine.
Thanks,
Erik
In your case you can insert "spritz of WD40" for "(tow starting?)" in my text above. Anything which kicks the RPM's up a bit upon on starting, which then increases the fuel pump output and fuel rail pressure can help starting.

A scan for codes and a live data check of fuel rail pressure during cranking should verify whether your problem is low fuel rail pressure during starting. Good luck. vic

Last edited:

A.Hayes

Don't know if WD-40 helps an "air in fuel lines" condition, but it's worth searching for that in the blue bar above and doing some reading. Your '03 has the OM 612 motor and clear fuel lines- you can look for air bubbles in the lines which settle under the EGR (at the front of the intake manifold) at shut down. Be aware that the fuel pump on this motor is on the front of the engine and draws the fuel by suction through the fuel filter- this tends to cause headaches with multiple connectoins at the filter all capable of sucking in air. Also search "injector leak off test" in Write ups by Type2Teach- it's an easy DIY way to check injectors.

Erbeier

Designer / Fabricator
Thank you for the fast replies. I will look into a scanning device, injector leak off test and fuel rail pressure. There are no visible air bubbles in the clear fuel lines.

surlyoldbill

Thank you for the fast replies. I will look into a scanning device, injector leak off test and fuel rail pressure. There are no visible air bubbles in the clear fuel lines.
I started a thread called "hard to start when hot" that has a lot of no-start info on the OM612 motor. Mine was a bad injector, leak off test discovered it.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Air could possibly be getting into the fuel line at the connection into the Low pressure fuel pump . In the attached picture it is the hose with the white clip above the letter C of MightyVac and below the end of the orange line drawn.
If the white clip is not in that down position it could be letting air in and would not necessarily show up in the clear fuel line, IMHO.

A fuel injection cleaner with higher cetane fuel just may be needed if the leak off test and the connection are good.

Attachments

A.Hayes

Also, if you are messing with fuel lines: a bit counter-intuitive, but the U shaped white clips at the connections are seated properly when pulled "out". You push the base of the "U" in to release them. You can sort of see one in the pic above over where the word "Vac".

Erbeier

Designer / Fabricator
Just completed the injector leak test as advised. Injector #1 leaked a little, 2,3 and 5 didn't leak at all, injector #4 leaked so much that the tube almost overflowed!

Is there a good place to purchase injectors online? I have seen some on ebay for a decent price.

Thanks again.

BTW this forum is awesome! I just found a thread that goes through all the tools needed and steps to remove an injector.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I wouldn't worry about 1-3,&5 , though #1 might benefit from Deisel Kleen additive. #4 definitely should be changed.
Ebay is the cheapest I've found, but you will get the right part and service from SprinterStore online Oregon, a supporter on this Forum, or Europarts-SD online, or Berry Sprinter parts.

surlyoldbill

Just completed the injector leak test as advised. Injector #1 leaked a little, 2,3 and 5 didn't leak at all, injector #4 leaked so much that the tube almost overflowed!

Is there a good place to purchase injectors online? I have seen some on ebay for a decent price.

Thanks again.

BTW this forum is awesome! I just found a thread that goes through all the tools needed and steps to remove an injector.
Replacement of a bad injector allowed my van to start normally, so I'll bet this is your biggest problem with starting. It doesn't hurt to check out other stuff while you're at it. When was the last time you cleaned your EGR and MAF?

The previous owner was told by his mechanic that air was leaking into the fuel system at the injectors possibly.
I was reading this post and wanted to make a clarification for anyone with a similar problem. Air cannot leak into the fuel system at the injectors. The pressures are so great, if there was a leak, it would be fuel leaking out of the injector. :crazy:

Top Bottom