Low Speed Operation

jeffs

I read the cautions about minimizing the the amount of time one allows the engine to idle to avoid problems with the emission system components. Are there any cautions about long time operation at very low speeds. I want to use the van to support a bicycle race and it is possible, depending on wind conditions that the van could be driven at 10 mph or less for 5 or 10 hours or longer. Are there any recommendations against this kind of service or suggested mitigations, such as driving in some gear other than D?

Jeff S

icarus

My WAG would b to make sure you keep the engine temp up, and keep the revs up, maybe in the 2500 rpm range. Other than that, I wouldn't think it would cause a problem. In some regard, the engine doesn't know if it is going 20 mph at 2500 or 60.

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice,

Icarus

sailquik

I would agree with icarus.
Keep your Sprinter in 1st gear and the engine turning > 1200 RPMs and I do
not think you will have any issues.
Might be good to take it for a 5-10 mile drive on the freeway @ > 65 mph to blow
out any accumulations built up while following the bicycle race.
Roger

Only agree to shepherd the lead competitors. :laughing:

I agree with Icarus and Roger also. You should use the transmission to keep the revs up. It's not like you'll be just idling for the entire time. Engine temp will be what it will be. No real reason to worry so just volunteer for it and enjoy the day. vic

jeffs

Ok, thank you all. I can have the drivers follow this advice pretty easily. I've done this before with a Honda Odyssey but the extra space of the Sprinter will be so much nicer for the crew. Normally would not have even thought about it, however, those couple of Forum posts about idling came to mind and I thought I should get some input.

Jeff S

icarus

Actually can have an effect on coolant temp by adding (or subtracting) a grill cover, or grill plugs. I routinely plug much of my grill when temps are below ~50f. Get a scan gauge and monitor coolant temps and you will soon know if you need more air,, or less through the radiator.

Icarus

Last edited:

... I routinely plug much of my girl when temps are below ~50f.
Icarus
Sir,
You are truly testing my conviction to avoid personal comments about members in my replies.

OK I failed.

So she must get very lonely in the summer. Sorry. Couldn't resist. vic

Top Bottom