Oil and Filter Question...

flan8tive

Hello...since the Sprinter-Source has become my Sprinter Bible and I will be doing my first ever 2004 T1N oil change soon, I wanted to pose the following:

Prior oil changes were done by an independent diesel shop that the prior owner used

Valvoline VV301 10/40 Durablend is what is currently in the motor. Am planning to use the same unless I am cautioned against it.

(Have ordered some Hengst or Mann oil filters from Eurocampers)

Also, when I change the fuel filter, do I need to take any precautions as far as air getting in the lines?

Thanks so much! :bow:

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The 2002/2003 Fuel Filters can be a challenge (because there is no fuel pump in the fuel tank), but the 2004 and later pressurize that line into the filter at around 60 psi. Use the right fuel line clamps (and not the ones that most auto parts stores sell) - 13mm and 15mm sizes are available.

Make sure you don't have any o-ring leaks (oil and fuel filter) once you are done.

There are write ups on changing the Fuel Filter.

sailquik

The oil you are using is not on the MB BEVO as a 229.5 approved oil.
The only Valvoline oils that meet 229.5 are:
Valvoline SynPower 5W-40
Valvoline SynPower HST

It also is not on the MB BEVO 229.3 approval list
The only Valvoline products that meet 229.3 are:
Valvoline DuraBlend MXL
Valvoline SynPower 5W-30

Why not switch to Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0w-40
which is the factory fill and the most recommended oil for
your OM-647 engine.
By using a 10W-40 "blended" (not full synthetic) oil you are compromising your
cold engine start up lubrication.
Once warmed up, the 10W-40 will develop the same viscosity, but since it's
< fully synthetic suggest getting an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs) and
probably changing the oil and filter more often.
Roger

Last edited:

If it has an ACEA rating of E7 then it can be considered at least as good as MB228.3 spec oil. If not, then it may not be a good choice. Given similar price I'd look for the proper MB rating on the label unless you have other personal reasons for staying with what you use.

Here's the reason (post #171) I think that an ACEA E7 oil of the proper viscosity is OK for a T1N NAFTA 5 cylinder diesel Sprinter. FWIW. vic

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=167080#post167080

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
No, Durablend does not meet your engine's requirements, neither MB229.3 , only ACEA A1, that is not intended for diesels. Do not repeat the previous owner's mistake.
Use Synpower 5W40 if you don't mind supporting the Gulf Oil Spill Company, BP, otherwise Mobil 1

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Shell's Rotella T5 has approval MB228.51 in 5W40 applicable for OM612la and OM647LA engines, your 2004 is good with that

surlyoldbill

Mobil-1 is $25/gallon at Walmart, Rotella synthetic is $23, Chevron Delo is $11. For just $30 extra total cost over the cheapest oil, you could be running Mobil-1. (oil fill is 9 quarts)

Food for thought.

sailquik

Hmmmm.... MB BEVO Spec 229.3 and 229.5 are for the OM-612 and OM-647 5 cylinder 2.7 liter NAFTA Sprinters ('02-'06 year models).
The MB BEVO Spec. 229.51 is the low ash Formula M for the OM-642 V6 3.0 liter NAFTA Sprinters ('07-'12 year models).
Least it was last time I looked?
The 5 cylinder Sprinters do not have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that REQUIRES the
low ash formula oils.
Makes no sense to put the low ash oils in OM-612 and OM-647 engine Sprinters.
Roger

Oh boy. Another lube/oil thread springs to life. I'll help grease the skids. :cheers:

Right you are,
Last line says that it is, not on BeVo list though, and not in 5W40, but 10W40

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t5/
What it says...

"Shell Rotella® T5 provides exceptional piston cleanliness and sludge control, exceeding the MB 228.51 requirements in the demanding OM 611LA, OM 501LA and OM 646LA engine tests."

It never mentions "MB approved". It also never mentions the OM612 or OM647 5 cylinder NAFTA engines by number either, or the NAFTA OM642 V6 for that matter either.

All oil marketing people are good with using words like "exceeds", "meets", "Formulated", etc. to imply that the product has official approval when it actually doesn't.

...The 5 cylinder Sprinters do not have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that REQUIRES the
low ash formula oils.
Makes no sense to put the low ash oils in OM-612 and OM-647 engine Sprinters.
Roger
That is what MB recommends per BEVO and what I found I couldn't dispute given the research I did when trying to decide whether to continue to use MB228.31 Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic or not. (I no longer use it.) Low ash (MB228.31, MB229.51, ACEA E9) is not what we want for our NAFTA 5 cylinder diesels.

The Shell T5 mentioned above has an ACEA E9 (low ash) rating with no mention of ACEA E7
(essentially similar to MB228.3). I wouldn't use it in a 5 cylinder as there are many other fairly common better oil choices available in North America. FWIW. vic

talkinghorse43

On BeVo sheet 223.2, MB recommends 0wXX or 5wXX, 228.3, 228.5&.51, 229.3&.31, 229.5&.51 spec-approved oils for the OM612s & 647s, so I see no reason not to use the 0wXX or 5wXX approved low ash oils for the non-DPF engines if circumstances warrant. Seems to me it's a poor bet to try to second-guess MB unless you can demonstrate more expertise than their engineers can collectively.

Last edited:

shortshort

Dis member
To get the air out of the fuel filter on your 04:
1) install the new filter
2) attach a long, tight fitting hose to the outlet on the filter's water drain and terminate it in your fuel filler inlet.
3) turn the key to run
4) open the water drain valve on the top of the filter then close it after bubble free fluid is coming out of the filter (a few seconds at most).

Last edited:

On BeVo sheet 223.2, MB recommends 0wXX or 5wXX, 228.3, 228.5&.51, 229.3&.31, 229.5&.51 spec-approved oils for the OM612s & 647s, so I see no reason not to use the 0wXX or 5wXX approved low ash oils for the non-DPF engines if circumstances warrant. Seems to me it's a poor bet to try to second-guess MB unless you can demonstrate more expertise than their engineers can collectively.
Jon,
You are exactly correct as to the BEVO list. I guess that I was crossing over some comments from other places which indicated that low ash formulas are not necessarily the best choice if a DPF is not involved or otherwise required. I believe BITOG was one of the sources.

I also recall that comments were made that regular non-low ash formulas are probably going to get harder to find as time goes by. That may make even MB BEVO more lenient. As an aside, I could swear that the BEVO list at one time excluded more low ash MB specs than it does now for the OM612 and OM647 engines, not just MB228.31. Of course lead being removed from fuel, methanol added to fuels and ultra low sulfur were each going to ruin our vehicle engines according to some people also. That doesn't seem to be the case so far.

If I really cared I'd save some of those BEVO PDF's for comparison. They do seem to revise them at times. :idunno:

Page 5 Note 3 fine print as to viscosity...

3.) Recommendation: In order to ensure optimum lubrication at
low outside temperatures and owing to increased loads (e.g.
due to biofuels), the viscosities SAE 0W>30, 0W>40 or SAE
5W>30, 5W>40 are recommended as year>round oils for VAN
engines.
Please note the application areas in the operator's manual or
on sheet 224.1 in this regard.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf

There is no mention of 10w anything for VAN use year round. Of course I didn't go to sheet 224.1 either. The BEVO list isn't the easiest to use. :drink: vic

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_224_1.pdf

Last edited:

Top Bottom