Darn rodents!

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Mouse or rat chewed up the large (4" or so OD) rubber boot or grommet under the drivers seat, where the wire harness routes thru the floor pan. :yell:

After serious searching I cannot locate a part number in the 2004 T1N parts manual for this boot. I have a 2005 T1N. Can anyone out there perhaps help me out and supply this part number?

Dirty rat also did some minor damage to the 20 g. wires which should be a pain to repair but otherwise no big deal. Do not know if it is true but have heard that rodents love gnawing on wiring insulation and that they seem to prefer German vehicles wiring. Perhaps the Germans have better tasting plastics... :idunno:

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
You will never be able to run wires thru a replacement grommet (unless you like disconnecting 100 wires and then reconnecting them all again - I would avoid that).

You might see of you can find neoprene (rubber) sheets (about the size of a piece of paper) at a hardware store, and some weather strip cement (from an auto parts store) and make up something you can work in where the holes are. I have pulled new wires in and out of that boot, so I am familiar with what it looks like. Black electrical tape on the damaged wires will probably help. Also, while you are there, check to see if any of the cables feel oily - if they do, you will want to change the transmission connector sleeve (if its leaking and wicking up to the Transmission Control Unit, you could eventually have an expensive repair - the sleeve is around $12, the TCM is around $900).

bc339

Is the boot completely destroyed or could it be repaired with a large tire patch kit or large piece of a tire inner tube?
Just a thought...

I'm looking for the boot in EPC.

Bruce

Bruce,
Even if you find the part number for him it may still need your good suggestion of tire patch technology. As mentioned above, there's many wires to deal with. An old inner tube has the advantage of a basic shape which may adapt easily. My old standby EDPM roof membrane has the advantage of durability and longevity. Either way I'd be tempted to try a repair because the OEM part probably won't be an easy R&R and will need adapting anyway.

Is it me or does it seem the rodents west of the Mississippi have more of a taste for Sprinter parts than the eastern variety? Seems a bunch of these type threads come from the wild west. :idunno: vic

Is the boot completely destroyed or could it be repaired with a large tire patch kit or large piece of a tire inner tube?
Just a thought...

I'm looking for the boot in EPC.

Bruce

bc339

Definitely not an easy job!
I added the trailer wiring harness a few years back. Part of the harness came through the boot under the seat. The boot is at the top center of the image.

It was also a surprise to see how much the seat cushion was deteriorating.

Seems like replacing the boot would create bigger headaches.

Bruce

Attachments

mendonsy

Where that is located you won't get any points for appearance sooo...................

1) check all of the wires and repair any damaged insulation with electrical tape
2) get a large tube of RTV sealant and apply several layers allowing for curing time between layers.
3) coat the whole mess with roofing cement.

It will definitely not be pretty but it will be waterproof (and mouse proof). :2cents: :wtf:

david_42

Can't help on the boot, but I've had rodent problems under the driver's seat. One chewed through some insulation and grounded the wire from the emergency brake. Had to drive 60 miles with the alarm screeching, as there's no mechanical buzzer to remove. They'd gotten into the ventilation as well. Took a bottle of Febreze and changing the cabin air filter to remove the smell.

I've had good luck with the AC rodent repelling sonic devices available at hardware stores. Plug it in to an extension cord and leave it inside the van.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
OK, much of the rodent damaged wiring under the driver seat has been re-spliced. I still have to figure out what two unknown wires belong to. One brown and one blue, housed in a single rubber casing. Anyone know what these should connect to? :idunno:

Nothing I can find in the service manual wiring diagrams matches. I'm stumped!

(2005 T1N cargo with AC, C/C, ASSYST, fog lamps, rear window deicers. No power windows, mirrors, locks, or special seat options)

... One brown and one blue, housed in a single rubber casing. ...
Splice the brown one to the other brown one, and the blue one to the other blue one. :dripsarcasm:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :tongue:

Brown is most always ground in MB and VW vehicles, BUT brown and blue in the same casing almost sounds like some added 120 volt wire?? Brown and blue are used for Euro power cords. There isn't a green with yellow stripe there too is there? Sorry I can't offer more. vic

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Yeah, on these vans earth = brown. Sprinter 101.

Good to know I am not the only one stumped by the blue wire. :cheers: Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer today!

Sadly, repairing the gnawed thru wires didn't cure the dash warning lights as I'd hoped. SRS, ABS, ESP and ASR remain lit up. The van drives normally, all brake lamps function fine, cruise control works great, and I can feel ABS pedal feedback sometimes which seems to indicate it is operational.

Thanks to this forum I know to check fuse #5, rear light bulbs, and wheel sensors. It seems most likely a brake sensor is causing the brake related warnings.

Are there home-grown steps to clear the dash lamps and to verify the function of the brake sensors and /or the SRS system?

Thanks!

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Mystery blue and brown wires are visible in the middle of this shot. (Ignore the brown wires on the left, thise are parking brake lamp leads).

Attachments

Dingo

That black covered cable looks like european twin core mains cable Live & neutral
( hot & ground ) to our US readers . That kind of cable is used for double insulated domestic thingies such as hair dryers , audio power leads.

Hope this answers your question

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
That black covered cable looks like european twin core mains cable Live & neutral
( hot & ground ) to our US readers . That kind of cable is used for double insulated domestic thingies such as hair dryers , audio power leads.
Thanks Yes it does look like that. However, it sure appears to be factory. It originates in the factory bundle of wires that makes up the dash harness. Except for the color of the enclosed wires, it is similar or identical to the twin core cable that goes to the seat belt buckle switch.

So, the mystery remains unsolved...

I can always wire it up to power an ultrasonic rodent device, I guess!

Last edited:

Dingo

Has some added the wires & covered them with self amalgamating tape or heat shrink tubing ???

HAd a rummage in my mates van & cannot see anything similar in his , SO good luck & God speed on this one :thumbup:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Given where it's at, the only Blue/Brown two wire cable i find in the service manual is:
the driving lines to the passenger side seat belt tensioner.
SeatBeltTensioner.gif

Handle with care...

(the "20BL" means 20 gauge wire, Blue)

--dick

Top Bottom