Microcar haulin' sprinter

RIMSPOKE

I HAD SOME REQUESTS FOR PICTURES OF OUR SPRINTER WE USE TO TAKE OUR MICROCARS TO SHOWS .

( ACTUALLY WE USE IT FOR EVERYTHING BUT THIS IS A BIT SPECIALIZED )

MY VAN IS A 2006 140" T1N & THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO FIT AN ISETTA
BETWEEN THE WHEEL WELLS .

I USED MY TRUSTY SAWZALL TO CUT OUT THE INNER FENDERS OUT OS A PERFECTLY GOOD VAN .
I TRIMMED 2 1/2" FROM EACH ONE AND RE-WELDED THEM IN PLACE .
WE NOW HAVE 55" BETWEEN THEM AND IT CAN ACCOMMODATE AN ISETTA ALONG WITH 5 PEOPLE !

I HAVE YET TO POST A PICTURE DIRECTLY TO THIS SITE ( IT SAYS THEY ARE TOO BIG ) SO HERE IS A LINK TO THE 2002faq SITE THAT DIDN'T THINK SO .

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,373094/

I CAN ALSO HAUL A SECOND ISETTA , MESSERSCHMITT OR FREEWAY ON A
TRAILER BEHIND THE VAN FOR TWICE THE FUN .

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Excellent. As a micro car fan, I'm tickled to see Richard's pic.
What are the issues with narrowing the wheel wells? Is there any chance that the tires (tyres) would come into contact in the smaller space? I am concidering getting a UTV, bu I don't want to haul it aound on a tailer if I have a big empty van. And they are all over 48" wide.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Bill the photo provided is RIMSPOKE's he can't work out how to down size a pic for the forum ,click his link the photos are neat.
Made me giggle as to moving to Tasmania in the late sixties the first thing that took my notice was a PMG postal Vespa converted to a van..
VVT.JPG
And I thought Sprinters were smart.
VVP1.jpg
PS the Van parked next to the Vespa is a Ford Transit."Nothings new"
Richard

surlyoldbill

I measured my Nash Metropolitan, and technically it WOULD fit in the back of my van, but the wheel wells would be a problem.

RIMSPOKE

I managed to find 55" of room between the wells .
The isetta is 53 1/2" so it is still a close fit .

There is still over 1/2" of clearance between the tire and the well .
If there is a rubbing issue , i have not found it yet .

Top Bottom