Wow no idea where to start

ocwenlv

So I purchase 2004 118 46,000 miles, previously a CoStar Commercial Property van. Sole intent to use as mobile construction office. I fly to California to pick up. Battery dead when I get there, they jump it with jump pack, it starts up. I drive it 1/2 mile no issues, then it stalls battery dead. Rather than screw around I go buy new battery, install it. Van starts right up. I proceed another 1/2 mile to fill up no problem, get to pump shut off fill up. Start van will not move or go above 1200 rpm in drive or reverse,park or neutral revs up.Van will not move no lights on dash. I get towed to garage they run diagnostic say computer is not getting voltage values. Tap on mass airflow all of a sudden boom got values. So replace mass airflow, reset codes drive all is good. I pay them, drive straight from Fontana Ca to Las Vegas no issues runs and shifts great. Exit on Las Vegas blvd transmission does weird jerk almost like torque converter locked 1-1. Then no go at all like tranny out of fluid. Turn key all way off wait start back up now have drive and revs only what seems to be second gear only for couple blocks. Turn key off do again can go further. Go to part store use scanner have mass air flow,speed sensor,axle ratio? codes reset drive I block later all same?It's Saturday am rent U-haul load driving back to Green Bay completely confused. Been reading forum, van was towed, prior o me picking up with rear wheels on ground no protection setting set, moved with a fork lift with one rear wheel partially turning, jumped. I have no idea where to start. Be home tonight:)

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
for a van thats being sold they would have had a good battery in it unless they were hiding something.you should have made sure it was running first and had a test drive as it looks like your stuck with a bad van.:frown:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
My Sprinter had many bad connections (I ended up pulling the fuses and relays, one at a time - under the drivers seat and under the steering column - cleaning fuse/relay contacts, adjusting the fuse holders and carefully checking all fuses to see if any were open). This fixed a lot of strange intermittant issues. I also had a place where someone spliced into an existing circuit that kept blowing one of the 7.5 amp fuses (I routed a separate relay in for all non standard power usage with a 6 guage wire off the battery).

If your van has been sitting long, it may be because they have had problems running it (bad connections, or shorts as a result of chafing power thru body parts are known issues to have happened in the past).

It sounds like you went into Limp Home Mode (LHM). That could be caused by a lot of things. Do a search on the forum.

Nbulken

I'm a former Costar field researcher, and spent 3 years piloting a twin to your van. From what you've described I suspect it was one of a fleet which got mothballed when they changed from team research (two people working in that style vehicle) to individuals driving a Prius. Judging by the miles your vehicle likely has been sitting at least 3 and possibly as long as 6 years in storage. Feel free to drop me a PM, I think I have a wiring diagram for that beast (if it still has the electronics suite inside you'll definitely need it).

checked the desktop at the house... no joy in mudville, however I still have friends at the main office, maybe I can get a copy if you need the diagram.

Last edited:

ocwenlv

Replaced transducer plate in transmission by dealer 1100 later was all good for 700 miles. Now same thing now dealership thinks? torque converter bad but they are not sure. So they want another 2,500 to replace , but this may not be it either. All these computers on these vehicles and we can not narrow it down. All of a sudden a 1972 Dodge Dart with slant 6 is looking really good! So far I have absolutely nothing good to say about these trucks! Parts too expensive, too mant dealer only items, dealer only access to diagnostics. Should be like cell phones, we will I've it to you free cause we are really going to bend you over while we can.

Zoo now I am plling from dealer taking to transmission shop for 3k they are going to completely rebuild and warranty for 1year, at least I can rule that part out. Then from there I can change parts and guess at it just as well as the dealership, without the huge mark ups.

Was going to buy a new Sprinter for our maintenance guy, now longer! I am going back to trusty F-250 any one can fix. I would rather pay the ****ty fuel mileage, than be completely at the mercy of the dealerships.

I will advise of what the actual problem was once and if I ever find.

Thanks
Shane
920-737-9000

A.Hayes

If I were you, I'd be pricing out shipping to Pittsburgh... if you want your Sprinter problems SOLVED, Andy Bittenbinder can do it. Relatively speaking, you are not that far away, and spending money on parts and service that you don't need may cost you lots more that getting your van to PA and back and getting it fixed right.
Call him: 412-366-6165

"In the last 2 weeks my shop had Sprinters from CA, MN, FL, Central PA, SC and GA. Several arrived by flatbed.

Shipping can be very reasonable when using services such as U-Ship.com.

Most far away owners then fly into our highly rated airport, are picked up in their own Sprinter, then drive their pride and joy back home. Makes for a great mini vacation road trip.

Doktor A"

1cylshort

...of a full Cummins.
*****Do NOT replace a transmission just because the transmission acts up.******

Limp Home Mode (LHM) disables the turbo, and won't let the trans. shift past second gear.

Errant sensors or engine issues can put the truck in to LHM.

You need a knowledgeable Sprinter Tech, not just a parts swapper.

Something as simple as a split air intake hose (leaky) can trip LHM and cause what the common mechanic would call a 'bad transmission'- when its only a SIMPLE $100 part.

PS- Free Sprinter? I'll take it.

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

*****Do NOT replace a transmission just because the transmission acts up.******

Limp Home Mode (LHM) disables the turbo, and won't let the trans. shift past second gear.

Errant sensors or engine issues can put the truck in to LHM.

You need a knowledgeable Sprinter Tech, not just a parts swapper.

Something as simple as a split air intake hose (leaky) can trip LHM and cause what the common mechanic would call a 'bad transmission'- when its only a SIMPLE $100 part.

PS- Free Sprinter? I'll take it.
Agreed. Get a proper diagnosis before assuming it has ANYTHING to do with the transmission itself. It may be as simple as the fairly common loose ECU or fuse block connections. I'm betting on a defective electronic sensor/connection/etc rather than a mechanic problem.:2cents:

Top Bottom