PDA

View Full Version : Hose identity, function and condition

jdcaples
11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I was poking around the engine compartment today and noticed this hose, which is the most "chapped" (for lack of a better word) of the ones I could see.

It's cold today and there's a lot of dew. This is the only hose that seems to condense water on the outside, like the windshield collects moisture.

I can't identify this hose from the parts catalog.

What is it, what does it do?

If it were a coolant hose on a vehicle I've owned before, I'd replace it because of the exterior cracking.... should I consider replacing this one?

-Jon

PS: 2200 (mostly inner city) miles w/o a problem

Black Sheep
11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Warranty!

jdcaples
11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Warranty!

I just stopped into an independant Mercedes parts dealer. He said that the hose is not under pressure and does not appear to be EGR related since that's usually metal.

While the chaffing's unusual, it's doesn't warrant concern or replacement; only watching it for further degradation, a visible hole/split and/or fault-code generation. His final comment on the hose was that it'd probably last 10 years like that.

We'll see.

He also said that the vehicle's too new for him to order parts for because the truck's still under warranty.

Most of his customer base is involved in post-warranty upkeep.

As an aside, he said it was a pretty nice ride.

His phone started ringing, but his feet didn't walk back to the parts counter very quickly. He just kept staring at it, not watching where his feet were going at all. I'm surprised he didn't trip on one of the steps as he made his way back to the parts counter.

-Jon

jdcaples
11-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Yesterday I requested a quote for that hose, just in case I wanted to replace it.

Roy at Mercedes shop called me today and we spoke for a few minutes.

He's barred by Mercedes from ordering that part as it is Sprinter-specific. He also said that he could sell a lot of Sprinter parts to a fleet owner in New York - and live quite comfortably - were it not for that policy.

I asked for the source of the policy. His response: Dr. Z.

For some reason he felt that Germany was the source of this preposterous policy. He said he could lose his license.

Now I wonder if other Mercedes parts dealers are under the same restriction. I'll close this thread and we can discuss in another.

-Jon