everyday weight

72chevy4x4

had to make a trip to the dump to toss some remodeling materials and was a bit surprised to find out my weight after the debris was gone is 8000lbs. I am a contractor and have lots of shelving filled w/ tools and suoplies-but that's a lot of weight :idunno:

maybe I should look through the stock and try to lighten the load a little bit. Does anyone else know your typical weight? How much does fuel weigh? I was 10 gallons short of a full tank. My hope was to one day install a hitch and use it for occasionally towing items (maybe my mower for instance); the weight limit is listed as 8500 (exact??) pounds-if my van is registered w/ the state as 8500 lbs I could get in trouble if puilled over and weighed-no way a small trailer and ZTR would be less than 500lbs.

sailquik

724x4chevy,
It depends alot on what your state regulations are re: GVWR vs GCWR.
That's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating vs Gross Combined Weight Rating.
Most states consider the weight in the trailer separately but it figues into
the GCWR, so as long as you stay under the GCWR the trailer weight does
not count on yout GVWR stated on your registration.
If the gross vehicle weight rating of your Sprinter is 8,500 lbs, and the max. towing
capacity is 5,000 lbs. your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight would be 13,500 lbs.
It's changing some.
In NC if you have a "weighted" plate (commercial) you have to register at the
weight of the combined vehicles. I know as I got an $87.00 ticket for it, and
had to change the registered weight on my MF 6 ton 4x4 box truck to 18,000 lbs.
Seemed crazy to register a 6 ton (12,000 lbs. GVWR) at 9 tons to cover the weight
of the trailer and it's cargo.
Roger

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
2007 2500 144" WB, high roof (not mega roof): 5300 LBS with me (140 lbs) in the driver seat, nearly full tank of fuel.

-Jon

72chevy4x4

Thanks Roger-I'll have to check into the combined weight limits for Delaware. I have not lettered the Sprinter yet b/c once I do so, it's an easy 'commercial' target for state weigh lanes-otherwise, unlettered, it's unlikely I will be stopped and weighed, and potentially cited (not that I am trying to break the law).

Thanks for the weight Jon-I knew I have a lot of stuff, but a tad more than I 'want'. Part of the price of having a well stocked van...maybe it's time to raise rates :hmmm:

Top Bottom