I need a 170 ext, where is it? Please help

Bought my 07 170 ext, july for 36550.00, with cruise/pw mir/step bump.(yes there was tax and title costs too)
I am getting a buyback check for 36550.00 this coming week.
I cannot find another 170 ext. in either Dodge or Freightliner
or should I say that I cannot find one thats even close in $.
I literally just missed the one that was posted on ebay for 36k
Missed it by 12hrs. Oh and it was too good to be true, it even had the 22b option.
I was in process of setting it up for one of my guys to fly to Dallas to fetch it when it got sold out from under me.
I have called all the Freightliner dealers in my region and then some. (there is one in Kansas City for 41k, not an option)
And the only "Local" Dodge dealer in Erie, Pa will not deal or even consider knocking a grand off to help me out, so sweet and helpful they are at HUME dodge in pa.
I am going to wallow in some beer for awhile,
I really did not think it would be so challenging to locate another 170 ext. I was wrong. And I really cannot afford the extra 5k for a 08.
if you know where there might be a 170ext with 22a/22b for an immediate sale.
it would also be helpful it did not pull to the drivers side
Please let me know asap
Cheers
fraser

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
:laughing:

Why I laugh? Not at you, but in the end, with you...

All 07 builds are on the lots in North America. Any Dodge or Freightliner dealer should be able to locate all that is available Retail/New. BUT...

Here in Canada
'07 = 2700 units for all flavours, with EXTend being like 300 units allocated.
'08 = 3000 units, with similar % for EXTended.

I just got confimation yesterday that my nearly 2 month deposit/order was able to get into the 'just made available' EXTended ordering system. And it 'should' make the allocation numbers here AND may arrive at dealer May/June.

From what i've heard/read, you guys are the same boat, except instedd of 10X more units (based on population equiv.), it's like less than 20k avaialble per year.

Law of Supply vrs Demand.... find it quick, pay any cost....

Right,

nuts and bolts, I got screwed, on my 1st unit

now I am getting doubled doweled/glued and screwed

Trying to locate a 2nd unit.

It would not be such a bitter pill to "pay any price" to get a replacement for a 2nd unit if I just did not go thru a 3 month wait/repair/wait /repair sequence, holding me up from working with 2 vans as we are accustomed to, and the lost money out of the bottom line, with time and effort to correct the 1st unit.
Or for that matter if they would have just taken it back sooner I would not be in a spot where "they" have me by the small hairs.
There must be a 170ext out there somewhere, for a fair price, come on Sprinter source, don't let me down.

cheers
fraser

Sprinter

Jeez, how did You do that, I mean to pay 36.650

Sherman Dodge (Illinois) has about 80 Sprinters on the lot, all kinds, many 170's but they're all at 42 grand level and no discounts

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
It was not impossible to get a 'deal' a short time back. The principle reason was that '07 year build and dealer availability was late and thus they were piled up on the lots (some still have bulk inventory of certain flavours). So us the buyer had the window of opportunity to shop and bargin, plus dealers don't want to up their interest costs.:tongue: But as the stock goes down and '08 not arriving until early next year in trickles, dealers know they can and will get top dollar.:yell:

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Just a thought...

Go to your local friendly dealer, ask them to locate all avaliable VB2L17's nationwide. The key here is to have them tell you where they are located so that you can negotiate one on one with them. By now everyone is saying why would your local friendly dealer do that for you, since he want's the sale on bringing in the vehicle? Appeal to his sense of sympathy and good will based on your situation, (just of short of breaking down and crying:cry:). Assuming you get this info, the dealer with the most number of '07's on the lots is paying $$interest$$ on these and that is in your favour. Go to the Fleet manager too, they can make faster decisions.

Alternately, here in Canada, all dealer's inventory is listed online, so if it's the same in the US, make some coffee and start surfing.

I did find a "good guy" dealer today, who pointed me towards a few units, but they either have too many options or the dealer will not give me a break and is holding the line on "sticker".
I am almost to the point of just shoving this whole thing out the door once and for all and just sticking with my existing 2004 unit.
Its just unbelievable how greedy some people can be, and better yet they do not care that you have been through the wringer for the past 3 months.

i was hoping that some dealer/sales person would be trolling the board and find me one that has sat on a lot for bit longer.
And yes Sherman, has the most Sprinters on a lot in the midwest, and I have spoken with their key guy, who said he would call back.......he still hasn't... that was 3 days ago.

cheers
fraser

PLUMMER

When I did my nationwide search I had to do it myself, as NO dealer frielghtliner or dodge would even think of doing a search,let alone tell me where they were at. Motly because the dealers will not trade the units. And if any are being traded DONT expect a good price. When I did my nation wide search there were only 18 or so in the country, USA. Thing is I did want the good options. Most dealers were wiling to drop 2K off sticker in less than a 15 minute conversation 2 or 3 would not. I would just do a dodge search yourself , it'll take about 4 hours but you can search tyhe whole country. just pay attention tot he $$$$$ and length. This will help eliminate alot of what you have to look at.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
If you 'give up' now, which i can sympathize with, why not just factory order a new '08 exactly the way you want/need. Most FLEET MANAGERS will do an "X" over dealer cost deal with you 1) You know what you want and a have a list ready 2) They buy a "Sold" vehicle so there's minimal interest and work involved.

In the interim, just get a 'beater' tgo get by for the next 6 months....

RampNOW

You can do your own search on Dodges website. Dodge thinks they are smart, when you click on the window sticker it gives you a brief flash of truth for a second and then says "page error".

When you click on a vehicle sticker, do a quick "control -P" and print the window sticker during the second brief flash of truth. If you have Adobe Acrobat loaded, you can do a "virtual print" saving time, ink and paper.

I did not find one that fit my needs within 150 miles. With the high prices, low fuel economy and top level service cost, I'll probably get another pickup truck or a GMC cargo van. Fuel savings are not enough to justify the other problems.

yep that is my last hope

colonial dodge gets the ring 1st up monday morning.

humes in erie pa, will not budge. we are $800 apart and they will not come off sticker. Humes could have sold me a van, cash buyer, Last friday of the month if they would have moved a bit off sticker.
I hope Colonial has enough sense to deal a bit.
Otherwise I will keep looking to further states.
I did spend a couple hrs yesterday and today lurking thru van inventory and the only other ones available are low 40's, not an option for me.
I am also hoping that my dcx rep may be able to squeeze a bit of goodwill towards me and or nudge a dealer to play fair with me based on my prior 3 months exp.
I would have hoped to be in a new van already.
cheers
and thanks for the pointers and advice
fraser

Xperia

Friendly Beverage
i hate to say it especially on my first post but i bought the 2500 170 ext from the ebay seller near dallas last friday for $36,500. i have wanted a sprinter for years and when my 07 3500 extended mega roof order was cancelled and i had to wait to order the 2008 which wont be here for at least 9 months (and no mega roof) i just couldnt wait any longer. the dealer in texas did say he had a buyer that was just about ready to confirm . my dodge guy said there were 3 170 ext no window cargos left in the US. one was in skokie il but i didnt call on that. the other is a 3500 170 ext no window in thousand oaks cali for $42,115. it was a special order and the buyers financing fell through. i almost bought it when i found the 2500 in texas that was more nicely optioned and much cheaper.

Xperia

Friendly Beverage
You might call dave smith motors in kellogg idaho and ask for vince ext 1300 he has helped me with 2, 2007 dodge cummins 3500's and ordered my 2008 sprinter 3500 ext.
they had a line on 2500 170 ext cargos but they had door windows and i dont play that !
vince also told me where all the no window 170 ext were located in the US.
as i recall the 2500 170 ext were $37,900 but he said they couldnt touch $36,500 price from the texas dealer

Xperia

Friendly Beverage
lol Frasier! its funny this was the first sprinter i saw on my ebay search and i checked around for aprx an hour and decided it was the one i wanted. i hear there is one in skokie with no windows but i didnt call on the price. good luck with all!

Re: I bought a 170 ext

made a deposit today
paperwork arrives am friday
van comes into my greedy hands end of next week
thank you colonial dodge

up goes a very splendid 2004 with 40k mi onto the market

champagne should flow next weekend

cheers

fraser

Top Bottom