Yosemite, Ca If you have never been there, this might do.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Climbing Half-Dome May 25th. Got my permit. Hopefully it doesn't rain and the snow has melted.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Try to break free early and be in northern California (Klamath, the I-5 rest stop just north of Redding, or just north of Lassen Peak) around 6pm on Sunday May 20th... for the Annual Eclipse of the sun (it'll also be sweeping down into Texas)
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2012May20Agoogle.html
and http://www.eclipse-chasers.com/tseNext.php?TSE=ase2012d

An Annular eclipse is one where the moon is too far away to completely mask the sun... so you still see a full-sun's-brightness ring (the annulus) around the moon's shadow.
Unlike the more spectacular "total eclipse" most people seek, the total phase of an Annular still requires full eye protection (or a pinhole camera projection) due to the still-visible solar surface.

Annular (heavily filtered):
EclipseAnnular.jpg

Total (naked eye during totality):
EclipseTotal.jpg

There'll be a blue Sprinter madly seeking clear western skies driving around down there...

--dick

bstory

It was actually hot when we were there the last week in April. Had to take blankets off the bed and keep the Fantastic fan open at night. No bears but lots of persistent ravens and squirrels.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
. I would expect Tioga pass to be open by then as well. Super low snow year.
It would be nice if it were open (more camping spots!)
We're booked in to Summerdale on the 23rd, and North Pines on the 24th.

--dick

glas1700

Boater

Not according to their web site a couple of days ago
(but i fully agree that the website is the last to learn...)

Added: NOW the website shows all roads open (but the campgrounds still aren't scheduled until July)
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm#CP_JUMP_106631

thanks, it'll affect exit route planning.
--dick
Kind of late finding the thread, we drove over at the end May 2001. We had no idea it might be closed until we were well on the way (kind of dumb really as we had been through from Tuolumne and out the Merced (el portal?) only a week area before heading down to Kernville so we must have passed the road closed signs at the other end). The pass was open but most of the campgrounds were still covered in deep snow - arriving late in the day we managed not to get stuck and reversed out of our intended site to head back down the mountain to a different one, which it turned out was only half open because half the pitches were still covered in snow. I think the reason the campsites are advertised as open in July is that they can comfortably accept pre-bookings for July without having to worry about the campgrounds or pass still being under snow, but if you happen to be there earlier and they have manged to get them open they will take you, if they have enough pitches.

It must have been just before the memorial day weekend started, we came back in over Tioga pass (fantastic!) and ended up running the Merced (below the park) down to a campsite. The following day the minivan went off to hike Half Dome and the 2 Blazers went to run Cherry Creek, but we had forgotten to fill up and one of them died on the way up to Pine Flat, which didn't impress the State Troopers much because they were getting ready for a weekend of heavy traffic and there we were first thing in the morning, stuck at the side of the road! We managed to tow it a bit to somewhere less obstructive but broke a couple of sets of roof rack straps, the main probelm was that without power steering or brake assistance the dead car was a nightmare to 'drive'. Fortunately they had jerry cans for sale at the gas station so the other car brought us enough fuel to get there and fill up!

The worst of it was that on arrival at Cherry Creek with my playboat I decided it wasn't really a good run for a playboat and didn't get on - Doh! I am now recalling a 3 hour shuttle drive, unable to find the right dirt road, stopping at a campsite to ask some guys who were too stoned to know where they were never mind how to get where we were going, and then puncturing one of the cars just as we reached the takeout.

I like California, must get back there one day!

HarryN

Fire fall - that is an amazing concept.

I guess a person could safely do it from a dam in the middle of no where, but how to get approval? unlikely.

Top Bottom