PDA

View Full Version : Injector Advice Wanted

pneumatician
04-20-2012, 10:12 PM
As my 10 year old 316cdi has been somewhat down on power and lumpy I took it to a dealer for a diagnostics check. Unfortunately 2 Injectors were misbehaving.
The mechanic took all of the injectors out replaced the duff ones and refitted the others.
I was standing by him all of the time and watched the process from beginning to completion.
No new injector seals fitted, original bolts reused and no anti-seize paste? used.
The vans performance is fully restored and sound a treat.

Having read how it should be done since arriving back home.
Do I now remove the injectors,fit new seals and bolts with the ceramic paste or do I leave as is ?

Should the injector bodies be coated with an anti-seize paste as well as the bolts ?

Is "Copper Slip" suitable ? I use it on spark plug threads etc.

Steve

owner
04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Far out you definitely need to get those old bolts and seals out of there as a bare minimum. Clamps are the only thing you could maybe argue against reusing. But why risk it for the sake of afew bux.

You alo need to do it asap bbefore the seals leak and glue the injectors in place, or worse - the bolts snap.

There is a "special grease" that MB sell for the injector body. I've never put any anti seize type stuff on the bolts. This is on OM612.

Will see if I can find the part number for the special grease.
Edit: it's A001989425110

pneumatician
04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Removed the injectors etc. After just 40 miles there are signs of blow back on one. Working on 4 & 5 is reminiscent of working on my wife's plastic pig (Reliant Robin) many years ago, more or less by feel but you could gain access from inside the car . Trying to see if the injector bores are clean has proved to be difficult. Made a wooden dowel cleaning tool which seems to have done the job. Waiting for Mr Mercedes to open tomorrow to get the paste and copper washers. Noticed the bore bottom is not flat but conical by a few degrees.

Thanks Steve

brassarl
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Removed the injectors etc. After just 40 miles there are signs of blow back on one. Working on 4 & 5 is reminiscent of working on my wife's plastic pig (Reliant Robin) many years ago, more or less by feel but you could gain access from inside the car . Trying to see if the injector bores are clean has proved to be difficult. Made a wooden dowel cleaning tool which seems to have done the job. Waiting for Mr Mercedes to open tomorrow to get the paste and copper washers. Noticed the bore bottom is not flat but conical by a few degrees.

Thanks Steve

Have you looked at this thread? Might be useful info...
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179693&highlight=replace+injector#post179693