PDA

View Full Version : 07 mystery fuel leak. Help!!!

djcarl6
04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
07 sprinter 3.0 diesel has a fuel leak that appears to be coming from the fuel drain hole behind the starter. The top of the motor is dry. I have used a camera type probe to check the top of the block to verify there was no fuel coming from there. Any ideas? doesnt make sense to me that fuel would be coming from there.

jdcaples
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
From your posting, I can't tell if you've done this: Pull off the engine cover(s) and look for leaks while the engine's running.

There is a supply side to the common rail and a low-pressure line which conveys uninjected fuel back to the fuel tank. The low pressure line is called the "leak oil line" by the Germans. It's made of flexible tubing and plastic-ish "T" fittings which are easily broken if the cover is muscled on w/o assuring proper alignment.

I don't recall any fuel line anywhere near the starter.

-Jon

djcarl6
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have the covers off of the top of the motor. I can see all the fuel lines from supply to return, there are no leaks from any of these. The hole that the fuel is coming out of is a cast or factory drilled drain for the intake valley of the motor. This is why it is a mystery. i can see no reason why i would have fuel coming from this hole but that is where it is coming from.

jdcaples
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have the covers off of the top of the motor. I can see all the fuel lines from supply to return, there are no leaks from any of these. The hole that the fuel is coming out of is a cast or factory drilled drain for the intake valley of the motor. This is why it is a mystery. i can see no reason why i would have fuel coming from this hole but that is where it is coming from.

Can you post a picture of the hole? What you're describing isn't documented as far as I can tell (not much of a surprise, but there you go). I'd be tempted to poke something thin and bendy/pliable in the hole to see if it comes out on the other end; maybe some plumbing solder so something similar.

djcarl6
04-20-2012, 07:31 PM

hope these work. i took a picture of the first one on top using a remote camera and the bottom one is with my phone so hope you understand what they are. i am unable to get any type of wire through the holes because of bends in the casting. I know that they connect together because fuel run down from the top hole comes out the hole by the starter.

stujohns
08-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Did you ever find the leak? I am having the identical issue and there is not a lot of participation in this issue. Any findings would be appreciated.

smcguyer
09-07-2015, 07:31 PM
One guy wrapped paper and I quess tape, around all his fuel line nuts and connections and found one leaking fuel line nut where the paper was wetted. It was a tiny leak that would up dripping down a fuel rail and out the rear of the engine.