PDA

View Full Version : bolt type or name????

sorryhoney
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
What do you call the 6 pint "bolt" that holds the bench seat plats to the floor in a NCV3 sprinter? Looks like a reversed (male) Torx bolt?

thanks

Aqua Puttana
04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Tool manufacturers generally refer to it as an "external" Torx. FWIW. vic

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=torx+socket&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15574619612713903445&sa=X&ei=ozmPT9-pOcTj0QHd5JzODw&ved=0CIYBEPMCMAM#

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/Ratchets-Sockets/Sockets-Steel/socket-1-2-drive-t60-internal-torx?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sockets-Steel-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CODd3cizv68CFQdN4AodvHYe0g

sorryhoney
04-18-2012, 10:15 PM
:hugs::clapping::professor:THANK YOU!!!! :smirk::rad::cheers:

cahaak
04-19-2012, 02:44 AM
You can use any higher grade bolt (grade 8+) that fits the thread pattern. You don't have to use the E star head. I think when I ground off the welded in bolts to add the third seat attachment point to the second row in my T1N, I took the old ground off bolts to check the thread and then bought new ones. You need to make sure that they are hardened so they don't per chance shear off in an accident.

Chris

Altered Sprinter
04-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Sorry honey but it's a AWU UNIC.

Torque down sequence.
Lefty-Lo0sey or Righty Tighty.
:smirk:

jmoller99
04-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Many 12 point wrenches fit these (try different metric or SAE sizes until you find a match). Harbor Freight sells socket sets for these - they may not be the best, but I usually replace the ones I take out with grade 5 or grade 8 metric bolts (depending on where they were from). I don't care for these bolt heads a whole lot.

Aqua Puttana
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I've found new use for the few 12 point sockets I have now that I'm dealing with external Torx. Otherwise my preference in sockets is always 6 point.

... I don't care for these bolt heads a whole lot.

I agree. Initially I didn't care for them at all. I've found that as my stash of tools to fit them increases I've grown to accept them more. That said, I've replaced some of the sheet metal Torx fasteners holding the driver box fiber electrical cover with standard Phillips screws. The Phillips heads allow off center access and easier R&R. I've threatened to change over the Allen heads on my plastic injector cover, but again that hasn't happened with better tool selection. FWIW. vic

sailquik
04-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Guys,
Here's a complete set of Lisle (good tools/good warranty automotive tools I've used for years)
for $21.63.
Don't compromise your safety and the safety of others (not to mention the safety of your Sprinter) by replacing really good fully spec'd out for the application bolts with Gr. 5 or Gr. 8 bolts made to completely different specifications from your auto parts store (who knows where they were made and if they really meet US/SAE Gr.5 or Gr. 8 specs).

http://www.nextag.com/Lisle-LIS26280-Master-Torx-654229259/prices-html

WalMart also has a set as well for <$35!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Titan-17403-E-Star-Socket-Set-External-Torx-Set-13-Piece/15523472

You can even get Craftsman Tools for a few $ more.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934570000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00934570000

Why are these bolts used by Mercedes?
The fasteners are mfg'd to stringent ISO/MB specs, and they work really well on automated assembly line torque controlled air tools.

If you need replacements, go to your MB dealer..... they can get you the correct fasteners (traceable to your VIN #) for very little more $$
than you will spend at the local auto parts store for generic Gr.5-Gr.8 fasteners.
Roger

jmoller99
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
The challenge I have is that (like the old Brittish cars, up to the mid 1950's, that used Whitworth as their standard nut/bolt sizing) if you are out on the road, you have to carry a set of these sockets with you because, the odds are good that any mechanic that you run into is unlikely to have a set, and may not be able to work on your vehicle.

As fond as I am of using a pair of vise grips in place of a correctly sized wrench of socket, I would rather use more common sized bolt heads. I am sure that this type of bolt head facilitates faster build times at the factory, but I don't care for them. hopefully none are used anywhere where you have to use an impact wrench with your special sockets.

I bought a set of sockets from Harbor Freight (actually, 2 sets to get all of the sizes) and they travel with my Sprinter in case I need them on the road, along with all the various size and length of Torex drivers (I have replaced most of the Torex bolts on my 1992 Jeep with regular bolt head parts over the years when I had things apart).

Fortunately, if you have a large set of Metric and SAE (US inch based) 12 point tools , you can usually use some of those, if you take the time to try for the best fit.

I recall watching mechanics at a car shop using a pipe wrench to remove some axle nuts (this was back in the late 1960's) because they did not have the right sized metric socket and they did not have an SAE socket that was close enough to use. They got the work done, but the result was ugly. I say its better to use standard bolt heads, and I wish Mercedes had done that.

I agree its hard to know what you are buying when it comes to hardware store or auto parts store nuts and bolts. That doesn't change my desire to replace these bolts with standard metric head bolts when I have things apart. I do re-use the existing bolts if I don't have a replacement that is the right length.

I have a large stash of grade 5 and grade 8 metric bolts in my shop. I normally throw out the old bolts that I swap out. I have not had any problems yet.