Removing Fiamma 45i awning

rrinsma

Anyone have experience with removal of a Fiamma 45i awning from a 2006/2007 Roadtrek or like high roof Sprinter? Brackets appear to be resting in the rain gutter at bottom and attached to body with adhesive above. I can't see any fasteners.

I need to attach Thule feet for a roof rack so the awning needs to come off.

Thanks for any knowledge of awing install or removal that might be helpful.

rrinsma

Thanks for the kind reply. My bracket has rivets that attach the box to a channel piece that rests in the rain gutter, but no visible fasteners that can be removed.

Attachments

Therberg

Well that stinks! :frown:
Looks like the only way to remove it is to drill out the rivets. If you don't have any ,I would get a stop collar for the drill bit to keep the drill from hitting the sheet metal roof when breaking through the rivets. Something like this should do the trick.

icarus

I don't think you need to drill the rivets. If memory serves, the mount is bolted to the channel and the awing is held on with clips. You have to remove a few bolts and a locating set screw. Be aware that the awning is very heavy, and get help!

Icarus

Therberg

My picture above shows the screws I have to loosen to remove the awning, mine does not have rivets going into the brackets from inside the awning channel. :idunno:

jjrubino

I removed my Fiamma 45i awning from my 2006 Leisure Travel Free Spirit yesterday, and the process as much as described by Therberg. A complicating factor was that Leisure Travel had gobbed silicone on the brackets which bled through to the awning. This made it very difficult to break free. When it did, it came crashing down unexpectedly and made a small dent. I'd say it weighs about 75 very awkward pounds. I removed the huge amount of silicone under the brackets using my trusty Transtar Part 6673 "Tractor Wheel." SKU 45505 00245. It is an autobody "eraser wheel" for removing graphics and adhesives without damaging the paint.

Top Bottom