washable air filter for sprinter

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
anyone using these?ive been thinking of getting one for my sprinter instead of when the stock ones get too dirty just throwing it in the bin.:thinking:

"The washable, reusable, high flow flat panel filter is designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration. The (33-2319) is 1.5 inches in height (38mm) with an outside length of 12.375 inches (314 Mm) and an outside width of 10.875 inches (279mm).

Unlike disposable filters, K&N Air Filters use a unique pleated design comprised of an oiled cotton fabric sandwiched between two layers of epoxy-coated aluminum screen. The filters capture airborne dirt particles while allowing high volume air flow. These particles than cling to the outside of the filter and become part of the filtering media.

The pleating on K&N Filters for street vehicles are covered by our famous K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty and will be the last air filter your vehicle will ever need."

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=348

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Porsche Service bulletin: Do not use K&N air filters or any oil base air filters, they will eventually contaminate the MAF sensor, requiring its replacement.

showkey

KN filters can be as contraversial as an oil thread..........some love them some hate them.

The main concern is small dust particle making it through with the so called hi flow filter ........motorcycle riders are very sensitive to this dust problem. Not to mention the oil problem and the MAF that is also sensitive to dust.

There is a lot of info written pro and con.

Last edited:

Doug

Some day I will have to replace the one that came from the factory 98,000 mi. Still can get 25-26 MPG on my 04 3500 at 65 MPH.

Still have all factory light bulbs, fuel filter, turbo resonator, brakes, belts and hoses. Just oil changes per the computer about every 12-13K ,trans. fluid and filter change at 60,000 mi. ,a battery and tires.

Doug

Knock on wood has been cheap to keep.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Can't you just vacuum out the current filter until you can afford to buy a non-oiled filter? I would stick with the non-oiled ones.

I like Doug's reason for keeping the current one as he's a testbed for keeping the original for so long.

Oh also...doesn't it rain enough in Ireland to keep the dust down? :hmmm:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Max washing the existing filter is a stop gap measure as, the micron Hepa filters will block..
Don't be a goose and vacuum the filter as the vac filtration system is not a Hepa filter unless you have one of course such as 'Festo' then that will trap at least 99% of the proven and known castergen, from becoming airborne from the rear air outlet..
Washable Hepa filters "DRY" are available in a special formulation,but not available for the Sprinter.
We don't want you getting a Cancer do wee?:hugs:
Three is another way:Short stop measure" but use a respirator >>>blow it out with an airgun outside away from the wind.Then clean your hands and face, and use a girls plastic hairnet:smilewink:unless your bald of course.:rolleyes:
Richard

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
thanks folks:thumbup:i was just wondering about them as there not much dearer than the original one which i throw away,so i thought it would be a good idea to just wash it instead.ive been reading up on them thought and have decided not to bother with one.

the crap that gets through compared to the thicker paper one merc recommend is good enough reason not to bother.
ive read too that using a hoover or blow compressed air through it is not really effective as the fibers can get clogged and damaged.

the rain does keep the dust down here ok but im always suprised at the amount of crap that i find down the bottom of my filter box,might be time to try some nylons on.:smilewink:

Two problems, as I have been told. First the oil filters do not do as good job of filtering.
Second, the oil gets into the MAF sensor and then the sensor has to get replaced. My mechanic told to never put one of the oiled air filters in either of the Sprinters. I no longer use the oiled air filters.

But, they make a nice fire in the wood stove.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Two problems, as I have been told. First the oil filters do not do as good job of filtering.
Second, the oil gets into the MAF sensor and then the sensor has to get replaced. My mechanic told to never put one of the oiled air filters in either of the Sprinters. I no longer use the oiled air filters.

But, they make a nice fire in the wood stove.
What a sooty stove.:laughing:
sooty.jpg
:rolleyes:
Richard

CJPJ

Wash the stock air filter in the dishwasher!
Was told ,or I read it, can not remember,
that the stock air filter is sturdy enough,
and can withstand being cleaned two times in the dishwasher!
:thumbup:

icarus

It seems to me that you got ~$40k worth of vehicle. What is the big deal spending $15 every 10K to keep it happy?

Icarus

mcdougallutah

UtahSprinterVanMan
I have had great experience with K&N permanent filter. I live in SLC Utah which has all the extreame driving conditions with heat and dust so I monitor my air filters closely and yet the K&N's don't need to be cleaned but once every 2 years or so. Cleaning is quick and easy but it does need to dry out overnight. Cost? I bought my sprinter K&N filter for $28 online on sale. YMMV.
This is much better than changing the filter every year for 22 bucks.
Mick

CJPJ

I wash \ clean, reoil my dirt bikes
air filter, @ 50 miles too 100 miles.
:smirk:

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Well, you guys should do whatever you think prudent, but here is my testimonial. My 1990 Saab Turbo has 268,000 miles on the clock. The K&N filter fixes to the intake end of the MAF. It's been that way for at least 200,000 of those miles. I use less than a half qt of oil in 5000 mile oil changes, and have not needed to replace any power components. K&N's also grace all my racing motor bikes since the mid 70s.

The secret is to not booger it up with excess oil. A light dusting to achieve a very light pink will do nicely.

Have not decided it is cost effective yet for the Sprinter. I'll need to be driving more than the 10-12,000 miles I'm currently doing. Just my :2cents:.

Have a great day.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
k&n after 4 years and about 50k miles...

dirty side
kn dirty side.JPG

clean side
kn clean side.JPG

i forgot to look at the indicator thingy on the air box, but i didnt notice anything different in how it ran. i like 'em, got one on the dualsport bike. I usually clean that one once a year or so, 1000 -1500 miles. I have let it get so bad once in the desert, that it began to lose power. i took it off, tapped it on a rock to get some dustyoilmud off, and it ran fine again for the rest of the trip.
let the flaming begin! :rad:

Kat

Katmobile
....Don't be a goose and vacuum the filter as the vac filtration system is not a Hepa filter unless you have one of course such as 'Festo' then that will trap at least 99% of the proven and known castergen, from becoming airborne from the rear air outlet..
We don't want you getting a Cancer do wee?:hugs:

Richard
What is a "castergen"? :thinking: I was able to Google what a MAF is, but no luck with the "castergen". It sounds like a castrating carcinogen :shifty: I wouldn't be concerned about this except that I vacuumed out the air filter in my car a while ago and I just used a shop vac.

Kat

Not_Happy_About_This38.jpg

Top Bottom