PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint, How dark did you go?

PubRider
04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Picking up a 8 passenger in a week and it needs tint yesterday. :bounce:

I'm curious how dark everyone has gone and how low you went on the front strip?

Any opinions on reflective or ceramic tints?

also does any one have any info on those sun visors?

Thanks...
-TM

Peanut Butter
04-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Check out 3M's site. They sell a film called Crystalline. It keeps out 99% of UV and cuts the heat by over 50% even in a very light film.

Frosty_1
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I ordered the van with factory tint, which I would guess to be around 20%. When I had a local shop tint my front two windows, I said "match the back" and they put on 20%. I wanted the windshield done(like on my other cars:rad:), but resisted as I've read way too many posts about having to replace windshield after windshield in these Sprinters. Not to mention, windshield tinting is illegal in Oregon...:cheers:

cahaak
04-07-2012, 02:54 AM
While it is common to think that a darker film will always reject more energy (if that is the goal), you need to look at the TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejected), or SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient). The higher the better on TSER and the lower the better on SHGC. All window film makers publish these numbers as well as the % UV rejected and the visible light transmission (VLT number).

I'm writing from an area of expertise here and will let you know that for the most part there are few if any plain tinted films that can reject the kind of energy that a spectrally selective film - such as the 3M film mentioned above can reject. VLT reduction by itself only deals with about 50% of the incoming energy, so in order to get an enhanced level of heat rejection, the film will need to deal with the incoming IR radiation, which the 3M film and several others do.

Behind the B pillar, you will have the option of putting on something as dark as you want, but again, you need to look at the heat rejection numbers. Your state will have specific regulations on what the limits are on the drivers and passengers side windows are. You can find this information on the IWFA site. I would strongly encourage you to follow those rules, or stay as close to them as you can. In regards to the windshield, because of the way the federal regulations are written, one can argue that no films are allowed on there in any state, but the fact is that some films do get installed. In that case it is imperative that you use a film that is as light as possible while still delivering the heat rejection you desire for visual safety reasons. The only films that will meet this criteria will be the spectrally selective films such as the one mentioned above. There may be other issues that you need to pay attention to such as any potential signal interference for things such as GPS and Cell signals.

Do some homework and find a good shop, it is going to cost you some, but will last the life of the van. I have my entire van tinted except for the windshield and it makes a difference in the summer. I also used the Crystalline film along with an exterior version of that product on the back windows.

Chris

CJPJ
04-07-2012, 05:23 AM
NCV3's unique abillity to start a Fire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last summer, I'm guessing Sempter 10th., 2:30pm., 82. degrees.

It was a warm day but not hot! I open the Sprinter, just to let it Air!
I opened the slider fully, proceed to the back and open the rear's, to the 90.degree stops.

I go, about my business. And around 30. minute's goes by!...
Now, before I tell "what's happen"!

I want to take this chance, to tell about a modification I did to the sprinter!
I did it, and "happy with"! it.

I installed on the inside surface of rear door Windows,
a Mylar film, it's Lemo black in color!
I cut it to size, and squeegee'ed it on.

The nature of the Windows, parabolical curves, taxed my skills,
.with wrinkle's in the film around the lights periphery,
the task became chaseing the little wrinkle rascals around until the adhesive set.
The final product was not perfect, with three small wrinkle's at each light's bottom.

Now back to the story! "about 30. minutes go's by "...and I happen's to be walking towards the Sprinters rear,
and being the observant person I am, I notice the 8" plume
of smoke rising from the dry, mated, mowed, grass, being lit by Sun's light,
reflecting off the Parabolic curve of the Mylar covered Sprinters Window light. Imagine That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a picture, stored; in my digital camara. The picture is quiet dry, booring!

:popcorn:

Altered Sprinter
04-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Not too dark 60% UV resistant.
Never too hot never too cold.
Rear windows, side rear windows, and factory fitted passenger glass, same tint.
The Sun will burn your eyes out.

Inside Just nice to view what's outside, while the DW feeds on her sandwich.:popcorn:
Bullet proof! No problems uploading a Photo or two, or three even.

Aqua Puttana
04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
...Bullet proof! ...
I don't think you can go too dark in the rear area. I have many windows which were added to my cargo model. It has really dark tint. It's great for privacy during our occasional camping and good to keep prying eyes from seeing some of the stuff which lives in my van most all the time.

I was worried about logevity, but the stuff they put on mine is very serviceable. Unfortunately I don't know the brand name.

I'm guessin' 30-06, not .303 in Richard's picture. :hmmm: vic

cedarsanctum
04-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I had the same thing happen, no tint from the factory (missed that little box to check on the order form). We had tint applied, got the step below the limo tint. Now wishing i had gone with the darkest tint. It's not hard to see inside in the right conditions in daylight, and at night with lights on inside it's like being on a stage, as if there was no tint at all.
Go for the darkest tint in the rear, no extra in the cab area.
Jef

Altered Sprinter
04-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't think you can go too dark in the rear area. I have many windows which were added to my cargo model. It has really dark tint. It's great for privacy during our occasional camping and good to keep prying eyes from seeing some of the stuff which lives in my van most all the time.

I was worried about logevity, but the stuff they put on mine is very serviceable. Unfortunately I don't know the brand name.

I'm guessin' 30-06, not .303 in Richard's picture. :hmmm: vic Seven years on, the tint is in great condition , but there is an off optic look with it, side on. However it was miles cheapr than ordering the Ambo glass.
No Complaints, the only ones that took a shot at me, are on the forum.Y'all missed.:lol:

Richard

johnshmit
04-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Bullet proof!
That was a very loose statement :dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm:

Altered Sprinter
04-08-2012, 03:53 AM
The glass is laminated and the OZ film will stop a bullet from penetrating, but is used as to an opportunistic bogan trying to bust a window, the glass with the film is hard to break out of the rubber seals.
Hence Rule 303:applies as to our constitutional rights 7.7;56mmR:lol:
Reserved for Oxygenated morons.