Engine Diagnotic Light and cannot communicate

gadibbleiii

Engine Diagnostic Light and cannot communicate codes

This is about my 2008 Dodge 2500 diesel, with a Sportsmobile conversion.

My engine diagnostic light came on a couple a days ago while I was in the desert. I called a Dodge Sprinter dealer in Victorville, CA. When I told him I didn't notice any change in performance, he said I could drive it as long as the light didn't start flashing. So I drove it about a 150 miles to them to check it out.

They tried to hook up to the vehicle and read any codes. Unfortunately they were not able to get any codes out. They tried to hook up three different ways, and none were able to communicate with the engine.

A few days before this I had taken the van over about 25 miles of dirt road (washboard). He checked for any loose wires and I was told everything check out OK. I was about 400 miles from home and I was told I could drive it home with the light on, as long as it did not flash.

I drove it home and everything seems to be working normally. I got around 21-25 MPG, depending on speed.

The only thing that was also acting up was the glow plug light. Sometimes it wouldn't go out right away after the engine started.

I was wondering if anyone may have any information on what has gone wrong and what to look for? I have a Dodge and Mercedes dealer I can take it to, but it would be nice to have a idea of what could be wrong before subjecting myself to what could be a very expensive search.

BTW, the Victorville, CA dealer spent the day with the car, and changed a flat tire with my spare, and didn't charge me anything (as they didn't find anything). I offered to pay something, but was given a free ticket out the door. Kudos to them.

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

George

Last edited:

harrysalit

2019 Wonder FTB
Mine just came on, 9700 total miles but it received the 10,000 mile service at 5700 miles.
What did it take to fix your problem & what was it?
2008 Kristal RV 2500, 170 wb
Harry Salit

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Harry,

If you look at gadibbleiii's profile and posting history, it looks like gadibbleiii started posting in January of 2012, posted three times between then and April of 2012 then stopped using the forum.

Having said that, the check engine light illuminates for any number of reasons. You'll have to get it scanned to figure out why the check engine light is illuminated.

If you're worried that the scan tool won't be able to communicate over the diagnostic port to the nearly two dozen computers in your 2007/2008 Sprinter chassis, don't worry about it until it happens.

If that is a problem you're facing right now, what scan tool is the shop using?

-Jon

lindenengineering

I would just like to add.

It is fairly easy to access this model with a Snap On scanner.
Its basically the same as the TIN model with the 5 banger diesel.

However you have to follow the prompts to the letter--This 2008 Sprinter if found in the Domestic models under Chrysler and the end of the menu on age two.
Contrary to the older "TINEYS" which use the Euro cable and key S16 you use the domestic OBD2 diagnostic connect with personality key #25.

Many folk make the mistake of trying to access to truck through the Mercedes euro import programs simply because the owner wants to "pose" with MB badges all over the rig when its really a Dodge or Freightliner !
(Sorry for those who might have their feathers ruffled 'cos its still a Dodge in the shop mechie's world!)

A couple of my guys (especially the new guys --FNG's) occasionally have been thrown a curve ball on this when using the Merb based scanners we have.
Snappy will access most of the programs, but not the security modules.

Out of interest have you got an aftermarket radio in the rig?
Often audio installers use the Mil feeds as connector to get a positive or in fact power up the negative for audio feeds. In some cases it blows out the expensive scanner in the hands of the mechanic you send out to read codes etc. Or the polarity protection on some scanners won't allow access, Also a fuse check is also in order.
For that reason I use a cheapo Launch CReader scanner for basic OBD communication to read things before bringing the big expensive guns to bear.
Basically the canary in the Cole Mine theory.
Dennis

For anyone who may read the earlier information about the "Flashing Engine Light" MIL, CEL...

To my knowledge, as of this time that feature isn't included in our diesel Sprinter programming. The flashing icon feature is used in some gasoline engine programs to show that a more serious fault code has been triggered.

We have a somewhat similar response in the form of LHM Limp Home Mode. That gives the computer the ability to limit power and help to protect drive train components from further damage while still allowing you to operate. FWIW. vic

gadibbleiii

I apologize for not posting an update to my Mar 2012 message. We were abroad in June I had forgotten about it since then.

See attached PDF "2012-04-04 Victorville ...." for original inspection.

At the beginning of April I drove the van to my Dodge dealer 10 miles away, with the light on. It was on when I turned the engine off. They checked it out for $135 and found nothing to repair, but noted some errors. They told me the light was not on when they started the van for the inspection.
See attached PDF file "2012-04-10 Folsom Dodge.."

At the end of April the engine light came back on. I took it back to Folsom Dodge and this time they replaced the glow plug #2 which seemed to fix the problem. Because it was an emission problem, it was covered under warranty and I was not charged. Note mileage at 72826/72835.
See attached PDF "2010-05-10 Engine light.."

At the beginning of September we took off for a cross country trip to Michigan and beyond. Before going I changed the oil, oil filter, air and cabin filter. I took the van into Folsom Dodge to change the fuel filter (still haven't done that one yet), and to check out the vehicle. Turns out I needed new front brakes (with rotors) for a tune of around $1K. Mileage when I started the trip was at 75899.

Our initial plan was to to visit Glacier Park, MT then head towards Michigan. As we were passing through Idaho a forest fire was starting up. By the time we got to Missoula, MT the air was so thick with smoke the area was condition red.

On Saturday morning as we were heading out I noticed the engine light was on. Approximate mileage 77200. After calling around I couldn't find any able to check it out until Monday. I called Folsom Dodge for ideas. I was the engine light could come on for any one of about 600 reasons. I knew from my previous experience of driving from Victorville to Sacramento that as long as the engine light was not blinking I could drive it without damaging the engine. After mapping out a few dealers eastward, we aborted our trip to Glacier NP and began heading eastward. We would get it checked out on Monday at the nearest dealer.

After driving about 500 miles or so and a couple of refuels of top-tier gas(?) I noticed engine light had gone off. We continued on our journey to Boston and back to Sacramento without any further engine light problems. End of trip on 10/7/ with mileage around 86000 miles. I started with 12.5 quarts of oil and put two quarts in, the last one about 350 miles from home.

Also included in the attachments is a 2012-04-16 letter I received from a legal firm about the Sprinter's engine light problems. I imagine others on this forum received the same letter. I did mention this letter to Folsom Dodge when taking it in for the second time.

I would like to see all the 600 reasons that an engine light could come on. Since my light went out after I got into clean air, I wonder if how the smokey fire conditions might have contributed. I don't think fuel from different vendors would have effected it, but while lit, I thought it wouldn't hurt to put in the best brand I could think of and find (Exxon vs. Quick Stop).

Yesterday I changed my oil and filter, and began researching again how to change my fuel filter. I saw the subsequent posts to my original message and again apologize for not keeping the forum up-to-date. I'm thinking I'll also change the air filters even though it's only be 10K miles.

Would appreciate any thoughts on engine light coming on.

George

Attachments

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
You lost 2 qt's of oil in 10k? This is not normal.

Possible you may have added the wrong oil in the last change prior... and loss is the contributing factor to your CEL...

gadibbleiii

Thanks for you comment.

I used what Mercedes Rocklin sold me: 5W-40 Mobil1, MS Approved 229.51. When I reset my ASYSST today, I did notice that it was not one of the types of oil listed:

STANDARD
Qual229.31
Qual228.51

I left it at STANDARD.

George

Top Bottom