Outside temperature reading is wrong

mightystrat

I've had my 2007 View (2006 Sprinter) in storage all winter. I just took it out for the first time last this week on a 1,200 mile round trip and I noticed the temperature indicator (that switches between it and the clock) was reading about 20-30 degrees F too high. I was at the top of Lookout Pass and it said 58 degrees. No way. I hooked up my DAD when I got home and the heating system ambient temp on the screen matches what is on the gauge. Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the temp indicator showed the outside temperate. Any advice appreciated.

-missoula mike

icarus

The probe is behind the front license plate, a torpedo looking thing with a wire. Make sure it is still poking through the front, and not picking up engine heat.

Icarus

PS I nearly got killed on look out about 3 weeks ago in a brisk snow fall. Tractor trailer were chained up, I was in the Subaru with real tires on it. The last climb to the summit, (just after sunset) I went out to pass to Semis who were going ~15 mph,, I gave the guy the blink as I pulled out, but the driver must not have seen me,, as I got opposite the trailer duals, he started oozing over, until I was being squeezed against the barrier,, a quick hit of the brakes and I was able to drop in behind him,, but the duals were no more than 6" from the passenger window, while the drivers mirror was nearly clicking the jersey barrier!

T

mightystrat

I checked and the probe is indeed poking through the front like it is supposed to be. It seems to be reading 20 degrees hotter than the actual temperature. The engine was cold this time so it couldn't be engine heat. Anyone ever seen this issue?

-missoula mike

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The probes *can* die (and usually in a "reads too warm" direction). I've had to replace my Intake Air Temp sensor 3 times.
With the engine cold and idling, the IAT reading should be close to the Ambient reading
(the IAT sensor is after the intercooler, just before the intake manifold)

You could *start* by unplugging/replugging the Ambient sensor's connector, but a "too warm" reading happens when the resistance *drops*, not rises, so it's unlikely to be a "poor" connection.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you have an ohmmeter, the sensor probably should read around 5000 or 6000 ohms at 68F (20C).
(the exact reading depends upon the specific component they're using).
A 40F warmer error would probably read much lower (about half, if it's like the IAT)
(when my IAT failed last time, it was registering 600 ohms instead of 6000 at 20C/68F.
The Sprinter saw that as 145F)

Here's the T1N temperature/resistance curve for the IAT... i'd expect the Ambient to be similar:
IATcurve.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom