PDA

View Full Version : If only Merc still owned Chrysler who still owned Jeep.

ECU
04-01-2012, 03:19 AM
http://a57.foxnews.com/img.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/660/371/MP012_027JP.jpg

Altered Sprinter
04-01-2012, 03:58 AM
Looks as old as a this 406 1974 MOG by Mercedes currently in Canada.
Richard

ECU
04-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Brand new. Jeep CJ cab with a short nose.

Altered Sprinter
04-01-2012, 05:04 AM
Brand new. Jeep CJ cab with a short nose. Your gotta be kidding me.:lol:
Yeah Babe picture this 2012 Mog in your back rear view mirror.

jdcaples
04-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Richard's not the only one that thinks it looks like a unimog. Mike Magrath - or his editor - thinks so much so, that "unimog" is in the title.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/03/jeep-mighty-fc-concept-is-the-american-unimog-of-our-dreams-plus-some-other-jeep-concepts.html

Altered Sprinter
04-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Now there is a 2012 Mog.
with usurious supercilious Bling... toys for the boys, along side of an ancient Mog that the everyday folk could afford.

And then there is a somewhat retro look:doh: from the Jeepster 1960 FC 170 thrown in, with the Commodore side from 72. seriously who would buy that in volume.

I'd rather the narrow pick up tray on the rear.good for a case of beer:drink:
Crazy design if you ask me.
Richard

Peanut Butter
04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
What is the VW Thing looking thing that the gentleman is readying to cut up with a chain saw?

Altered Sprinter
04-01-2012, 12:10 PM
What is the VW Thing looking thing that the gentleman is readying to cut up with a chain saw?
Likely what Chrysler gonna dump on door step:lol:

jdcaples
04-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Source:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/whats-wrong-with-this-picture-this-modern-unimog-edition/

Here you can see an original Unimog (right), built sometime between the start of production in 1948 and 1951, when Mercedes bought the operation in order to expand it enough to keep up with demand. On the left is a “60th Anniversary” Unimog design concept, celebrating not the actual birth of the Unimog, but its purchase by Mercedes.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

-Jon

jimgarfield
04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
That shot of the original Unimog together with the 60th anniversary concept pretty much sums up what is wrong with most auto design these days - imho.

The original design evolved from pure function, and the concept is extravagantly irrelevant.

Hmr
04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Got to check out the FC concept up close in Moab today:
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-sPxcsks/0/L/i-sPxcsks-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-n3k43gF/0/L/i-n3k43gF-L.jpg

It's huge and very cool.

FWIW- Lots and lots of homebuilt Sprinter campers cruising around Moab right now. Pretty cool to see so many different ideas.

jdcaples
04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
If anyone gets close to this thing again, I'd like to see the engine.

Is UAW this?

http://www.uaw.org/page/who-we-are

-Jon

gary 32
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
That shot of the original Unimog together with the 60th anniversary concept pretty much sums up what is wrong with most auto design these days - imho.

The original design evolved from pure function, and the concept is extravagantly irrelevant.

Well stated Jim, is there hope for the automotive world?

Whoever the hell owns jeep now please make this. My order; Forward Control Crew Cab, same color, 32" tires, 4 cyl diesel, 6spd manual, sheet metal interior, rubber floor.
I will need delivery in early 2014, remember pure function, no irrelevance.

jdcaples
04-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Jeep is owned by Chrysler Fiat, yes?
-Jon

gary 32
04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Sound familiar?:dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm: ny times:

The marriage of an all-American Jeep with the Italian luxury heritage of a Maserati is the best evidence yet that Chrysler and Fiat can create products together that they could not afford to make independently, auto analysts said.
“This merger is the closest thing to a truly symbiotic relationship that the industry has ever seen,” said Jim Hall, managing director of the automotive consulting firm 2953 Analytics.
Ever since Fiat took control of Chrysler, Mr. Marchionne has said he planned to leverage the strengths of both companies and operate them as co-equals.
But that goal was questioned by industry analysts who saw how Daimler-Benz dominated Chrysler during their nine-year merger.

“Daimler could never figure out what to do with Chrysler because they had no interest in integrating it into their business,” Mr. Hall said. “But Fiat actually believes it needs Chrysler for mass purchasing of parts.”

surlyoldbill
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I know a kid who found a mint FC150 in my little hometown in central Oregon, and bought it for $1000. Luckily the kid restored it instead of trashing it going 4-wheeling. Another teenager was driving around a Chevy Cameo with what looked like original paint, a lot of time capsules are in the barns there.
I saw my first FC150 at Hot August Nights car show a few years ago, and owning a Corvair Rampside at the time, I was intrigued. I think the concept car might be a seller, but I would like to see running gear that is oriented toward the trades or ranch use (read: user serviceable) rather than just wrapping conventional Cherokee chassis in a new skin. The Gladiator concept was also great, but never came to light.

Say, the new FC with a 4BT?!

surlyoldbill
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
If anyone gets close to this thing again, I'd like to see the engine.

Is UAW this?

http://www.uaw.org/page/who-we-are

-Jon

God, I hope not. Dead in the water even before production.

jdcaples
04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
It's a concept vehicle. I have no idea what the stats are on concepts going to production, but I'm guessing in times where people have less disposable cash to spend on monthly payments for toys, the chance of this thing going to market is about as likely as Sprinter-Source members loving the next diesel powered, grande (emission control) complication on wheels.

-Jon

surlyoldbill
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
It's a concept vehicle. I have no idea what the stats are on concepts going to production, but I'm guessing in times where people have less disposable cash to spend on monthly payments for toys, the chance of this thing going to market is about as likely as Sprinter-Source members loving the next diesel powered, grande (emission control) complication on wheels.

-Jon

Yeah, it would never go into production because it's too unusual. There may be a Jeep pickup, or a likely Jeep badged Ducato.

shortshort
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Sound familiar?:dripsarcasm::dripsarcasm: ny times:

The marriage of an all-American Jeep with the Italian luxury heritage of a Maserati is the best evidence yet that Chrysler and Fiat can create products together that they could not afford to make independently, auto analysts said.
“This merger is the closest thing to a truly symbiotic relationship that the industry has ever seen,” said Jim Hall, managing director of the automotive consulting firm 2953 Analytics.
Ever since Fiat took control of Chrysler, Mr. Marchionne has said he planned to leverage the strengths of both companies and operate them as co-equals.
But that goal was questioned by industry analysts who saw how Daimler-Benz dominated Chrysler during their nine-year merger.

“Daimler could never figure out what to do with Chrysler because they had no interest in integrating it into their business,” Mr. Hall said. “But Fiat actually believes it needs Chrysler for mass purchasing of parts.”

The symbiosis must be incredible, since Jeep and Maserati are the two most unreliable marques this side of Yugo. Brrrrr....

gary 32
04-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Symbiotic relationship Definition

A symbiotic relationship is a relationship between two entities which is mutually beneficial for the participants of the relationship. Thus there is a positive-sum gain from cooperation. This is a term commonly used in biology to explain the relationship between two entities that need each other to survive and prosper. The bumblebee and the flower would be an example. The bumble bee extracts the flower's pollen for protein and its nectar for energy. The bumblebee, while collecting these sources, inadvertently brushes pollen from one flower to another to ensure the flower's reproduction process begins. The bumblebee needs the flower to survive, the flower needs the bumblebee to survive. These are positive sum relationships. Other relationships in biology, especially with respect to the food chain, are not so forgiving, being a zero sum relationship, where one player clearly benefits from the other (typically consumes the other). In this type of relationship, it is still essential that both players (as species not individuals) survive, or the dominant player will lose its food supply, and therefore die. If the foxes kill all the chickens, the foxes die as they lose their source of survival. If the predator kills all its prey, the predator will die.

One can see a symbiotic relationship between Venture Capitalists and Entrepreneurs. Venture Capitalists need early stage investment opportunities. These are provided by entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs need investment capital to develop their ideas, these are provided by the Venture Capital community. Thus both industries benefit from each others participation, a positive sum game. It is important that each keeps this in perspective, as if one industry tried to exert additional pressure (prisoners dilemma!) then in the short term they may be better off, but the long term survival of the relationship would be put at risk if it meant that the other player may not survive.

jdcaples
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
DaimlerChrysler wasn't so much a marriage of equals, or symbiotic relationship, but more of a one-night-stand between two consenting adults that really didn't like one another in the sober morning after; but they continued to keep up masquerade - year after year, disappointed owner after disappointed owner - all for appearences' sake.

The Fiat/Chrysler partnership's fate isn't a foregone conclusion, inspite of the potential for a self-fufilling prophesy as pontificated from the peanut gallery by the automotive industry & financial reporters.

-Jon